PDA

View Full Version : Refuguim

gordypoo
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I have an Aquaclear 500 which i'd like to use as a refugium. I had a thicker piece of plexiglass cut to slide in against the motor housing. Although my flow is still too much. Is there a way to slow this flow? Any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks.

digital-audiophile
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Howdy,

Take the black ring off the bottom in the intake tube in the impeller area. I have an AC500 on my 10G and this really helped to lower the flow to a managable level. I also put my plexi baffle on a couple inches right of the impeller housing as well and I think that helps. The last thing I did way put a little rio power head under the waterfall of the AC500 to help break up the flow and it seems to work very well.

Hoepfully this helps?

Greg

Raf
01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Can you switch the impellar for one from a smaller model? Such as a 150 or 200? I think that reduces the flow...

-Diana

fishface
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Can you switch the impellar for one from a smaller model? Such as a 150 or 200? I think that reduces the flow... -Dianacan't do it...the 110 has its own impeller that none other fits. i angled the baffle about 5 degrees and drilled 6 holes near the top...having done this i can use the pump at full flow and not have spill over. i tried removing the black collar and found no difference personally.

darryl

Samw
01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I haven't tried it but what if one cuts a few of the impeller blades off?

fishface
01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I haven't tried it but what if one cuts a few of the impeller blades off?tried that too...definately works but if you cut off too much then the only thing you can do is replace it :( so be advised to cut slowly if you go this route.

danny zubot
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I haven't tried it but what if one cuts a few of the impeller blades off?

That would be like taking the weights off your car tires. Impellars need to be balanced other wise they are loud and ineffecient.

fishface
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
That would be like taking the weights off your car tires. Impellars need to be balanced other wise they are loud and ineffecient.
not from my experience...if it's done carefully, it can be done successfully. i do agree however that if the blades aren't cut or shaved evenly you could have problems.