PDA

View Full Version : WTB very small puffer or lionfish

Myanth
01-11-2006, 01:41 AM
I have a tank that was holding my nano reef until I got my real tank set up. Of course for the last year and a half the small tank has been a part of my living room and we would really like to adopt a porqupine or dwarf lion. If anyone has one please let me know.

Mike

fatpuffer
01-11-2006, 03:02 AM
HOw big is the tank?

Myanth
01-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Ten gallon w/ two inch sand bed, been running for two and a half years total, a year and a half as the substrate in a very fertile nano reef. Presently has a penguin 270 hang on and a power sweep w/ one damsel in recovery from a bad beating at the hands of my clowns upon introduction four or five snails and a couple of hermits for algea control. Looking for small fish to be loved and cared for diligently.:biggrin:

Mike

fatpuffer
01-12-2006, 05:07 AM
In my opinion, that tank is too small for porc puffers. Maybe the smaller toby puffers such as valentini can be housed in a ten gallon...It grows to about three inches.

THe cleaner crew will be at risk...puffs eat crustacean in the wild. Look up toby puffs and see if they are similar to the other puffs such as the porcs and such.

Js

Myanth
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I realize the custodial crew would be in grave danger and would be moved immediatly. The crunching sound of a few nasty crabs we found in my friend's tank still resonates in my mind as his porqupine made short work of them. And the eery smile on his face when he was done still makes me grin.:wink:
As far as the ten gallon being too small, I agree for a full grown it would be. I am looking for a very small one for now and as I have learned in this hobby... I will have to go bigger and better when the time comes.:biggrin: Probably six months to year at most. Let me know if you see one around.
Thanks
Mike

fatpuffer
01-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Just a precaution...puffs are easily stunted when kept in a smaller tank. I know u will upgrade but it might be too late.

They do produce a lot of waste and I cannot see a ten gallon handling that.

Anyways...Good luck with ur search and make sure u keep an eye on the puff.

Js

guysmiley
01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't recommend one in a small tank either but I was at Big Als yesterday. They had several small lionfish and puffers.

Garrick.

asherah
01-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I'd love a dwarf lionfish or a fuzzy =) Can you keep anything else with them ? I understand they are not a reef fish ?
I think they are the cutest things lol I have heard they are hard to feed sometimes.
What is it they eat?

asherah

bulletsworld
01-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Porcupine puffer fish & other puffers would not go well in a 10gal tank, no matter what size the puffer is. It's simply TOO small and would be cruel. The min requirement for a puffer is 60gal and for porcupine puffers it’s higher as they grow quite quickly and can get up to 18inches.

Here are reasons why a puffer is not a good idea in your small tank. A puffer has the ability to puff 4X its size! Even the smallest porcupine would simple have no room to move in your 10gal if this happened before or after you transfer into your 10gal. Not to mention their not reef safe.

Another thing to consider is they are extremely messy eaters. A diet of Krill, scallops, mussels, etc can pollute a small tank fast, making your 10 gal tank unbalanced easily and creating high nitrates, then turn to ammonia quickly.

Those are just a few reasons why I think a puffer in a 10 gal is a bad choice. The lion fish is also a very messy eater would make your clowns lunch when it got big enough to do so.

An alternative though would be a tiny (1/2 inch) boxfish/cowfish. If you are indeed going to setup a WAY larger fish only tank later that is. I have found it takes a while for them to grow big and they need low flow tanks anyway. I have a tiny one in a 10gal with no problems. They also have the same kind of personality as the puffers which are very personable.

Hope this info helps.

geopod
01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
well said Leeanne,

I agree also.But I wouldnt buy a fish that will outgrow my tank unless I knew I would have the resources for a larger tank when the time comes.And to have it ready in time etc etc.
I had 2 seahhorses in a 10gal for awhile and I felt bad for doing so.They were small mind you but I still felt bad for doing it.If a small fish is gonna get big you may as well get a larger tank now and be done with it.Makes more sense.Funds low then smaller tank=smaller fish.

george

demon666
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
i agree well said george