PDA

View Full Version : Next Meet

snailbuddy
01-08-2006, 03:29 AM
So, I hear the next meet is at Dad's place. Anyone know when? I hear it's in January sometime, probably the 21st. Can someone let me know??? Thanks!

saltynuts
01-08-2006, 03:33 AM
ya i herd that from mark too. i think dad is gone that day but we can still have the meet their. mark can get use in! lmao

saltynuts
01-08-2006, 03:35 AM
dam can,t even get him to bite!

Beermaster
01-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Hey Hey now

Jezz Ed are you trying to get me Grounded with Dad lol

but now that you said it, i think i could convince hime to hold the next one hehe *evilgrin*

tbone
01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
what do u do in group meets?

Beermaster
01-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Take a look at the hosts tank, shoot the shit, trade frags if anyone is trading ect. ect... ask questons learn new ideas

and meet new and interesting people, (like Ed, but dont worry he doesnt bite)

demon666
01-08-2006, 02:26 PM
well i wouldnt quite go that far mark he will try to bite if you let him get close enough.....lol

rusty
01-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Take a look at the hosts tank, shoot the shit, trade frags if anyone is trading ect. ect... ask questons learn new ideas

and meet new and interesting people, (like Ed, but dont worry he doesnt bite)
Eds not interesting ... entertaining yes..:razz: Just jokeing buddy:mrgreen:

saltynuts
01-08-2006, 04:36 PM
what did i do to get all this. anyway some one should hold one!

geopod
01-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey and while dad is gone we can all help ourselves to some frags hey Mark???

hehehe

george

So when is the meet give us details

snailbuddy
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Good idea, George! I'm sure Dad won't mind hahaha! Anyone want some little yellow slugs? How about some aipistasia? Free!

Dad
01-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey can anyone tell me were the next meet is??????????

Dad
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok everyone it will be at my place this month on either Saturday the 28 or Sunday 29. I will not be available until the 21 and I can't have Mark and Ed alone with my tank because everytime they get together my tank population goes down. What date works the best for everyone, think about it and let me know and i will post the date on Jan 22.
joe

Murminator
01-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey can anyone tell me were the next meet is??????????

Ummmm Mark is hosting and its at your house and he giving away frags from "his" tank...no I mean your tank and your not going to be there but Mark will be there showing off his tank ...err your tank .....I DUNNO !!! I got a headache I outta here....

saltynuts
01-08-2006, 08:01 PM
both days work for me i am good
what type of goodies do you need!

Myanth
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Could someone let me know how to join the Edmonton club? I've been doing it for about a year and a half and have just got my big tank up and running and the questions are mounting. Thanks.

Mike

saltynuts
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
no real club to join. just ask away!

snaggle
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I vote the 29th I work most Saturdays.

Brad

Matt
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I'll second the motion for the Sunday. I've missed most of the meets because they all seem to land on Saturday afternoon -- and I'm always tied up with family obligations on Saturdays.

Thanks for the offer to host, Dad!

Matthew

snailbuddy
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Yay Dad! 29th is good for me too - my sister & I will bring munchies!! Can't wait to see THE tank. pm me with your address - don't try to fool us with a phony one hee hee!

Murminator
01-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Either day works for me :mrgreen:

demon666
01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
me too either day works.....yay ill be intown for this one.

michika
01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I vote Saturday! If not tell me a week in advance and I'll book it off as a holiday!

Dad
01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi all, the date will be Jan29 @ 2:00pm @ 30 Mill Grove Drive, Spruce Grove. Here is a map; http://www.mytelus.com/maps/printMap.do?street=30+Millgrove+Drive&city=spruce+grove&province=AB&postal=&lat=53.553176&long=-113.914028&scale=12000&poilat=53.553176&poilong=-113.914028&cm=false
Hope to see you all here.
jo

tbone
01-16-2006, 03:08 AM
do you guys mind if i come as well. i'd like to see this group meet. sounds great.
just started my reef again. but never been to a group meet before.

Beermaster
01-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Anyone is more then welcome to come!

well that is except for Ed, unless he brings Clams :D :D :D J/K

michika
01-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm in! See you then.

I'll try to bring that wrasse too if I can catch the sucker!

snailbuddy
01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Try a little, tiny, barbless fish hook - really! Works great and you can brag to everyone about your deep-sea fishing adventure!

rusty
01-17-2006, 11:28 PM
can't make it :sad: oh well maybe next time

fishguyxd
01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I have never went yet to a meet would not mind checking one out ,I am looking for some frags also.

what do you need for eats,etc?

muck
01-18-2006, 08:23 PM
No good for me..
Have fun peeps!! :mrgreen:

Dad
01-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi all, could everyone coming to the meet next Sunday give me a quick pm so I can get an idea on how many. As far as bringing anything maybe just some pop. Hope to see you all here.
jo

geopod
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Cant make it Dad...I have to go to Saskatoon for my nieces baptism....Sorry guys

george

michika
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Me plus 1, and a wrasse!

Salinity Now
01-23-2006, 01:57 AM
I'd love to attend a meet. Is it open to anyone? Do you need to know a secret password? Do I need to catch a blue devil damsel with my barehands to get in? :biggrin:

asherah
01-23-2006, 04:00 AM
lol!!

I don't have anything to offer =p ooo how about some algae ? lol

asherah

pre-2k
01-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi, very interested in this meet, but sorry can't make it to this one; busy on sunday. When is the next meet?? I wouldn't mind hosting a meet in the future.

howdy20012002
01-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello there
just wanted to say that i would like to come as well..as long as something doesn't come up I will be there.
Neal

Beermaster
01-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Meet is open to anyone and everyone, just PM Dad to let him know your comming, and bringing frags is not fully required, just if you want to trade, but cash always works to lol

tcollin
01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I'll be there. probably with 2 others, and some munchies. I'll be bring a couple of things to trade - a larger peppermint shrimp (approx 2 1/2" + antenna) and some Xenia. oh yeah, and some cash, cause I'm looking for some frags. And Dad's brain. but not Mark's 'cause it's damaged. ;)

J.Lloy
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm in as well.

Beermaster
01-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm in as well.

Jerod, nice to see on the board, and will be cool to see ya at the meet on sunday

michika
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Mark,

Same deal as usual correct? Bring food/snacks?

Dad
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Some good news for all the newbies including myself Murinator (Murray) has agreed to give us a demostration on fraging he will bring his tools and plugs and a huge rock of zoos then if someone wants some they can take them, for a small fee of coarse.
I will be sitting up a couple of tanks so we can float whatever you may bring.
dad

Beermaster
01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi all, could everyone coming to the meet next Sunday give me a quick pm so I can get an idea on how many. As far as bringing anything maybe just some pop. Hope to see you all here.
jo

here is what Dad had said

scub steve
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
does anybody want me to bring my eel in? i also have a fluval 304 if anbody wants it lets say 40 bucks?

tbone
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
actually i won't be able to make it.
next meet for sure i'll try to come

tcollin
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Umm...just to let everyone know, I have been giving Mark (Beermaster) a hard time about the brain in Dad's tank for about three weeks now. I have offered on several occasions to bring some powertools (a sawzall or a grinder and zipdisks) to the meet to frag it. All have been met with some resistance and a comment of "he'd kick my butt". It's a lovely piece, and one worth drooling over. But the tools will stay at home.

but I'm bringing a big bucket. ;)

Dave.

saltynuts
01-29-2006, 01:10 AM
aaaaaaaaah cant wait till tomorrow @ 2:00
i can get some new frags eat some of moms cooking steal some of dad stuff!
man its going to be a good day!
see ya their

Dad
01-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Ed you can't come until 3pm! Then I can get first pick on all the frags.

Beermaster
01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Only 5hrs till PARTY time :D

michika
01-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Anyone bringing hammer coral?

saltynuts
01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
thanks dad for the meet it was awseome! even though everyone was mean to me. can someone hand me a tissue. was nice to put some faces to the names.hope we have another soon hint hint.(SNAILBUDDY)

Matt
01-30-2006, 12:37 AM
I'll second that: we had a great time. I'm terrible with corelating screen-names to real names, so forgive me if I called anyone by the wrong name.
To Skyler: Pepe is fine, and my girls have agreed to keep his name.
To Joe: Thanks for hosting, Dad! That was fun, and we appreciate the effort that goes into it. I hope the colt frag does well for you. The 'shrooms are terrific.
To Catherine: Thanks for trading zoos.

Everyone: Thanks for making it a good time. I hope to see you all again soon.

Matthew & Sharon

Beermaster
01-30-2006, 02:51 AM
thanks dad for the meet it was awseome! even though everyone was mean to me. can someone hand me a tissue. was nice to put some faces to the names.hope we have another soon hint hint.(SNAILBUDDY)
Suck it up Princess lol :p

Thanks everyone for comming over, Dad and I had a blast and Thank you Murry for showing us newbies how to Frag zoos, it was a great demostration and i think we should have somthing like that at every meet

I hope everyones frags made it home okay and are doing well, i know the frags Dad got are doing well so far :D

Once again thx everyone

and cant wait till the next meet at Snailbuddys lol

michika
01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Everything is doing fine! The little anemone is doing great!

Matt, the zoos are beautiful!

tcollin
01-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Dad and Mark, thanks! It was a blast! We learned a lot of little snippets of "been there, tried this, had this blow up" kind of things. Really liked the fragging demo - next time someone should frag a hammer (hint hint). Can't wait for the anemone to split again - I've figured out how much rock and what kind of layout for the "little black attitude's" new home.

Murray, after I left the frags in the tank for a couple of hours and they opened up, I noticed that there are other colours besides the brown zoos. there are some really nice blue-green fringe/yellow-green center/yellow mouth, dark red fringe/pale yellow center/red or brown mouth, and a couple of deep green fringe/light green center/green mouth polyps. The xenia are doing great as well.
Matt, thanks! the xenia look so cool on that rock. How long until I can take off the elastic? Skyler is happy the girls like the shrimp.

Maybe next time we can have a build-meet? some one can do a hardware order (ed?) and an acrylic order (ed?) and we can have a "u-build-it calcium reactor (or whatever)" demo.

See you all at the next one!

Dad
01-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Again everyone thanks for coming and I hope you all had a good time I know I did. Thanks everyone for all the nice frags. Murray you did a great job on the demo, thanks.
joe

Myanth
01-30-2006, 05:26 AM
I am so dissapointed I had to work. Would have loved to meet up with you guys and see what's out there.

Next time I guess.

Mike

saltynuts
01-30-2006, 11:24 AM
i am to lazy to build stuff i have some guys here in edmonton do it
(calciun reactor,kalk reactor) i get the pros to do that(MR ALBERTA)
HIS LINK IS AT THE BOTTOM OF MY POST!
as for ordering anything we could do that.just don,t tell my wife!

J.Lloy
01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
I just wanted to say it was really great meeting everyone. I had a great time and am really looking forward to the next meet.
Dad thanks again for hosting.

howdy20012002
01-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Just thought that i would thank Dad for hosting.
Those were awesome chocolate chip cookies..lol
good meeting everyone and i will definitely be coming to more in the future
Cheers
Neal

Matt
01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Matt, thanks! the xenia look so cool on that rock. How long until I can take off the elastic? Skyler is happy the girls like the shrimp.The anthelia were mounted over a week ago, and when I just looked at the one left here, it looks like it's attached. I'd snip it anytime.

Best regards,
Matt

Murminator
01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks Diddy and Mrs Diddy for hosting the eats and drinks were awesome. The tank and all the operations were awesome too. I was amazed at the turnout. Did anyone get a head count? 20-25?? Hope everyones frags are doing good I kinda rushed it usually I take longer. Don't blame me when they take over the world. I think we should kinda have a little workshop at all the meets now to think of what to do??? hope everyone had fun :biggrin:

snailbuddy
01-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh, am I ashamed! I totally screwed up on dates and missed the meet I just couldn't wait for!! Don't ask me how, just a crazy old lady, I guess! My apologies!!! Are there any of those chocolate chip cookies left over?

Yes, evil beermaster, we can have the next meet at my place - I would be totally honored - and if it is at my place, I should be there for sure, perhaps in my pj's but . . . if I'm not there, just let yourselves in, hahaha!

Dad, my hugest apologies! I will make it up to you, I owe you big time!

snailbuddy
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
OK, I see I'm being roasted in a couple of posts - yes, I know I totally deserve it! But think about me - how sad I am! I missed out on a great meet!

Next meet will be at my place - Feb 25 or 26 - what will be best for the majority of you?

I will have a holding tank set up for frags.

Yes, Ed - I have that frag for you!!!

Dad
01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Snailbuddy you don't owe me any apologies at all, I know you wanted to be there as much as the rest of us. It was a good meet and we all had fun which we will continue at your place next month I will even bring the cookies.

KrazyKuch
01-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm in for the 25th or 26th!!!

Dad great Meet Glad I could come!!!

rigger11
01-30-2006, 10:30 PM
yes i agree it was a great turn out and a lot of fun... thanks for the demo murray.... the zoos look great and i too was surprised to there were green ones there too........ i do also think we should do a demo at all the meets.... very informative!!!!!!! and thanks again to mom and dad for hosting the meet...... oh and i guess you too mark......... oh and ed im glade you some what behaved yourself......lol........ oh and thatks for building my stand when im away.

snailbuddy
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
"Dad's Cookies" heh heh! You will have to bring cookies - and thanks for understanding!!!
Yup - we need a demo for sure! I could do one, but I hate getting arrested :) So, anyone with some REAL talent out there to share? Let me know . . .

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 03:41 PM
I just joined Canreef, and it is great to see a group in Edmonton meeting regularly, i would love to tag along to the next meet if that is OK.

snailbuddy
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Yay! The more, the merrier :) The date will be either Feb 25 or 26, you are more than welcome! I will pm the address . . .

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Sounds good, thanks!

What is this "demo" people are talking about?

snailbuddy
01-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Well - I missed the last meet, but one of the guys did a demo on fragging! I hear it was pretty cool. So, someone has to come up with something for the next one.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Gotcha. Could that demo be re-done for those of us who missed it? :)

If anyone is interested I could explain how I setup an ultra-safe auto top off system that includes my RODI unit.

snailbuddy
01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, Murry . . . are you into a repeat performance???

Murminator
01-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, Murry . . . are you into a repeat performance???

Wellll I haven't heard that in a while :lol: I still have a couple of big rocks of zoos that could use a fragging. 1 is white face purple fill green skirt the other is a muliti rock all colors they each have a few hundred poylps.
I'd be up for the auto-top off demo

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I will buy the zoos you frag for the demo.

Re-thinking the auto-top off demo, it would be much easier if i do that demo when I host a meet at my place, otherwise I have to tear apart too many electronics. Are the meets Monthly? I could probably finish up my basement by the end of April :) My wife would like the deadline, make me get of my @ss and finish the basement!

I will demo a "new" idea about sand beds - RDSBs - Remote Deep Sand Beds. I will bring in a sample one, and discuss how it works. It is a cheap and potentially very beneficial filtration system.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Not to dissapoint, here are the details of my auto top off system:

The first problem to overcome when using an RODI unit in an auto-top off system is that an RODI unit is not electronic in any way. There is a hydraulic way to control an RODI unit, with the use of a float VALVE, and a hydraulic valve. When the float valve in your water container or tank closes, pressure builds up in the line, the hydraulic valve closes, and this shuts off production of both waste and good water from the RODI. the hydraulic valve is spliced into the plumbing of the RODI unit with quick disconnects. This system is commonly used for RO drinking water units. The problem with using it for a reef though, is that the line between the storage container and RODI can be quite long, and not enough pressure builds up to trigger the hydraulic valve consistantly. No flooding happens, but your RODI unit keeps pumping out waste water forever, no good. You can solve this by installing a bladder right after the RODI unit to build up the required pressure.

BUT, there is an alternative way that I prefer, or even better, use both systems for redundancy. Everyone knows what a float switch is, it turns on and off with changing water levels. I setup 4 float switches for redundancy purposes. This goes to a 12v relay switch (to limit the voltage to the switches or they will blow) which is connected to a sprinkler solenoid. The sprinkler solenoid is perfect because it attaches to your water system in the house, same as your RODI unit does. So, when the float switches call for water, the sprinkler solenoid opens, and allows water to go to the RODI. The RODI then fills the resevoir or your sump, the float switches turn off, sprinkler solenoid closes, and no more water to your RODI. The sprinkler solenoid also defaults to OFF without any power, so if your power goes out, no worries of a flood. 4 float switches are not necessary, 2 is probably good enough, one higher than the other so that if one gets stuck, the other is a backup. Mine are setup so that they are in pairs, and one from each pair has to be activated, or the relay and sprinkler solenoid do not get triggered. This protects me against multiple failures in the on or off position.

snailbuddy
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Hahaha Murry - I bet you get asked all the time!

Reefgeek - if you would like to demo the top off on my tank, it would be absolutely ok with me :) Yes, I would pay for it if you insist . . . Dad's cookies or cash???

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Snailbuddy, that would be a heck of a lot of cookies! The bank teller usually prefers cash though, the cookies just take up too much room in her till. :)

I can get all the parts. I assume you have an RO or RODI unit (doesnt matter which one), if you are interested let me know and I will get you a quote, and we can demo it at the meet. I would need to stop by to check out your setup. I just hate hearing about setups that fail and people flooding.

Murminator
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I can bring bristle worms :razz: ....I think a should have a few million left after the the last meeting:eek:

TheReefGeek
02-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Can you fill me in, what happened?

scub steve
02-03-2006, 05:13 PM
we found a hichhiking bristil worm on the zoo rock he was fragging 4 us sneaky little bugger. dad sorry it took too long to say thanks ive been moving and stuff i though i would fill everybody in i moved to a new place the other day and i just got the sump me and my brother built back under my tank and started to fill it up and ya the overflow started to leak like a bugger all over my flow so im running without a sump right now till i can figure out a way to fix it dont worry all my frags are doing good. its like every other problem with reefkeeping just throw money at it till it goes away

TheReefGeek
02-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Overflow leaking? Is this an internal or external overflow? Leaking along a glued/siliconed seal, or a plumbing connection?

You could have blown a seal moving the tank, or cracked some plumbing.

More details and we can help, shouldn't cost too much (unless you count being a pain in the butt!) unless you have cracked glass.

Murminator
02-03-2006, 07:45 PM
we found a hichhiking bristil worm on the zoo rock he was fragging 4 us sneaky little bugger

"A" bristle worm?...there was about 25 or so on the 1 rock I brought they are now all in diddys sump :biggrin:

scub steve
02-03-2006, 08:14 PM
its an internal leak i bumped the bulk head when i was moving it i think thats what did it. i only saw one bristle worm on the rock lol

snailbuddy
02-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I actually love bristle worms! I would give a few a good home!! Seriously!!

Murminator
02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I actually love bristle worms! I would give a few a good home!! Seriously!!

How about spaghetti worms? have few hundred of those too you can have

kellehar
02-05-2006, 07:57 PM
talk to goerge about the bristle worms I know he's got a rock infested with them. If you have a piece around the same size he might swap ya

snailbuddy
02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
How about it George??

Murray - I love worms, bring some along - thanks!

geopod
02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I have sooooo many bristle worms it aint funny. I am going to be looking for either an arrow crab or 6 line wrasse to get them for me.I have hindreds of these in my tank already.I dont mind a few but this is outrageous.

Come by take what you want they are free and free for the picking.

george