PDA

View Full Version : 42G Lighting Recommendations

JHG
01-11-2006, 03:31 AM
I'm planning on setting up a 42G (36"x18"15") in the near future and am thinking of what options I have in terms of lighting. The tank is only 15" high so I'm assuming lighting this tank will be a bit easier than a taller tank. Please fire away with your suggestions. I'm looking to purchase within Canada on this one, if possible.

Thanks,

J

NanoReef
01-11-2006, 04:06 AM
in my opinion. a 175w metal halide and mabe 2 96w VHO actinincs... that would be premium lighting for that tank in my opinion.

Ruth
01-11-2006, 04:29 AM
I agree with Nano however if you think you might be upgrading to a larger tank any time in the next year you might be better off to go with 250W lights as you can always raise them higher off the water surface. I use a 250W penant as the only lighting on my 44 cube that is 18" and it works just fine. The bonus is that I can get a larger or deeper tank and this light will still work just great and save me the cost of having to replace my lighting.

digital-audiophile
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
After -lots- of research I just bought this fixture (250W) from J&L for my 37 Cube 20x18x24. That might be an option for you?

http://www.pfolighting.com/AquariumPgFolder/AqJepgFiles90402/HFP8SIL.jpg

HORIZONTAL METAL HALIDE/POWER COMPACT FLUORESCENT PENDANT
This pendent uses our parallel reflector to focus the light into the tank as well as supplying sockets and an electronic ballast for 2-28w Power Compacts. Mogul base metal halide up to a 400W bulb. The metal halide ballast is remote with an 8' cord. The pendent should be mounted with the bulb parallel to the front of the tank. The power cord comes out the side with eye bolts on the back to hang the fixture. It can also be attached to an existing hood. The pendent is made from powder coated aluminum. A 4' fan is included with a glass lens. The metal halide and fluorescent lamps can be independently controlled.

Dimensions: 12.5"W, 7.5"H, 16"L

fatpuffer
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
HOw much was it?

digital-audiophile
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Not cheap by any means :p I paid $684. That includes the PFO Pendant, 250W 13k Geismann Bulb, 250W HQI Ballast, Ice Cap Variable fans, PFO Mogul Nightlight, 2x28W PC Actinics.

A Cadillac for sure but It seems to be a solid good quality pendant that will serve me well on this tank and in the future. I decided to spend the few extra bucks and get all the bells and whistles for a 24 hour lighting cycle.

fatpuffer
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
It looks really nice...any pix of the tank?

Js

digital-audiophile
01-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I actually just bought it this week, it is supposed to get to J&L on Friday. Once I will post some pictures for sure!

JHG
01-12-2006, 12:51 AM
in my opinion. a 175w metal halide and mabe 2 96w VHO actinincs... that would be premium lighting for that tank in my opinion.
Any idea on the cost of such a setup?

digital-audiophile,
Your lighting suggestion is likely a good one, but far outside of my budget. I'm looking for something that will allow me to keep more than just softies and that has "Honey, I didn't re-mortgage the house to buy this." price tag.

J

Willow
01-12-2006, 12:58 AM
this is what im going to add to my 42 gallon prop tank. it is very reasonably priced and has a tiny footprint.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquamedic/am-ocean.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-75011&Category_Code=Oceanlight-p

mark
01-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Might of missed it but what are you planning on keeping? Answer to your light question would be based on your stocking plans. Example, obviously you don't need a $700 MH combo if your plan is FOWLR or mushrooms.

JHG
01-12-2006, 04:09 AM
I'm looking for something that will allow me to keep more than just softies and that has "Honey, I didn't re-mortgage the house to buy this." price tag.
See above.

StirCrazy
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm planning on setting up a 42G (36"x18"15") in the near future and am thinking of what options I have in terms of lighting. The tank is only 15" high so I'm assuming lighting this tank will be a bit easier than a taller tank. Please fire away with your suggestions. I'm looking to purchase within Canada on this one, if possible.

Thanks,

J

you can get away with 150 HQI, 175, 250 , 250HQi ect... ut what you got to think about is if you are ever going to buy a bigger tank. if not find a cheap 175 watt or 150 HQI set up. if you are going to have a canopy then you can just buy a reflector and case and save money over a fancy aqualight or something like that. if you might buy a larger tank laiter then go for the 250 or 250 HQI now and just mount them a little higher. (you could probably get away with one light if you raise it high enuf but I have two lights in my 36" tank. but if money is a issue you could buy one cheaper pendant now mount it higher in the middle then next summer buy another if you feel it is nessassary. (oh and when I say 250 HQI I do not mean the double ended bulb. I am talking about the ballast. if you want to run double ended bulbs it is up to you but I prefer single ended bulbs as they have a better spread.

Steve

tbone
01-18-2006, 05:17 AM
how much do u think custom fees would be for to order from the states?

akhanf
02-02-2006, 03:11 AM
how much do u think custom fees would be for to order from the states?

I ordered my 2x250W MH setup just last week from an ebay store in the states. I'll let you know how much custom fees are when I get them. Great deal otherwise, just under $400 USD for the 2x250W coralvue retrokits with reeflux 12k bulbs.

JHG
02-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Here's my 42G tank. I'd prefer to use a retrofit or whatever else works best on the canopy portion of my tank. I used to have a few standard plant and aquarium bulbs for the tank when it had live plants (freshwater) and in the picture below and using a 20" bulb as it created a nice effect with the African cichlids coming out of shadows, etc. I'm leaning towards VHO setup and hoping to keep mostly soft corals. Any decent recommendation would be welcome. Looking for most cost effective setup. Anyone use DIY kits from AHSupply?

J

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/jays_aquaria/Tanks/LivingRoomTank.jpg