PDA

View Full Version : Question for Computer security experts

bluetang
01-11-2006, 02:38 AM
In you opinion, what are the must have products to properly arm your computer against hackers, viruses, adware ect....

I've got a problem child computer, that I want to bomb proof.

DanG
01-11-2006, 03:31 AM
AVG antivirus is free, it works well and they update it frequently enough that it's effective.
Microsoft Antispyware. Currently in beta form, it's a great program to have (partially because they bought it from someone else called Giant).
Spybot Search & Destroy. Another freebie, it had a great feature called immunize. Install it, update it and then by running immunize it blocks ~8000 different things from getting in.
Google Toolbar. Another free one, blocks most of the popups you will run into on the internet.

If it's for a younger kid and you're using windows xp, I STRONGLY recommend making a guest account for the computer. The guest account has limited privelages and they can't install or make any system wide setting changes.

A lot of people lately are pushing Firefox as a much better browser than Internet explorer, but in my opinion, for a kid using a guest account with the spybot search and destroy immunizer in use, Internet explorer will be just fine.

Reefhawk1
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Norton Internet security is the best all in one system I have installed on my computer.

mr_alberta
01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
A router is a good piece of equipment for adding a layer or security to your system.

saltynuts
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
pm beermaster. hes a computer I.T. kind of guy might be able to help ya out!

Murminator
01-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Norton Internet security is the best all in one system I have installed on my computer.

I have this too I works the best for me no viruses, adware, spyware nothing

DanG
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Norton was great about 4 years ago, ever since, it's been a resource hog.

Willow
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
AVG antivirus is free, it works well and they update it frequently enough that it's effective.
Microsoft Antispyware. Currently in beta form, it's a great program to have (partially because they bought it from someone else called Giant).
Spybot Search & Destroy. Another freebie, it had a great feature called immunize. Install it, update it and then by running immunize it blocks ~8000 different things from getting in.
Google Toolbar. Another free one, blocks most of the popups you will run into on the internet.

If it's for a younger kid and you're using windows xp, I STRONGLY recommend making a guest account for the computer. The guest account has limited privelages and they can't install or make any system wide setting changes.

A lot of people lately are pushing Firefox as a much better browser than Internet explorer, but in my opinion, for a kid using a guest account with the spybot search and destroy immunizer in use, Internet explorer will be just fine.

i would agree with all that, avg, search and destroy run everytime you reboot, firefox and maybe a firewall of some sort.

bluetang
01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
What type of firewall do you recomend

Rob

DanG
01-11-2006, 08:09 PM
A hardware router from netgear, linksys or dlink. Futureshop and bestbuy typically have them for $40 or so.

Matt
01-11-2006, 11:04 PM
What do you mean by "bomb proof"? The suggestions you've got so far aren't bad. A normal "user" account that doesn't have administrative priveledges; set your windows update to automatic so you get patches; get and install an anti-virus program (AVG is great, but set it for daily updates, and I second the brickbat for Norton); get and install a hardware firewall (NetGear is my current fav); install an anti-spyware utility (I don't like MS' product, they've been slow to denounce bad behaviour from "partner" organizations); turn off windows file sharing; uninstall any Peer-to-Peer apps like kazaa or limewire; use a mail program other than outlook express (preferably one that doesn't render active content) ...

With those precautions, you're mostly "bomb proof". If you're adventurous, have a look at Windows "onecare" -- a peek at the next-gen MS service.

For more protection, consider unplugging from the net, or installing a linux OS, or go to greater lengths (like hiring someone) to harden your Windows OS.

blood_hound
01-12-2006, 01:29 AM
In you opinion, what are the must have products to properly arm your computer against hackers, viruses, adware ect....

I've got a problem child computer, that I want to bomb proof.

I say there is no real way to make your computer "bomb proof" as long as your connected to the "net" especially from hackers. If there's any reason for a hacker to hack your pc he can even if you spent alot of money on equipment and software. Even those big company that spent millions of dollar for securing their system has been hack.

But I got one simple solution for hackers, virus and adware "turn off the net' lol jk.

but yeah a good anti-virus and a hardware firewall will give you a bit of comfort.

peace out