PDA

View Full Version : blue boxfish

Skimmer Juice
01-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Does anyone have a blu boxfish if so are they hard to keep alive

Tarolisol
01-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Where did you find a blue box fish ive been looking for one for a long time.

Skimmer Juice
01-17-2006, 06:18 AM
I dont have one but getting one . Go to riverfront they have had them.Just wondering if anyone had any luck with one

Tarolisol
01-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Ive kept a regular box fish a couple years ago, before that tank came down with velvet. He was great one of my favorite fish would eat right from my hand and sometimes nibble on my fingers :) Never had any problems with the poison they are suppose to secreate when they die or stressed.

I saw black box fishes at riverfront... are they the same thing?

Kabong
01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
The black one's with the white spot's are actually the female of the blue boxfish.

As for boxfish in general, My understanding is they are considered "advanced" fish because they have some specific requirments. As in
#1 they are poor swimmers so they require a slower flow then most reef tanks have.
#2 they need to be fed under the water (no surface feeding) air in there digestive track can be fatal
#3 they cant be kept with cleaner fish, there "cleaning" can actually damage the box fish's skin.
#4 they may make a snack of your corals and or inverts.

Tarolisol
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
The black one's with the white spot's are actually the female of the blue boxfish.

As for boxfish in general, My understanding is they are considered "advanced" fish because they have some specific requirments. As in
#1 they are poor swimmers so they require a slower flow then most reef tanks have.
#2 they need to be fed under the water (no surface feeding) air in there digestive track can be fatal
#3 they cant be kept with cleaner fish, there "cleaning" can actually damage the box fish's skin.
#4 they may make a snack of your corals and or inverts.

Well outa all these the only thing that may actully be an issue is the feeding underwater. Mine never touched a coral. and he loved the cleaners. They would clean his mouth all the time. They are deffinitly a character.