PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Comline 3110/2

Samw
01-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Like this one.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps3110

$60

I have to warn everyone though that this is not a very good skimmer. The reason is that it is a closed loop skimmer with no water intake and water return outlet. Water from the tank enters and exits the skimmer box through a couple of small holes at the bottom of the skimmer via diffusion. The result is that the exchange of water between the skimmer and tank is very minimal. I've measured oxygen levels in my tank with this skimmer on and unlike other skimmers, this skimmer does not aerate the water in the tank at all (because the highly oxygenated water stays inside the skimmer box). But it is super quiet. haha. So if you don't believe me and think this is still an awesome skimmer, feel free to buy the skimmer from me at less than 35% of what I paid for it. It is in excellent condition with box and manual. :lol: Used about a year and a half.

Local pickup for now.

andresont
01-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I beg to differ Tunze is a very good product.
One is need to know how to select tank size properly :)
Like this one.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps3110

$60

I have to warn everyone though that this is not a very good skimmer. The reason is that it is a closed loop skimmer with no water intake and water return outlet. Water from the tank enters and exits the skimmer box through a couple of small holes at the bottom of the skimmer via diffusion. The result is that the exchange of water between the skimmer and tank is very minimal. I've measured oxygen levels in my tank with this skimmer on and unlike other skimmers, this skimmer does not aerate the water in the tank at all (because the highly oxygenated water stays inside the skimmer box). But it is super quiet. haha. So if you don't believe me and think this is still an awesome skimmer, feel free to buy the skimmer from me at less than 35% of what I paid for it. It is in excellent condition with box and manual. :lol: Used about a year and a half.

Local pickup for now.

smokinreefer
01-08-2006, 04:33 PM
hey sam, if its not sold, i'll probably take it.

thing is a HOB right? assume it has the signature tunze bracket for mounting?

a little skimming is better than no skimming.

my main criteria is that it is qiuet. i was going to go skimmerless purely on that factor alone. so if you say it is qiuet and atleast 'skims' to some degree i'll take it off your hands.

let me know asap. thanks.

Samw
01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I beg to differ Tunze is a very good product.
One is need to know how to select tank size properly :)

The skimmate is weak and there is next to no water exchanged between skimmer box and tank.

Shao, its Hang-In Tank, not Hang-on Back.

Funky_Fish14
01-08-2006, 07:48 PM
I used to have a 3110, and I can concur with Sam that is is SILENT. Infact, I never heard mine running. I have had some decent skimmate from mine as long as it was kept clean.

Chris

andresont
01-09-2006, 12:03 AM
All we care about is skimming DOC (Desolved Organic Carbon) and that what Tunze does. It looks like not much because there is no particulate in skimmate , but that is not something one whants to skimm, you can have any cloth filter to get rid of particulate and marine snow if you wish. or leave it in the tank if you have filter feeders. I know many reefers who in the hobby for more then 18 years in some cases and they all run Tunze 230/3 or 240/3 in their tanks.When i set up my next tank Tunze 9020 is the skimmer for me.
Gallons do not produce waiste , animals do. If one has heavy loaded tank, then skimming capacity has to be increased by 60% from rated size, aspecialy with deep sand bed as it takes a lot of Oxygen out of water.
My opinion only there can be others:),
Good luck reefing
The skimmate is weak and there is next to no water exchanged between skimmer box and tank.

Shao, its Hang-In Tank, not Hang-on Back.

Samw
01-09-2006, 12:45 AM
The point is that if the water can't get into the skimmer, it can't get skimmed. This skimmer works about the same as the Coralife Cocurrent skimmer that I had. Even my Lee's Cocurrent skimmer had darker skimmate. Tunze knows this limitation and has made new skimmers with a water intake and outlet which doesn't rely on passive water exchange. All other skimmers (except other Cocurrent skimmers) that I used in the same tank produced darker skimmate because the water turnover is significantly higher. In other words, it skims the entire tank, not just the water inside the skimmer box. Closed loop and co-current skimmers skim the same clean water inside the skimmer box over and over which is why the skimmate is not dark. Dirty water from outside the skimmer box barely enters the skimmer box.

EDIT:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=674980&perpage=25&highlight=skimmer%20and%20tunze&pagenumber=2

"For SPS the closed loop design was not adequate for the toxin load and mucus production in loaded large tanks."

"Also, I think the percepion is in relation to the price and under the older distributor I remember paying 400 dollars for a 3115 skimmer so it was a lot of money for a very weak skimmer, that should have been $200."