PDA

View Full Version : Odd

OCDP
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, I had mentioned a couple days ago that I had woken up to a cloudy tank. I wasn't too sure what caused it, but now I know what did. My anemone must have started wandering after lights out, and got caught in the current and torn apart by my 2 Seios. The BTA is no where to be found yet... so I can only make a good assumption that it got diced up. (tank is only a 20g, chances are I would have spotted him by now)

The odd thing is.... the anemone is gone, must have died, got chopped up, etc., etc.... but why am I not seeing any ill effects to the tank? Everything in my tank looks good..I'd even go as far to say it looks great. Fish are fine.. corals are fine, etc... It's not like I WANT something to be wrong, I just find it a little odd. All's I am running is 2 Seio's for flow, and a Remora and Live Rock for filtration.

Any of you find this a little odd?

digital-audiophile
01-05-2006, 02:59 PM
You would think that there would be some adverse effects? I had my blue sponge start bleach on me and on the second day after it started losing some colour my tank turned super cloudy. I did some tests and I was showing nasty levels of Ammonia and Nitrites. - My hammer is still trying to recover from that incident :(

Have you done any water tests since?

Greg

OCDP
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I haven't. But one can only assume that my levels are okay... nothing is suffering. My SPS are doing great.. and if my SPS in a 20g are doing okay, it's a fairly decent indicator that things aren't that bad. Weird, huh?

demon666
01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
it may be just hideing mine did that to me a while back (actually only like last week) befor he had a run in with my powerheads. i only have a 36g and couldnt find him. turned out he was hiding in a cave under the rock work.... give it a couple of days it may return. but watch the levels in the tank in the mean time just to be safe.

shawn

OCDP
01-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah.. I have searched every inch of the tank and I can't see anything at all. I am pretty sure I would have spotted him. Maybe not though.. cant be too sure. I will watch the tank levels... so far so good though.

demon666
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
i was just short of tearing apart the rock work when mine reappeared.. so best of luck and i hope your didnt face the same fate mine did.

OCDP
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I'll keep my eye on the tank for sure. Obviously I would hope it didnt get eaten up by the Seio's... but I woke up to a cloudy tank with no anemone in sight... so chances could be good.

Bummer.. Seio's are not so easy to cover their intakes.

This also leads me to believe though... my anemone never wandered that much when being introduced. It had never let it's foot go on any rocks it was on.... so who knows!!! hahah.... pretty sure it's a goner though. We'll say I am 90% sure it's gone lol, I'll let you guys know if something happens or it turns up.

Scott

Tarolisol
01-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me a while back when i had my 25g cube, my anemone got sucked into a filter and turned the water all cloudy. It had absoulutly no I'll effects on the tank, i dont even think i did a water change for a couple days.

OCDP
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Weird ... haha, I can't even do a water change. I am out of salt. It is pretty strange though... thankfully mine isn't stuck in a filter as I am not running one.. but I don't even see bits of anemone floating around in my tank.

I think I may try another type of anemone this time around, with more caution. I am thinking of a sebae.

muck
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I think I may try another type of anemone this time around, with more caution. I am thinking of a sebae.
Do you realize how large a Sebae anemone will yet?

OCDP
01-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm more than aware, thanks. I've kept giant BTA's before without problem. If I had to, I'd sell every coral in my tank to keep a species only... so either way, It doesn't matter. And I will be buying one of the smallest possible sebaes I can find.

I do not know however how fast they grow... I am assuming pretty quick??

demon666
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
it will out grow your 20g no problem and qiute quickly id imagine.

OCDP
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
oh, I know it will outgrow my 20g....

anemones grow quickly when frequently fed. I am willing to take a risk haha... once it outgrows it, it will be sold to a new home.

demon666
01-05-2006, 06:52 PM
what are you feeding you anenome i havent been able to get my new 1 to eat since i got it...... i feed frill maybe i should offer something else. i think partly my clown is to blame. he never leaves that anenome alone. always nocking the krill away.

OCDP
01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Feed your anemone almost anything... honestly, in my experience anyways. I feed mine anything.. cyclopeeze, flakes, mysis, brine, silversides, shrimp. The more meaty, the better. Maybe you're feeding too big of portions, which is why your anemone won't eat it?

Turkey baste some mysis shrimp onto it's tentacles next time you feed the tank.

demon666
01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
ill give that a try.. youd think hed take the stuff floating by too but he doesnt . that could be that damn clown again..... i knew i should have never got a clarkii.