PDA

View Full Version : Good LFS in Vancouver??

BC_Grl
05-16-2002, 03:36 AM
I will be having the opportunity to go to the Mainland this long weekend. I know where J & L Aquatics are... but that is about it.
Can anyone tell me of another good place to check out? I would need the address & tel# as well, please.

thanks!
Jeanna

reefburnaby
05-16-2002, 03:40 AM
Hi,

Animal house in Chilliwack is a good lfs with good advice.

- Victor.

BC_Grl
05-16-2002, 03:49 AM
thanks ReefBurnaby, but I would be taking the bus from PoCo. Last time I took the bus from Pitt Meadows to Abbotsford, it took me forever!<g>
I've heard of them, but I just won't be able to make it out to there.
Thanks anyway!

jeanna

Samw
05-16-2002, 03:51 AM
Usually when I drive out to the Coquitlam area, I visit J&L Aquatics, King Ed Pets, and Big Al's.

BC_Grl
05-16-2002, 03:59 AM
and I can find these people in the local phone book? I was just going to scour the phone book under PET STORES, call up a couple LFS and head out to see them. But I am not limiting myself just to the Coq area. ô¿ô

reefburnaby
05-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, I think your best bet is J&L. Most of the other stores tend to push products than provided you with good solid advice. Unless you already know what exactly you want to buy, it is best not to trust their advice.

- Victor.

ron101
05-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Ditto what Victor said :D

[ 16 May 2002, 10:55: Message edited by: Ron101 ]

pocilipora
05-16-2002, 09:23 PM
CoralOcean gets some unusual things sometimes, they are in Burnaby.

smokinreefer
05-16-2002, 10:04 PM
hey chris,
you go to coral ocean often?
last time i talked to him, he said he was beginning to steer away from sps, cuz his system wasnt ideal conditions for them(if they didnt sell right away).
FWIW, i never see sps there, cuz people always buy them upon arrival. oh well, JL is alot closer for me anyway.

Bryan
05-16-2002, 11:57 PM
He has been saying this for years. I gave up going there because they never had any stock.

Originally posted by smokinreefer:
hey chris,
you go to coral ocean often?
last time i talked to him, he said he was beginning to steer away from sps, cuz his system wasnt ideal conditions for them(if they didnt sell right away).
FWIW, i never see sps there, cuz people always buy them upon arrival. oh well, JL is alot closer for me anyway.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Bryan
05-16-2002, 11:59 PM
Another place to have a look at is Perkys Pets in New West. He has a lot of xenia, frags, hard and soft corals. Prices are quite reasonable.

titus
05-17-2002, 06:24 AM
Hello,

Actually I suspect buddy from Coral Ocean is running the store b/c he's immigrated to Canada under the terms that he'll be investing in a business here. I find many Chinese to be doing business not because there are money but because that's a requirement for them.

Anyway, personally I find the store owner to be quite nice. If you have nothing to do, no girl/boy friends, no job, no life, etc lol, then go by and see if the store is open. If the store is open and he is actually available, chat with him. He doen't mind company.

BCReefer
05-20-2002, 01:10 AM
BC Grl did you get to King Ed’s on the weekend? I did for the 1st time. All I can say is holly cripes hope they don’t ever get a fire in there. I’m surprised they are still open.

Now they had some nice corals there and I picked up a Yellow Devil’s Finger and a Blue sponge all for $35.00.

Picked up a new light but 6500 K – what a difference on the tank. Now I know what the difference new bulbs are.

Well I hope everyone had a great weekend. Go Caines Go.

Cheers,
Patrick

Islander
05-20-2002, 01:27 AM
can someone tell the address and telephone number for this King Ed's place

Thanks,

Ken

Jeff
05-21-2002, 01:45 PM
I believe you are wrong about Coral Ocean. I used to frequent it when it was on West Broadway back went I went to UBC (about 10 years ago). It was owned by another fellow at that time and Colin (the guy that runs it now) worked for him. The other guy got out of the business and sold the store to Colin.

This is based on my observations and talking to Colin over the past few years. I used to buy most of my stuff from there since it was near UBC and I had no car at the time.

Scales
05-21-2002, 05:48 PM
My $.02, having been a frequent visitor of the LFS in this region for over a decade (remember Aquaworld? Cambie Aquarium with its original owner?)....J&L is currently the best source IMO (service, quality, most prices), but their product range is not as extensive as King Ed or Big Al's....King Ed is a good inexpensive source for some hardware not available at J&L and will negotiate on most items including livestock, even going so far as to show you the wholesale cost sheets (or what they allege are the wholesale costs sheets)....but be careful of livestock from King Ed, especially if they are willing to reduce the price too much too easily....a good deal on livestock that has little chance of long term survival is obviously not a good deal....and while Big Al's has a large product line, I find them expensive and (not to be offensive) but I would never buy livestock from them....Coral Ocean? I thought this was simply a front for some other illigal activities....the tank inhabitants never seem to change....I have not visted Perky Pets or Animal House....

Troy F
05-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Welcome TRFOW, I'd disagree with you on the selection of dry goods. J&Ls carry way more reef/saltwater related product than the rest of the stores put together. I can't think of one worth while item that King Ed's or Big Al's have that J&L's don't have.

Samw
05-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by TRFOW:
My $.02, having been a frequent visitor of the LFS in this region for over a decade (remember Aquaworld? Cambie Aquarium with its original owner?)....

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How about the Salt Water Fish Shop on Willingdon and E. Hastings? That was my favorite about 15 years ago. Talking about decades ago, my first job was at Newton's Pet World, then I worked at Kramer's Pet World, and then I worked at Pet Habitat in Scottsdale Mall.

[ 21 May 2002, 19:24: Message edited by: Sam W ]

SuperFudge
05-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Titus,I know its a little off topic,but im having trouble with your avatar.
I would definatly consider that subliminal advertising ;) .

J/K with ya,Marc.

[ 21 May 2002, 20:01: Message edited by: Superfudge ]

Samw
05-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Troy F:
Welcome TRFOW, I'd disagree with you on the selection of dry goods. J&Ls carry way more reef/saltwater related product than the rest of the stores put together. I can't think of one worth while item that King Ed's or Big Al's have that J&L's don't have.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't go so far to say that J&L has more reef products than Big Al's and King Ed's though.

When I was looking for Hagen Powerheads during Christmas, they didn't have it. They do now. They don't carry Hagen Fish tanks nor Hagen Canopies nor Eclipse Tanks nor All-Glass Compact Fluorescent canopies nor Coralife bulbs, nor Hagen Testkits nor Tetra products (foods, additives, testkits, etc), nor other heaters besides Ebo Jager, etc. These are just some examples off the top of my head.

I agree that they probably carry most of the quality stuff that reefers want or can special order them, and they are getting new products every day as the business grows, which is excellent.

I like King Ed's because they give me a second source for livestock and drygoods. If there's something that J&L doesn't stock, there's a good chance that I can get it at King Ed's. They also haven't pushed anything at all towards me which I know is contrary to some people's experience (except for 1 time when I was buying Chemipure and they told me that if I buy 2, the second one is half price. Hey, that was actually to my advantage so I did buy 2.)

There are some really specialty stuff such DT Phytoplankton that these other stores don't have. But the big drawback about King Ed's for me, is that they DON'T guarantee ANY of their salt water animals. Whereas J&L fortunately does.

[ 21 May 2002, 20:01: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Samw
05-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by TRIGGER_HAPPY:
Newton Pet World... LOL, they're in cloverdale now. If you ever need a good laugh, check out there saltwater section. The new owners suck, they are they lazyest people i've ever seen, they are nice people though. Hmmmm... maybe if Corey got up off her a$$.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know if there is any relationship between the store I worked at and this store though. I think I remember that they only sold fish (freshwater only) so maybe the store was Newton Aquariums??? When I started working there in oh...1984 or so, it was owned by Mike and Calvin and it was located near the Newton Wave Pool (Previously, they operated another shop in Coquitlam around Como Lake). I think they closed the Newton store around 1985 and opened up another one on King George Hwy and 104th St. I have lost contact with them and don't know what they are up to now.

[ 21 May 2002, 20:24: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Samw
05-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by BCReefer:

Now they had some nice corals there and I picked up a Yellow Devil’s Finger and a Blue sponge all for $35.00.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Blue Sponge... Now that's something I haven't seen yet (Except for photos) but want to get. Can you post a pic sometime?

Troy F
05-22-2002, 01:12 AM
Sam I meant to say quality items. I should have been more specific.

ron101
05-23-2002, 02:32 AM
If you've done your homework and you know what you want then King Ed is not too bad. If not be prepared for some questionable info. Kind Ed also frequently stocks specimens that should be left in the ocean; others may not but I have a personal issue with that.

BTW why would anyone want a Hagen test kit for a reef tank?

Samw
05-23-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Ron101:
If you've done your homework and you know what you want then King Ed is not too bad. If not be prepared for some questionable info. Kind Ed also frequently stocks specimens that should be left in the ocean; others may not but I have a personal issue with that.

BTW why would anyone want a Hagen test kit for a reef tank?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're probably right that Hagen test kits for reefs might not be the best choice. The thing is that they carry just about everything J&L carries and then some.

Considering that King Ed's isn't a reef specialty store (They sell all different kinds of pet products: dog, cat, rodent, bird, fresh water fish, reptiles, amphibians, etc), the fact that they are even compared to reef specialty stores is probably flattering in itself. Their salt water section is just a tiny portion of their inventory. A better comparison might be between King Ed's and Petectera or Pet Habitat.

Yes, they might sometimes stock fish that ideally some people don't like to see but I have 3 species of animals right now in that category and 2 of them are from J&L Aquatics and the other is from Big Al's. One is the Sebae Anemone from J&L that I've had for 4 months. smile.gif

[ 22 May 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: Sam W ]

DJ88
05-23-2002, 03:34 AM
As an FYI J&L does not order in Anemones. They recieved that one by the shipper adding it in without them asking for it. Ask them anytime if they carry them. They will tell you no.

J&L is one of the most conciencious stores I have ever seen. They won't order many types of fish due to the needs required of them, they won't sell you something that your tank can't handle. ie an emperor angel in a 20 gallon tank. As for corals if your tank isn't set up for what you want, often times they will tell you straight out it won't live. I have seen it in person and watched customers walk out after not getting what they wanted.

You can't tell me King Ed's or any of the other stores other than maybe Animal House that do this.

As for what they carry.. I don't think they don't carry everything that J&L has and more. J&L carries products that you can't get anywhere else in Canada. Well except maybe Hagen test kits. ;)

Samw
05-23-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by DJ88:
As an FYI J&L does not order in Anemones. They recieved that one by the shipper adding it in without them asking for it. Ask them anytime if they carry them. They will tell you no.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really didn't want to mention this but they did (Not the Sebae but something else). I'll send you a private message about what they ordered because they told me ahead of time what was coming in and it arrived just as expected. I was very excited to see it but knew I couldn't keep one.

As for keeping a regular inventory of anemones (perhaps the hardy species), they did say to me that they were looking at the possibility of stocking some in the future. I'm sure they're doing the research and will make an educated decision whether that means stocking them or not.

I agree J&L is #1. They told me straight up that those gorgeous feather stars won't live. smile.gif I didn't buy one.

King Ed might be less conscientious but I haven't found them to lie to me yet.

[ 23 May 2002, 00:49: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Troy F
05-23-2002, 10:52 AM
>The thing is that they carry just about everything J&L carries and then some.<

Sam, I don't know how you can say this smile.gif . It isn't even close :eek: . Find me a Bullet Skimmer, Gen X pump or PFO lighting at King Ed's. How about rare earth magnets, ca reactors or mh bulb selection? The list is long tongue.gif .

One thing I will say is that saving money isn't my number one priority. I like to deal with a store that has some morals. The stores I've chosen to deal with are honest with me. Buying from certain stores that don't give honest advice and import impossible to keep species hurts the hobby and the environment.

Son Of Skyline
05-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I began my reefkeeping hobby at King Ed Pets. The staff there walked me through the whole setup process and most of my initial setup and first corals were purchased there. I still go back there to say hi and buy stuff for my other animals, and I know they don't carry the kind of stuff that J&L does. I don't go to King Ed for any reefkeeping stuff anymore. Yes, I have 2 Hagen test kits at home and no, neither of them work tongue.gif

I really like J&L for the prices and selection...but they're service just plain sucks. EVERY time I go there (around 2-3 times a month) they seem just too busy to care that I'm in the store, and more often than not, I'm the ONLY customer in the store. They never say hi and simply ignore me. I have to flag 2 of the staff down just to get a price, and as soon as they tell me the price they take off and go back to ignoring me. Sometimes they tell me that they'll get someone else to help me and that help never comes. They're alright if you can actually get them to stop and manage to start talking to them, but sometimes I wish that there was another store of their caliber around so I can jump ship. I work in a customer service environment and I find the service there to be the worst I've ever seen in a pet store. They're not bad people and they don't have bad attitudes, but they simply have bad customer service....but I'll still go back, again and again, until someone else comes along.

Samw
05-23-2002, 12:58 PM

Sam, I don't know how you can say this smile.gif . It isn't even close :eek: . Find me a Bullet Skimmer, Gen X pump or PFO lighting at King Ed's. How about rare earth magnets, ca reactors or mh bulb selection? The list is long tongue.gif .

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alright, you have a point. I actually never looked for those things at King Ed. They don't carry any of things? That would suck. I thought they would carry MH since they use them in all their tanks. I thought I've seen CA reactors, could be wrong. What's a rare earth magnet for? smile.gif Just a guess that some of those specialty things they can't get at the wholesaler and need to contact the smaller individual manufacturers (Precision Marine, Canreef, etc).

Bob I
05-23-2002, 08:23 PM
When I last lived in Vancouver in 1976 (1330 Harwood ST.) I used to hang around a fish store in Burnaby I think. In those days all we had was airpumps, undergravel filters and eheims. We had no corals. I had an Imperator (and more) in a 20 gallon high. I have pictures still. I still remember we got a coral snake in a shipment from the Philipines. When the bag he came in was opened he moved from tank to tank, and then onto the floor. It scared the H*** out of us, so we swept him under a passing bus. :eek:

Troy F
05-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Mason, you are entitled to your opinion but since you posted your experience I think it only fair to post mine.

This past weekend, with a crowded store of paying customers, John took the time to help me with bulkhead that I was having trouble getting sealed on a skimmer he didn't sell me (and if you knew the history on that one you'd be real impressed with John).

DJ88
05-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Mason,

I hope you aren't counting that day I was talking to you and Steve as one of the days they ignored you. John and Allan saw I was answering yout lighting questions and figured I wouldn't steer you wrong.

You won't find many stores that will offer a hand as much as they will. Keep in mind they run the store with the two of them for 7 days a week. Come in late at night to unpack fish and corals then work a full day on top of it. As well the store is a very busy and successful mail order company. Tho they may be at the counter there is always a lot going on. They don't have a staff to handle the little things. They do it all. If you want some help go up to them and say hi. That is all it takes.

Jack
05-23-2002, 10:00 PM
I hate to poke my head out here (and hopefully I don't get it chopped off ;) but...

J&L Aquatics has got to be my absolute favorite store. I find with the customer service you have to just say hi or ask, as Darren said they are very busy. I mean, you should know what you want and have already done SOME research before you buy... I'm sure they don't have time to sit down and have a cup of tea with EVERYONE. I always talk to John and he is very friendly over the phone when ordering things (my RO/DI, figi rock, etc.)

They don't know how much experience, knowlege, etc you have so they just play it basic and plain tell you if your system is not ready or sufficeint. I like those morals and I find them really respectable. I also like how they don't sell/keep things that should be left in the ocean.

And the prices alone cannot scare you away... that's why people keep comming back time after time.... just like everyone else. I find it funny how some people bad mouth J&L but go back time after time :D Crazy how that works, eh? Must be a "horrible" store then. Haha.

Just my two cents, nothing commented was personal or directed at anyone in particular.

Thanks

Aquattro
05-23-2002, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with Darren and Troy. I have had nothing but great service from J&L. Both John and Allen have taken time to answer the stupidest questions and they've always been honest and upfront. They're a 5 star outfit as far as I'm concerned.

Samw
05-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Jack:
I hate to poke my head out here (and hopefully I don't get it chopped off ;) but...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No problem. Its cool. I hope that I've made it clear that J&L is my favorite shop too and I go there more than anywhere else.

The more discussed issue here probably has more to do with who would be your 2nd source of livestock and equipment. Some people like King Ed as a 2nd source and some people wouldn't step foot in there for various reasons.

smokinreefer
05-23-2002, 11:12 PM
mason, sorry to hear about your bad experiences at JL. i suppose 1st impressions are very lasting and weighed upon heavily.

i too, have been in customer service for a long time, and i hold it as a major factor in where i spend my $$.

all i can say is that i have had nothing but good experiences with JL.

King eds...i go there for dog food. and to browse the saltwater section in case they have some thing interesting to buy. plus you can haggle with them. but from my experience, i would not ask them for advice, nor would i listen to what they have to say. if they did have some thing i was interested in, i wouldnt buy it until i've gone home and researched it myself. those guys are like used car salesmen.

aquarium services...a bit pricey...but i have a long history with them. sometimes you can get some nice deals there. most of the staff are newbies...tho there are a few people there who actually know stuff. if you see grant...talk to him...he knows his stuff.

perkys...uh...umm...nice display...they were starting to stock nice corals and stuff, but the last time i went there it looked like he doesnt have the clientelle needed to justify stocking what he was. perhaps he was trying to compete with JL. dont think it worked.

Achilles
05-24-2002, 12:44 AM
One must also think of who they are supporting when they make purchases for their little slices of ocean. Many stores around town, such as King Ed and Big Al's, DO NOT make a conscious effort to avoid bringing in livestock that are unsuitible for aquarium life. Many of the fish they bring in have been proven many, many times to not succeed in captivity. It is a different story if fish happen to have been thrown into the shipment by the supplier of course.

We all want to be responsible reef and fish only keepers right? We must purchase responsibly in order to do so.

How do I know this? Well anyone can look at the tanks and see what they contain. Nudibranchs at Kind Ed, certain Parrotfish... Moorish Idol's at Big Al's. Oh and how about how the companies treat the fish while they have them. I have seen JL aquatics adding Selcon to the food they add many times, and doing extensive drips to the fish when they come in.

I never saw Big Al's do that (enriching their food) even while I worked there! tongue.gif

Just my 0.02

Cheers!

[ 23 May 2002, 20:47: Message edited by: Achilles ]

Troy F
05-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Damn Trigger, that post is cold. I didn't take it as a flame but the backstabbing kind of stuff is way offside.

Store gives good advice: important.

Store has good pricing: important.

Store carries quality product: important.

Store shows ethics when dealing with livestock: important.

Store operator takes you into confidence and you spread it on the internet: cheese, cheese, cheese.

Son Of Skyline
05-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by smokinreefer:
mason, sorry to hear about your bad experiences at JL. i suppose 1st impressions are very lasting and weighed upon heavily.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, but unfortunately I'm not speaking on first impressions alone. Like I said, I've been going there often over the past few months and it has ALWAYS been the same. I never leave there feeling good about giving them my money. They're not mean and nasty, but they just don't seem to give a damn that I'm there, and they don't have the time to help me with anything. I don't think they've ever stopped for more than 10 seconds to answer any of my questions. They're alright when I'm paying for my stuff and they have no choice but to talk to me, and the lady there even said hi to me once...yes, once, but overall you all know how I feel.

Yes, I understand what everyone is saying about ethics, quality, knowledge..etc. J&L is great with all of that, but that's not what my concern is. It's customer service. Something they don't have. I used to work for Pet Habitat and I've actually seen people fired for showing the kind of poor service that all of the people do at J&L.

Son Of Skyline
05-24-2002, 05:59 PM
Damn Trigger, that post is cold. I didn't take it as a flame but the backstabbing kind of stuff is way offside.

Store gives good advice: important.

Store has good pricing: important.

Store carries quality product: important.

Store shows ethics when dealing with livestock: important.

Store operator takes you into confidence and you spread it on the internet: cheese, cheese, cheese.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You forgot about this one...

Store has good customer service: important.

One thing I noticed about Trigger's post, he only stated the things that he's actually seen at the store. He's not flaming or accusing anybody of anything.

I'm not trying to steer everybody away from J&L, or trying to talk sh*t just because I want to. I just wanted to say that J&L has some of the worst customer service that I've ever encountered...with the exception of a particular restauarant that I used be a regular at...but that's a different story smile.gif

I'll still go back there to get all I need to get, they do have the best stuff, some of the best prices, and selection is great. I just won't spend any more time in there than I need to.

Maybe they just like to pick and choose who they wnat to be friendly to. They definitely didn't choose me.

Troy F
05-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Mason, you {and anyone else) are entitled to your opinions. I have no problem with any of you stating that you don't feel you've been treated the way you'd like at a particular store. That is not my experience at the said store buy your mileage may vary.

Triggers expose on behind the scenes dealings is cheese. True or not, it is not neccessary. I just don't get it. He's not saying he is treated poorly, he's saying, (and I paraphrase) "these guys treat me fine but laugh and gesture at some of you guys behind your back". What is this a school yard?

StirCrazy
05-24-2002, 07:10 PM
the first two times I went to J&L, I was not impressed with the attatude at all, but then I went back with Brad and they remembered who I was (after only two visits in 3 months) and they were much more friendly and helpfull. off first impression if there was another place as good and as cheep I would probably have never gone back bu after being there 3 times and seeing the change I have no problems with them at all. when you think about it there is only what.. 3 people who actualy work there and they are busy as heck every time I have been there so I can understand if they don't sit and take to everyone who walks in the store.. if they did that they would never get anything done.

Steve

canadawest
05-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Although I have had similar experiences with J&L's customer service (or seemingly lack thereof), the fact remains I will continue to shop there for the quality, prices and knowledge.

But something of particular interest, did anybody notice on the website that they are now (again) carrying Red Sea Prizm and Prizm Pro protein skimmers? Next time I'm in there I'd like to ask John about that as I know they stopped selling them last year based on John's opinion that "they are crap" when I asked about them (I was already using one, and solicited his opinion as an experienced reefkeeper and retailer of the product)

Just made me laugh when I saw them advertising them again last week. :rolleyes:

christyf5
05-24-2002, 08:54 PM
Ya know, I was gonna stay out of this but after the email I got today I have to say that the customer service at J&L is second to none. After ordering and receiving 50lbs of live rock from J&L (which is excellent by the way. It totally rocks :D )) three weeks ago I noticed this week on their website that they had reduced the prices on their live rock. I'll say I was a bit irked that I missed out on that but no biggie, it wasn't major dollars. However, today, THREE weeks after ordering and receiving it, I got an email from Allen telling me that he had credited my account for the difference reflecting the new price. I must say that is probably the best dang customer service I have ever heard of. Hey maybe they don't greet me with a marching band or hang on every word I have to say when I go into their store, but they have excellent advice (on both their products and used items I have purchased from others) as well as all other sorts of little tidbits of information that I can glean from them.
Hey maybe I'm biased. We don't exactly have a plethora of reef stores on this side of the water. And for some, their customer service is practically nonexistent (no, Brad I'm not talking about Hillside here tongue.gif ).

Christy smile.gif

Aquattro
05-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Christy, just to let you know, my opinion of Hillside since Mike left has degraded somewhat!

Troy F
05-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Andrew, the Prizm/low-end skimmer thing came up in a conversation and they carry them because despite their efforts people insisted on them. Not everyone is buying Bullets and Aerofoamers.

PS: I've been busy lately but I promise I'll make it over with the refractometer one of these days soon.

Hey maybe they don't greet me with a marching band or hang on every word I have to say when I go into their store, but they have excellent advice (on both their products and used items I have purchased from others) as well as all other sorts of little tidbits of information that I can glean from them.

Egg-Zactly Christy, perfectly said.

Silverfish
05-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Ditto on what Christy said. tongue.gif

Coffeeman
05-25-2002, 12:45 AM
I was not terribly impressed with King Ed.I once bought a feather duster from them, I watched in horror as the old guy[don't know his name],spent a good 5 minutes trying to pull it off a rock.I felt sick watching knowing full well it could never survive what he was doing to it.When I placed it in my tank it never opened and after about 3 weeks I threw it in the garbage.On another visit I wanted to buy an Anenome for my Clown, I noticed they had a very tiny bubbletip for sale.I asked the old guy[don't know his name],if it would grow larger as my clown would never fit into it,He said in a very rude manner"No,they don't grow at all",he then stormed off and I never saw him after that.The guy was some sort of Fish Nazi,I won't be buying and more livestock from them,or should I say deadstock.And yes I'm a newbie to the hobby.

smokinreefer
05-25-2002, 04:53 AM
well...what can we say...some people just wont hit it off with others...hey thats human nature.

i'm not using that as an excuse for poor customer service, but that's life.

plus, JL is pretty much an owner/operator shop...if they dont want to be nice to you, it's their loss if they lose you as a paying customer.

hey achilles,
when did you work at big al's..and which one?
sometimes you just gotta take initiative, when i worked there, i fed the fish real well...specially the predators...its just so much fun to watch fish go hunting!!

Coffeeman
05-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Well I pulled the feather duster out after I noticed a greenish grey liquid oozing from the tube,it smelled very bad so I'm quite sure it was dead.Your probably right though,after watching him kill it my gut instinct was to run away and not buy it,but being a newbie I assumed this guy new what he was about.

EmilyB
05-26-2002, 02:00 AM
Christy, thanks for alerting me to the rock price. I've been wanting to order a box for a while now. I placed my order after reading this message today, and had a reply from Allen in short order. I do not deal there personally, I know they set up retail in the recent past, and know nothing about their day to day operations in-store.

However, if I visit there, I will be carrying a large electric eel.... :D

BCReefer
05-26-2002, 04:28 AM
I enjoy all the local fish stores. I spend many of Saturday’s or Sunday’s down at some LFS just to browse and see what people have. I see an interesting coral and I take a mental note of the type and go home and read up on it.

I like J&L because they do have some good stuff. Sometimes I get instant service and other times I could be waving a $100.00 bill and I can’t get any satisfaction. The same holds true at any LFS or any other non-fish store. We shouldn’t base our opinion on 1 or 2 visits.

I do know that you should not bring your kids into J&L when some staff is working (won’t mention names as I don’t want to be flamed). Not cheesing just telling my experience.

But over all, J&L is my number 1 with everyone else #2.

Cheers,
Patrick

Mak
05-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Troy seems to be the only Flamer tongue.gif .

J&L is still #1 on my list, I just go there last, so my livestock doesn't have to wait in the car :D .

Troy F
05-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Nope, I'm definitely heterosexual and I resent the implication, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Look, you're slinging hash at a couple of businessmen that did nothing worse than let you in on a joke with one of their employees. This is their lively hood. Throwing around the kind of stuff you did can ruin a business.

Now if you want to get real personal you can send me an e-mail or PM or even meet me for a coffee smile.gif (because I generally believe people are a hell of a lot more polite and don't throw around insults in person).

Mak
05-26-2002, 11:25 PM
LOL, Troy that is not what I meant.

Troy, obviously you did not read my other post, they have done plenty to my face and behind my back as well (I caught them).

I ain't out to take away from there business. They are still #1 on my list as i've already stated many times. If you look through my other posts, you will find nothing but good about them,
I post once on just one of several bad experiences, and you jump all over me, calling me "A backstabber", " A cheese spreader",and "A child". And yes you were the only Flamer. I'm not alone out here.

Yes, coffee one day would be good. To clear this issue up smile.gif .

[ 26 May 2002, 20:04: Message edited by: TRIGGER_HAPPY ]

Mak
05-26-2002, 11:38 PM
Post has been deleted. If you or anybody even thinks i'm out to get them and ruin their business, then, @$@$ that !%#@. It's gone.

Troy F
05-27-2002, 12:42 AM
What, did you think your comments would be good for business?

BCReefer
05-27-2002, 12:52 AM
Lets everyone relax and understand that we all don’t have the same views.

This was/is a good forum on peoples opinions on what LFS that they like. No one should totally destroy a store nor should anyone be flamed for their opinion.

Lets all remember we are in this hobby to enjoy it not tog et in a ****ing contest.

Cheers,
Patrick

Son Of Skyline
05-27-2002, 01:56 AM
I've had my poor moments at King Ed with some of the staff too. I noticed though that a couple of the staff members there remembered all the pets I have and my tank specs after just one conversation. Now when I go there I always get a friendly hello and a quick report on their new stock that they thought might be good in my tank. That kind of stuff I appreciate.

Troy F
05-27-2002, 11:26 AM
Trigger I'm getting a little tired of this. Where was I on the Tonga rock issue? Darren and Titus were handling that and I can't say any more than that. However if someone has a problem with product and it is substantiated; that is what the board is for.

The stuff you brought up, in my opinion had nothing to do with the operation or quality of the store or product provided. I expressed my opinion just as you did. You expressed a negative opinion about J&Ls and I expressed mine about your decision to voice it on a public board. Call it a flame, call it whatever you want but I'm not changing my opinion because you don't like it.

I'll mention one more time just for clarification, the point you brought up originally was a misunderstanding on your part. How many other misunderstandings are there? Which brings up the point that when you start making accusations about a business you'd better be sure that you know what you are talking about.

Troy F
05-27-2002, 11:26 AM
double post

[ 27 May 2002, 07:28: Message edited by: Troy F ]

DJ88
05-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Trigger,

I think the usefulness of this thread is nearing an end. If you don't let it drop I will close the thread.

I closed that thread on the LR as the person did not substantiate it and did not have reason to say that other than to start a flame war. End of story.

Troy has asked you to take it OFF the board and you have refused to. Heed his call.

I don't like you calling people at stores Fish Nazi's or bringing up things a store owner does to one of it's own staff as if he was going after a customer. This is a public board but you are using it as some forum to go after and call names of anyone you chose. This is NOT a Jr high where it is cool to insult and berate. If you wish to share on a discussion about stores so be it. You have said J&L is your number one store. Calling store staff, fish Nazi's is not allowed. I let it slide but since you keep bringing this up I will let you know this thread is one mouse click from closure. End of story.

[ 27 May 2002, 18:21: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Aquattro
05-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Well, from a consumer point of view, I say Wal-Mart has good customer service. But Canadian Tire doesn't. Anyone that disagrees can meet me at the bike rack after school!!
Darren, do us all a favour and click that mouse..k?

christyf5
05-27-2002, 07:20 PM
C'mon Brad I'll take you on! My mom says I have to be home by dinnertime though tongue.gif

Tigger
05-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Darren,
I haven't said a thing about this post? I think you must have meant Trigger. smile.gif

Steve

DJ88
05-27-2002, 10:22 PM
My apologies Steve. lol

Mak
05-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Which post did troy ask me to talk of the board? I never refused to take anything off the board. Please explain. Yes, this post should have closed days ago. Thanks for all your help everyone, I have learned an awfull lot from this board ;) .Including one very valuable lesson.

PS: My tank thanks you the most :D :D :D .