PDA

View Full Version : EuroReef Skimmer Questions

Johnny Reefer
01-12-2006, 04:19 AM
Calling All EuroReef Skimmer Owners,

My 180 is up and running and with the 33 gallon sump I figure I'm running 205 gallons, net.
I want to upgrade my skimming (currently running a Prism Pro Deluxe) and just doing some research. Gonna go the needle wheel route and have a few questions on the EuroReefs. (Please forgive my ignorance if one of more of these questions are simple. I've never seen an in sump skimmer in operation before and the manufacturer's websites don't really explain full details).

1). So am I correct to understand that the feed for the skimmer is directly from the sump itself and the return is back into the sump, not involving the main tank at all?

2). Space is an issue and I would prefer to go with the CS6-1, but it is rated for only 100 gallons. I recall seeing some discussion on the board previously about some skimmers inaccurately rated but I can't remember to which side that innaccuracy was deemed. Soooo....do ya think the CS6-1 would be sufficient for 205 gallons? (I don't plan for a hugely bio-loaded tank and I could always continue the Prism Pro to supplement).

Any opinions would be respected and appreciated.

Thanx much and cheers,:smile:

mr_alberta
01-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Euroreef specs are actually pretty close to the actual capacity it can handle, so that skimmer would be a bit undersized for your setup. The needlewheel sucks water from your sumps and the skimmer drains it back into your sump.

Willow
01-12-2006, 05:28 AM
if your thinking about a er you should consider an asm, the designs are very similar but the prices are a lot cheaper.

http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=31

vanreefer
01-12-2006, 06:02 AM
another vote for the ASM

EmilyB
01-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Love my euros, never compared to the ASM as I haven't run one. Have the people who run ASM's previously run Euros - just curious?

Ruth
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
I have never run a Euro-reef but have had a few ASM's. I have heard that the Euro-reefs are rated pretty close to correct if not a little under rated but still agree that a 6 may be too small for your system. The ASM's are, IMO, over rated and I would cut in half the volume they say they are cabable of skimming. OTOH it will definately be better than your bakpak for that volume of water.

Johnny Reefer
01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
if your thinking about a er you should consider an asm, the designs are very similar but the prices are a lot cheaper.

Yes, the ASM line. I was looking at those too. Better price and better capacity rating. The thing with them is the height. I have only 25 1/2" to work with. (The CS6-1 is 20" tall). How much clearance is required to remove the collection cup on an ASM G3?

Thanx much and cheers,:smile:

Aquattro
01-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Mark, you need about 1/2 to remove the cup. You'll be fine with 25 inches.

rickjames
01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Honestly for the size of tank you have and the height you can work with I would either consider going to one of the low and really fat euro reefs (i think it is the CS12 line) or go with two smaller needle wheel skimmers, either euro or asm.

My .02 :D

Johnny Reefer
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Mark, you need about 1/2 to remove the cup. You'll be fine with 25 inches.
That's good news. Thanx. An ASM G3 it is!

Also, thanx Willow for suggesting the ASM G3 and providing the web link. The fact that ASM reduced the size of the G3 from 25" down to 23.5" is key.

Thanx to everyone else who showed interest in this and took the time to reply.

Gotta love CanReef.:mrgreen:

Cheers,:smile:

Jaws
01-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey Mark. I use a Euro-reef on my 180G. It took me a while to find the right settings on it but now it's pulling out tons of gunk now every day. Feel free to stop by and check it out if you ever have time. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.

Johnny Reefer
01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Honestly for the size of tank you have and the height you can work with I would either consider going to one of the low and really fat euro reefs (i think it is the CS12 line) or go with two smaller needle wheel skimmers, either euro or asm.

My .02 :D

Thanx for the ideas Brennan. Unfortunately the footprint of the CS12-1 is 18"x18". Too big. Also, they run about $800 US.
I think I'll go with the ASM G3, but thanx for the ideas.

Johnny Reefer
01-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey Mark. I use a Euro-reef on my 180G. It took me a while to find the right settings on it but now it's pulling out tons of gunk now every day. Feel free to stop by and check it out if you ever have time. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.

Thanx J. I'll get in touch with you soon. Maybe next week? I just got off a four week shift and have four tanks to "clean". It's about a four day job.

Jaws
01-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Good luck with that. Send me a PM when you think you've got some time to stop by. I live out in ShLangford. Let me know when you've got everything set up too and I'll stop by and check out your Great Wall of Tanks.

rickjames
01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Also, they run about $800 US.

Ouch! That would hurt the pocket book.

Cool skimmers though, they have one setup at J&L.

reeferaddict
01-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Mark - Go for a Bullet... you'll NEVER look back... :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
01-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Mark - Go for a Bullet... you'll NEVER look back... :mrgreen:
Hey Jim,

Thanx for the advice. Ya, the Bullet would be my first choice, after reading some of your comments on them from some previous threads, but for one thing. (There always seems to be one thing). I understand that, being a Beckett skimmer, they are prone to clog. I have to look long term on this. I'll be going back to sea in a few years and I need the most independent skimmer I can get. I think the ASM G3 fits most of the criteria I require. (Height; Needle Wheel; Footprint; Plug n' Play; In Sump). If I had a Bullet and two days after I walk out the door and a small snail were to clog the Beckett nozzle, that would mean a full 26 days of no skimming before I returned home again. I read some comments in a previous thread about going for a skimmer double the rated size for one's tank capacity. This sounds like good advice to mean and I'd do that if it weren't for the height issue. So, as far as the ASM G3 goes...I think that is the only sacrfice I am making. But it beats what i have now.
In short, ya, if one can be there to maintain a Bullet at least once a week that gets my vote.

Thanx again and cheers,:smile:

Aquattro
01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
As a huge proponent of beckett skimmers for years, I have to say now that I am a Euro reef convert. The ER I have now is a fraction of the size I used for a beckett, removes at least as much gunk, does not have a sucking air sound and is way easier to clean. I would never go back to a beckett again.

Jaws
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Agreed. The difference in price is a couple hundred dollars but when you consider the size of your system and the importance of a skimmer, almost number 1 in my books, I'd put out the extra money and get the best you can afford. JMO.

reeferaddict
01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
I like the advantage of having my Beckett skimmer out from underneath my tank on a shelf where I can see it. Makes it easy to see WHEN maintenance needs to be done and makes it easy to get to when it needs doing...

As for snails blocking the nozzle... never had any, but my sump configuration has a mechanical filter before the skimmer pump picks up the water... I have to empty my collection cup, (about 1 1/2 gal), every 10 - 14 days, and I break down the nozzle and soak in vinegar every month or so... this has been almost a "set and forget" skimmer, and with it being in full view... very easy NOT to forget.

I must qualify this and also state that I don't have any experience with the Euroreef style skimmers...