PDA

View Full Version : Chromis - how many?

mark
01-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Wondering if it's realistic to add 5 blue/green Chromis is a 75G with a Purple Tang and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. Expect the 145g to be up within the month so would only temporary.

Jason McK
01-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Why not just wait until the 145 is up. Let your other fish settle them get the Chromis

J

Beverly
01-11-2006, 01:42 AM
What Jason said.

Funky_Fish14
01-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Those fish would be ok to add in right now however, but yes, as suggested, better to wait, to reduce stress.

Chris

mark
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Thinking about tagging onto one of the group orders coming up and then I could start enjoying them now.

Was thinking might be okay as if I was to do things properly, should probably be placing them in a quarantine tank, which often are smaller than display tanks.

Aquattro
01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Nothing personal to chromis, but they are kinda dumb fish and I don't think they get all that stressed from moves. I've moved mine lots and they always do well, swimming around right away, feeding, etc. I don't see any problem adding them now.

Funky_Fish14
01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
What about stress on the other fish though now of having more fishing swimming around with them? I would think it would stress the other fish uselessly before the move..?

Chris

Reefhawk1
01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a couple of green chromis and I agree with reef raf on this one. Survival rate with chromis is sometimes low especially with chromis in groups. Some will school and one or two will be kicked out of the school and be harassed by the group. I have had this happen a couple of times with a group of six or more. Adding them now would give them a chance to get use to the types of food you feed, also a chance to quarantine them in case of illness form shipping. By the time your new set up is up and going you will be able to enjoy your fish in your show tank and not your quarantine :biggrin:

Xtasia
01-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Seems kinda pointless to "quarantine" them with his existing fish however.. Will be a tight squeeze.

Why not set up a seperate QT in rubbermaid container (barebottom with water from the 75g) with Powerhead, Heater.

I'm sure your purple tang will appreciate not having to share the 75g space in the interim. You get your chromis, and they are Qted for your main system.

Aquattro
01-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I've never seen my other fish react in any way to the introduction of chromis. They just kinda look at them, say, "oh, some little dumb fish" and move on.
If it was me, I'd take advantage of group shipping and add them.