PDA

View Full Version : Extra Long drawer slider

Jason McK
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking of mounting my lights for my new tank on sliders similar to a drawer slider but much bigger.

I've hunted through Goggle with not luck and need a search word.

I know they must make heavy duty sliders that are extra long. But I'm not sure of the application they would be used for so searching for them is a challenge

What I'm looking for is your typical cabinet drawer slider but it needs to hold about 200lbs. and when fully extended have a reach of about 96inches.

Anyone know were I should look?

Thanks
Jason

saltynuts
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
try garage doors slider

demon666
01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
i was thinking the same. any garage door retailer would have them maybe even rona or home depo

BMW Rider
01-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Lee valley tools has a large selection of drawer slides in capacities up to 400 lbs and 48" in length. Should be something that will suit your need there. Look in the hardware section under drawer slides.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&cat=3,43614&p=43616

Jason McK
01-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I think I just had a brain fart.

If I want to move my hood 4 feet I only need 48 inch sliders for some reason I thought I needed 90 inches.

Lee Vally has what I need

J

AndyL
01-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Just FYI, yes sliding door hardware would be workable, other options are various linear bearings. www.8020.net has some neat aluminum extrusion linear bearings and components (but buy from their scratch&dent / used store on ebay).

I keep threatening to take a garage door opener and build a nice automated light mover out of it.

Andy

wetcoast
01-06-2006, 12:33 AM
This may be out of your geographical area, but I'm sure if you called Steeves Agencies at (204) 474-1239 or by emailing brian@steeves.ca , and asked for Brian and let him know I sent you he'd get you some real heavy duty rails - for you - and whatever else you were looking for. I've been in the warehouse and lots of ideas have come to mind when seeing what there was to offer!

I once considered putting a tank on these rails, but decided not to at last minute. Great selection of stainless steel hinges as well.