PDA

View Full Version : not happy with sump

martym
01-14-2006, 03:35 AM
It is a 135g sump. I'm not using baffles because of the length, i figured most things would settle before the return. I want to change that, and add baffles, to help the skimmer, i think it should be doing more than it is. First i will need to remove and store the water for about 24hrs while the silicon dries. Is this going to cause any problems with the main tank? It is a 80g. I want to add a refugium to the sump to get rid of the little 10g that I'm using now. It overflowed the other day which is what started me thinking about the sump change. Do you think it is worth the effort? Any suggestions? Thanks

snaggle
01-14-2006, 03:53 AM
As for holing the water you can use a kiddie pool to hold the water. And for the main tank add some extra power heads to keep up the flow and break the surface tension. Also set up an auto top off to keep the water from changing too much.

Brad

asherah
01-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Kiddy pool ?

Jason McK
01-14-2006, 05:48 AM
I have had my sump turned off and drained for over a week with out any adverse effects to my tank. I considered the volume of the sump a good water change after that long without running it.
I would ensure you add a power head high in the tank

J

martym
01-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys