PDA

View Full Version : Reflectors

StirCrazy
12-07-2001, 01:15 AM
what kind of material are people who make there own hood using for reflectors? I mean I have some ideas but now that I have that little meter I can test different things to see what kind of a diference they actualy make.. I was thinking a mirror (anything wrong with them) if you can think of other things that might be cheep for me to try let me know.

Steve

titus
12-07-2001, 01:51 AM
Hello,

Aluminum sheet and alnuminum foil. I try to stay away from glass as most aren't suitable to be used near water.

Titus

StirCrazy
12-07-2001, 01:56 AM
oh realy.. I never knew that Titus, is it the coating for the mirror or is it the type of glass its self? I would have thought it good as the fish tanks are glass..

Steve

Dale D
12-07-2001, 02:54 AM
Over the years I've used just about everything for reflectors.

I've used everything from white metal flashing from Revy to mylar film (I think that's what it's called) that I found at a busted grow-op, along with a few other items that are now in use in my lighting system. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Some times the police leave behind some useful stuff. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Right now I am using reflectors made out of some kind of polished metal that has a hammered surface finish and it works fine.

Dale

Silverfish
12-07-2001, 03:23 AM
Hey Steve, I am using some bright white aluminum sheet metal that I had laying around at work. I bent it up on my brake to look like the reflectors that I have seen.. it seems to work ok. I have heard that polished and hammered metal (aluminum) works the best.

Bruce

reefburnaby
12-07-2001, 03:42 AM
Hi,

Aluminum Flashing with white paint (or aluminum foil).

I don't think I can use Mylar...it would probably melt due to the heat.

- Victor.

titus
12-07-2001, 05:34 AM
Hello,

The glass use for the aquariums are transparent with no coating. The mirrors have a reflective coating that overtime will fade away, or whatever happens to them. Just look at the edges of the mirror in the bathroom.

As for mylar sheet melting? I never thought of that as that's what the hydroponics people use.

Titus

reefburnaby
12-07-2001, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Mylar start to loose its form around 60 degrees (becomes easy to mold)...I guess if we put it around a MH lamp...it would melt images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.

Sparrow
12-08-2001, 12:28 AM
I think the reason why people don't use mirrors is because it cracks under the intense heat.

I've tried mylar but I found it awkward to try and stick it inside the canopy. Plus it seems to contort with the heat after awhile. I could never get it to remain flush against the surface.

Instead I went with a product by 3M called Spectralum(or something like that). I picked up a sheet for about $30-40 CDN (5' x 1') from a lighting wholesaler. Pretty effective (~96% Reflectivity) but because it is a coated aluminum surface it's hard to clean when salt creep and water spots get's on to it.

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

Delphinus
12-08-2001, 03:44 AM
EEYYIIII!!! Don't use mirrors or mylar.

As has been said already. But I second the notions.

Mylar will melt.

Mirrors ... probably will crack under the heat. Yes we use glass in our tanks but not OVER our lighting!

(Um ... are we talking about halide lighting here? I just assumed we were.)

Ok, if we're just talking about NO fluorescents, then the risk isn't as great. But you know what, a canopy is an awesome little heat sink. Even NO lighting will get warm.

If you want to cheap out and do some DIY reflectors, here are some suggestions. Take it from the king of cheapskates, these ideas are pretty workable.

1. Polished aluminium flurorescent relfector. You should be able to get it from a hydroponics store. The stuff is as shiny as a mirror ("hey! I can see my face!! images/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) Inexpensive, and metal, so no issues of shattering or melting. Cuts (tin snips) and bends pretty easy.

2. Aluminium flashing. You can get this stuff in rolls from the hardware store. It's used in roofing (um, I think.) You then go get a rubbing compound called "Brasso" and start rubbing it on the sheet and rubbing it off with a rag. Supposedly this is how you polish up aluminium up to a mirror like finish. Also easy to cut with tin snips but maybe not as easy to shape. But should work just fine.

3. A white background. Go with melamine paint on the inside of the hood, or white marine paint, something like that .... my 50g has this and it's worked fine for me for the last 4 or 5 years. (Although I will be putting reflectors in my new tank that I'm setting up. Splurge city!)