PDA

View Full Version : Glueing Live Rock Q

j83
01-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Yesterday on Reefcentral I asked a question as to which glue works best when glueing live rock together. I got several answers and took the list to HD and nothing that was on my list was on their shelves. I guess Canadian and Amercian HD carry different stuff. Anyways I picked out 'LOCTITE SUPERGLUE GEL' - which contains Cyanoacrylate. Is this okay to use? All I want to do is take my live rock out of the water, glue it together and then put it back in ASAP. Anyone use this, any tips?

What do people use around Canada? Any epoxy that is safe?

Thanks,

Jay

Murminator
01-16-2006, 12:27 AM
I use that for frags but I have never glued rocks together before those little bottle don't go very far so ya better buy lots of them.
I have drilled holes in rocks and slid a rigid plastic rod in the them to hold them together in a freshwater aquarium before maybe that could be an option :mrgreen:

dreef
01-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Loctite super glue is great for frags but for rock i use epoxy putty.It works good on rough surfaces,not if their smooth.

j83
01-16-2006, 12:57 AM
What kind of epoxy do you use?

dreef
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
It's called bonfast epoxy putty,it's not a glue but a soft putty that when u knead it,it turns from green to white color..found a link so u can see...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=mc-hfast

Biotech
01-16-2006, 02:21 AM
I use epoxy too. There are many types to choose from - some are white and some are purple. As posted by dreef, go to J&L site and search for "epoxy", you will see at least 3 to choose from.
I believe almost all on-line and LFS carry epoxy

TNTCanada
01-16-2006, 04:46 AM
I use epoxy too but most are just free standing.

Cheers
Tylre