PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an RO/DI unit

digital-audiophile
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Do you guys have any suggestions on what brands are good and which ones to avoid?

How easy are they to plumb in? I live in a condo so it would have to go under the kitchen sink, and I am not the most mechanically enclined person when it comes to DIY/home repair/reno type "stuff"

Reefhawk1
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I am using an aquasafe system for the past year and a bit with no problems. I had it hooked up under my sink at my old apartment and this hook up took 10 minutes.

The system comes with a needle piercing valve and a drain clamp, all you have to do is connect the needle piercing valve to the cold water feed line going to your sink. You then drill a hole in your drain pipe before the trap for the drain clamp for the waste water from the RO unit. Very simple all you need is a drill and a 3/16 drill bit.

Hope this helps

DanG
01-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Another thumbs up for the aquasafe unit. Install took a bit longer for me because I had a leak in one of the fittings. Took care of that and even then it was less than an hour, and that includes the trip to home depot to get some sealer.

digital-audiophile
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks Guys!

Where do you buy the aquasafe unit from? How exactly does these work to produce the water. Do I just turn on faucet and it runs the water out of the unit or does it have a collection basin for the prepared water.

Sorry for the elementary quetions, I've just never had any experience with these before and I am tired of spending $40 a month buying water and lugging those damn heavy bottles from the store every week.

Willow
01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=aqua+safe

geopod
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey digital,

I am in the same boat.I am looking for a unit right now.Cause I am tired of hauling the jugs every week myself.I priced someout at home depot and they are around 300-450.I havent looked at anything else yet.If you find something let me know.If it is worthwhile looking at.

george

digital-audiophile
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Those aqua safe on Ebay seem awesome! I think that is the way I am going to go.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMUS-PLUS-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ4430994878QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Roughly $160 shipped to me door? I don't think I am going to be able to beat that. Especially since it comes with a TDS meter (don't those usually sell for $30ish?)

Greg

geopod
01-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Well see you on the bidding fields......I think I will do the same it sounds good.I was actually looking at the same one last week but didnt know anyone out here was suing Aquasafe.Now I know some people are using it so it must be good.Thanks

george

StirCrazy
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Do you guys have any suggestions on what brands are good and which ones to avoid?

as long as they use standard 10" filters (for the prestages) and standard membrains they are all the same, different options in clear housings and small differences like that. Stay away from propriatary setups like calgon ect.

Steve

DanG
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I got the maximus one with all the replacement filters, replacement DI beads, the psi meter, the tds meter and the holding tank. If I remember right, it was just over $250 Cdn shipped to my door.

Bryan
01-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Another vote for Aquasafe from me.

RonPeter
01-10-2006, 02:38 AM
I've been using the AquaSafe unit for a year now as well and am happy!

Reefhawk1
01-10-2006, 02:51 AM
It is possible that other may be looking for a RODI unit at the same time you are. It may be a possibility that you could get a discount if you orederd a few units at one time.

When I purchased my unit we did a group order direct from aquasafe. I think I spent around 115 with shipping. I have my RODI unit hooked up to a float valve and my container is a 44Gallon rubbermaid garbage can. No reserve tank is needed unless you are using it for drinking water as well.

digital-audiophile
01-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Awesome guys! Lots of great feedback on the aquasafe units!

Unfortunatley I would have to use the little storage canister as it all has to fit under my sink. :(

Reefhawk1
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
There is someone selling a Aquasafe unit with filters in the buy sell equipment area of the board. Check it out if you are still looking

digital-audiophile
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Seems a little too much $$$ for that one though considering what I can pay on ebay for a brand new one.

sharelove
01-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I got the aquasafe last week and I think it's a good unit. I had a guy install it because I'm in a rental and I didn't want to be piercing no holes...Well with some adapters from the hardware store he installed it in 2 hours including a quick trip to the store.

tbone
01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
another vote for aqua safe. had it for about 2 years.

digital-audiophile
01-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Sweet, I bought the aquasafe off ebay tonight. I should have it by next week :)

I have one question for youy guys though, do you use the last stage prefilter with the coconut shells, or do you remove that and bypass it alltogether?

P.S. Being that I have no handyman skills whatsoever I might need some help installing it.

RonPeter
01-11-2006, 04:11 AM
I tee'ed it off with a valve so when I make my tank water I bypass the coconut filter and when I make my drinking water I go through it.

sharelove
01-11-2006, 05:15 AM
I tee'ed it off with a valve so when I make my tank water I bypass the coconut filter and when I make my drinking water I go through it.
I did the same!

Saltysteve
01-11-2006, 05:58 AM
100 GPD, I don't know, unless you guys use a real inacurate TDS meter I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Although better than straight tap water :D
I can't even get a replacement RO membrane for mine for that price :D WOW

Something doesn't seem right!

digital-audiophile
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I've been reading around the web and guys were getting around 20 TDS when using the last cocunut filter, and 0-2 TDS when not using it. _ I would be curious what the guys in this thread using are getting?

100 GPD, I don't know, unless you guys use a real inacurate TDS meter I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Although better than straight tap water :D
I can't even get a replacement RO membrane for mine for that price :D WOW

Something doesn't seem right!