PDA

View Full Version : I need your Ideas to help me

StirCrazy
05-25-2002, 03:57 PM
ok as my pis of my tank turned into a drafting table shows I am trying to plan for some renovations. we are going to pretty much double the size of our house and I have gotten royal assent to make a service room off of one wall of the famly room to house all the stuff for a tank that will be built in to the wall.

personaly I am thinking a room that will be 6 to 8 feet wide and run the entire lenght of the wall I am putting the tank into.. (about 16 to 24 feet depending on which wall) I will also use the non fish part of this room for storage so it is not just a masive space waisted.

what I need help wth is what I should do in construction to make this room work.. I am upgrading the power to the house from a 100 amp to a 200 amp so I thought maby a 50 amp dedicated box for the room would be a good idea..

the tank I am going to use will most likely be a 180 gal from sea star (going to get it in with the building loan)

but any ideas you might have please let me know asap as we have to chose a archatect and get this ball rollin smile.gif

Steve

Troy F
05-25-2002, 05:26 PM
Go custom on the tank size, if you are adding it to an already large loan the extra cost of the tank shouldn't be to noticable.

Have a look at these dimensions 96"Lx36"Wx30"H = ~ 450gal smile.gif

96x36x24H = 360gal

72x36x24H = 270gal

I just think the extra depth can't be beat.

StirCrazy
05-26-2002, 01:43 AM
LOL the tank is the cheep part as I have found.. the only problem with going bigger is that everything else costs more acordingly.. I thought about a 450 but then it would be a freshwater tank cuz 450lbs of LR would be nuts hehe

seriously though, there coms a point whare ongoing tank work switches from fun to a pain and I think anything biger than 180 would be to much work and woulden't be enjoyable anymore. if I was to go with something as big as 450 I think it would be a fresh water tank. more water changes needeed but it would be much eayser than a water change on a salt tank.

Steve

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 03:39 AM
sissy!! What is it Darren says? Go big or go home!
Steve, 450# of LR would only be about $3000 at the LFS, and it's only money after all :D

Troy F
05-26-2002, 03:45 AM
Steve, I hear ya. I was just trying to hijack someone else's dreams. Seriously though, consider the extra front to back space. After ordering my 155gal, I wished I'd spent the extra few bucks for a custom 190 to get that little bit more front to back depth. Of course the wishing doesn't stop there smile.gif .

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 03:49 AM
Troy, where did you get your tank from?

StirCrazy
05-26-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:
sissy!! What is it Darren says? Go big or go home!
Steve, 450# of LR would only be about $3000 at the LFS, and it's only money after all :D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, only 3000.00 eh.. well I did get a new credit card in the mail yesterday :D :D
but sence we are talking about sissy's here did you get that master cylender yet? :D

Steve

[ 25 May 2002, 23:57: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

StirCrazy
05-26-2002, 04:00 AM
Troy, I would love nothing more than to have a 450 gal reef ;) but the fact of the matter is that it costs to muc to do, and when I go away the wife would have to take care of it and that would probably wear out its welcome fast :|

I thought about going to 6'long 2'high and 3'deep
(270 gal I think) but as I will only be able to get in from theback side would I be able to reach that upside down snail in the middle of the front against the glass? :D

Steve