PDA

View Full Version : R/O less D/I anyone?

Saltysteve
01-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Just wondering, I went and bought my tank an R/O unit, I mean my family :)
The sales rep I was talking with was very helpful. He did not want me to spend money where I didn't need to. A bit of confusion centered around the D/I filter. I have to ask, those of you that have your own units, are running both R/O and D/I or are most of you running just R/O ?

What exactly is the benefit associated wth D/I?
Thanks

Matt
01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
There are tons of FAQs around... short answer is that DI is much more complete in removing contaminates than RO is. You can run DI only, but it is more expensive. My office runs RO, and my TDS reads almost 40, while my RO/DI reads 2. Compare to city water (which I haven't read in a while) of well over 300.

That's a quantitative difference, but I can't tell you what the practical remifications to your reef are. They both run a carbon stage (or two), and that deals with the chlor(am)ine, so the most dangerous stuff for your reef is gone without RO or DI. My guess is that the traces of stuff left after RO is likely not too much to worry about.

Matthew

Funky_Fish14
01-06-2006, 01:32 AM
I had been getting just RO water from the store, which was obviously alot better than tap-water. I then purchased an RO/DI unit, which I find the water is fantastic to use as there seems to be alot less algae growth since I have started using it. I never checked up on all that stuff but everything I heard sounds to be the same as what matt said.

Chris

Saltysteve
01-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been using commercial, delivered bottled R/O water in my tank since day 1. I live in the mountains so my "home brewed water" is starting off with a much better chance compared to treated city water etc, or at least my membrane will last longer :) In using the R/O bottled water I still get diatoms, cyano etc. Wonder if the D/I part of the system is the ticket. D/I filter with canister (holder) lines etc is roughly another 80 to 100 bucks on top of the unit I got.

Anyone do any major water tests between R/O and R/O D/I? :D

NanoReef
01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
RO water has only 95% of impurities taken out were as RO/DI water has 99% of impurities taken out. I myself have an RO/DI unit and love it!

clk55
01-06-2006, 03:22 AM
i was using bought bottled ro water and was having cyno problems but ever since i got my ro/di system the cyno has completely disappeared.

Saltysteve
01-06-2006, 03:49 AM
This is going to get pricey :D
How long did it take for you to start noticing a difference?
If the D/I filter takes care of the algae issues, I'm in!

NanoReef
01-06-2006, 04:00 AM
it isnt expensive at all. I baught mine on ebay. it is made by a company called Aqua-Safe Systems. It ended up being $100 after shipping and shipping insurance and everyting. It is by far the best purchase i have made!

Saltysteve
01-06-2006, 05:10 AM
It's what's going to come next LOL..... C02 tank, reactors blah blah blah :D
The DI addition I almost bought is around the same, 100 dollars. Just hoping it's worthwhile !

Skimmerking
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
You will see a big difference in the water quality too. I have noticed it on my 280 that i had in the past. After switching from RO to DI there was a big change and that was just using it from my topp off.

It took about 3 weeks to convert the tank over from City water/ RO water to Complete RO/DI

You are going to have to wait, but you didnt waste your money.
I'm starting to wonder if I skould have RO DI for my FOWLR....:lol: Or should i just stick on another carbon filter. LOL

KrazyKuch
01-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I use a RO/DI and I noticed a difference after the first water change....all the algea is just about falling off the glass!!!

Ruth
01-08-2006, 02:52 AM
I use RO only as I have to buy all of my water and that is all that is available locally. I am on a well with TDS in excess of 1500ppm. To install a RODI system at my house would be quite costly and also take up a lot of room. The RO water that I buy removes 98% of all the "stuff" that is in the city water so for now I am content to use it. When (and if) I build my addition it will include a fish room that will be big enough to install all of the equipment I need to treat my well water. I think if possible to use DI but if not RO is better than untreated tap water - except maybe in Calgary where people seem to have a lot of luck just using tap water.:biggrin: