PDA

View Full Version : anomone help

RobbAdams
01-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Bought a Sebae anemone about a week and a half ago. settled in well and stayed put for the first few days. I knocked it free Monday, and it was floating around still when I went to bed.

On tuesday morning it was attached at the near the back of the tank. Now it has crawled in behind the rockwork, where it will get no light???

Will it crawl back out, or should I tear things apart an "Rescue" it?

Robb

untamed
01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
They can move around if they want to. Invariably, they never stay right where you want them to be anyway. I would say leave it alone.

Raf
01-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Most likely it will seek the light...if not, it is sick and will most likely die.

Aquattro
01-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Give it time, it will likely come out all on it's own. My BTA hid for a week before it came out.

RobbAdams
01-12-2006, 04:16 AM
OK, now it appears to be releasing something? milky fluid? corals seem to be ok with it so far(biting nails in fear!!!!)

Salinity Now
01-12-2006, 05:08 AM
Check out page 7 of this link. It states that nothing should be oozing out of its mouth. Without seeing it, I'd imagine its stressed. I hope it all goes well for it.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

danny zubot
01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
When anemones are stressed they will release some of their zoanthalea(Tony?), though I can't remember why. I'm new to seabae anemone's myself but mine has never moved more than three inches from where I originally placed it. Was its mouth gaping?

OCDP
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
How old is your system? What kind of lighting are you running? What are your tank paramaters? If you added an anemone (especially a sebae) to an unmatured system, then chances are the anemone will not make it. Bubble Tips are one thing.. because they are the most hardy anemone. Sebae's are a little more picky, though I have no first hand experience.

Nothing other than "waste" should be coming out of it's mouth. If the mouth is gaping (or open at all) then it's an indication that the anemone is sick.

My suggestions.... return the anemone if possible , or trade it to someone with proper lighting and tank conditions and have a mature system. If that's not an option then keep your tank paramaters pristine and make sure there is the least amount of stress on the anemone possible. Once they start to stress, I have noticed.. they just seem to only get worse. (with bubble tips that is..)

Good luck..

rickjames
01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
How old is your system? What kind of lighting are you running? What are your tank paramaters? If you added an anemone (especially a sebae) to an unmatured system, then chances are the anemone will not make it. Bubble Tips are one thing.. because they are the most hardy anemone. Sebae's are a little more picky, though I have no first hand experience.

Nothing other than "waste" should be coming out of it's mouth. If the mouth is gaping (or open at all) then it's an indication that the anemone is sick.

My suggestions.... return the anemone if possible , or trade it to someone with proper lighting and tank conditions and have a mature system. If that's not an option then keep your tank paramaters pristine and make sure there is the least amount of stress on the anemone possible. Once they start to stress, I have noticed.. they just seem to only get worse. (with bubble tips that is..)

Good luck..

This is assuming that the tank conditions are unsuitable, or the tank isn't matured. He hasn't said that so I don't think the suggestion neccessarily applies yet.

Just leave it be. As long as it is attached to the rock I think it has a chance. Not that I am claiming to know much about anemones, but when I first got my bubble tip everytime the anemone would shrink up or move or look funny I bit my nails too. That was over a year ago, one tank and one clone later as well.

I am not saying that your anemone will be fine but I think its best chance will be if you leave it alone and take care of your aquarium conditions. And also read the FAQ that was posted above.

My .02.

OCDP
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I should have stated that my suggestion is a worst case scenario type thing.

Also note... sebae anemones are a lot harder to care for than a bubble tip anemone. Note.. bubble tip anemones are extremely hardy and can recover from various injuries a lot better than say... a sebae anemone. I have done lots of anemone reading. It's my understanding that if an anemone such as a sebae , carpet, ritteri, etc... fall under the slightest amount of stress, then that is sometimes enough to stress it to death. They seem to only get worse. Bubble tip anemones are a different story... I have had many BTa's and some were seriously beat up, and made a full and speedy recovery, (not that your's WONT.. I am just stating the facts I have read and experienced.)

Hence everything should go back to what I mentioned... make sure there is the least amount of stress on the anemone possible. But until we learn more about your system, we can't say for sure what's going on....lighting and tank paramaters and how long the system has been established will help.

muck
01-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Once they start to stress, I have noticed.. they just seem to only get worse. (with bubble tips that is..)

Note.. bubble tip anemones are extremely hardy and can recover from various injuries a lot better than say... a sebae anemone. I have done lots of anemone reading. It's my understanding that if an anemone such as a sebae , carpet, ritteri, etc... fall under the slightest amount of stress, then that is sometimes enough to stress it to death. They seem to only get worse. Bubble tip anemones are a different story... I have had many BTa's and some were seriously beat up, and made a full and speedy recovery, (not that your's WONT.. I am just stating the facts I have read and experienced.)

Not sure I follow you here Scott..
You seem to have two opposite statements. http://moddb.com/images/smilie/ermm.gif

RobbAdams
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
well, I got real nervous last night and dug him out from behind the rocks. he was not attached at all, just kinda balled up.

moved him to the front of the tank, and kind of surrounded him with live rock so he would not blow around. Hopefully things will lookk better when i get home:silly:

Tank is quite old, but I did move it a couple of weeks ago, so there is a lot of new water. The rock however was purchased in june 2004.

I am running a aquac remora skimmer, 175 watt ushio 10,000k Halide.

I run carbon all the time in a quick filter attached to a powerhead (last changed about a week ago.) I change the cartbon when i do a water change, and I rinse the filter every week.

I change about 5 gallons of water every 2 weeks.

Beverly
01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Not an expert on sebeas, so take my advice with a grain of salt (no pun intended).

If it has not attached by the time you get home, or has been pushed around by the water current again, look for a place in the tank where there is very gentle water flow and try to plant it in some rocks there.

For more info, here is RC's Anemones & Clownfish Forum....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

Also, here is their Anemone FAQ....

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Good luck :)

Delphinus
01-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Heteractis crispa don't really attach with their pedal disk, but hold open in place with their verrucae.

Their preferred substrate is very deep sand, much deeper than practical for most tanks unfortunately. However in a pinch, a deep crevasse in rock should work as a substitute.

When I kept this species it had its foot into a 2" crevasse, extended down at least 12". It would open up about 14" across. Literally it was held in place by inflating its pedal disk against the crevasse.

Without something to brace themselves properly, they will literally float around in the current. This could spell disaster if they encounter a heater or pump/powerhead intake; so be very judicious about ensuring it is settled into a spot that is satisfactory to the anemone.

RobbAdams
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, he didn't make it:redface: :sad: whenI got home last night, it was shrivelled up and its guts were hanging out.he has been removed and disposed. my intakes were all protected, but it may have made contact with the heater.

going to wait a couple of months, and perhaps try a BTA.

I did a 5 gallon water change, I am changing my quick filter every 12 hours or so, and replaced the carbon in the quickfilter.

I will be changing another 5 gallons when I get home.

My skimmer does not seem to be working. the inside of the colection tube on top gets really dirty, but nothing rises to the top of the tube?? I have lowered the tube all the way to the bottom, with still no skimate?

The tank is really cloudy after the Anemone "incident" so I know it should be pouring out the skimate......... weird?

Any suggestions.

RobbAdams
01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I guess I should really start a new thread with this??

Robb

christyf5
01-13-2006, 05:37 PM
no this is fine, you still need help :wink:

If your water is cloudy, I'd definitely be doing water changes, probably a 20-30% water change to start and test all your parameters to make sure nothing else is going on. And run carbon as well :biggrin:

danny zubot
01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Thats really too bad about your sebae.:cry:

if its any consolation, the creatures don't fair well in travel sometimes and it was most likely doomed from before the day you bought it.

meltdownaverted
01-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Take the time to find a healthy one. With the right tank conditions they are very hard to kill.