PDA

View Full Version : PH probe, cleaning, and life

Gools
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
How do I clean my PH probe? Is Vinegar safe to use on them? I have a little build up of calcium in the probes teeth. I also want to know how long these probes last. I have had it running since Aug/2004. I still reads good, I calibrate it every month, and it's usually dead on, but wanted to know if they are like light bulbs, and that they should be changed on a schedule.

christyf5
01-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I just used a vinegar solution to clean mine, melts the stuff right off :biggrin:

Psyire
01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
From what I've read probes should be used no longer than 2 years, and that's if you have them on a strict cleaning schedule. (less if you don't) Now ofcourse I wouldn't change them if they are still reading correctly. (assuming you have something you can reference them to) I would also have to say that's it seems logical that cheaper probes would not last as long as well designed, more expensive ones. (however this might not be the case)

Psyire
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
A Q-Tip works well for cleaning probes, I normally clean mine once a week with a Q-Tip (dipped in the tank first) and once a month with a Q-Tip dipped in a vinegar solution.

Salinity Now
01-07-2006, 05:23 AM
I just use a toothbrush. Leaves the probe sparkling clean. 4 out of 5 reefers recommend them.