PDA

View Full Version : paper work

saltynuts
01-04-2006, 02:21 AM
does anyone know where to get some paper work on importing stuff.
what kind of permits you need or who to contact. please let me know

nate_m
01-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Ed,

Most fish/coral are protected by CITES so the company you are ordering from will need to apply for a CITES permit (I am assuming you are importing from the US). It costs $120 US for the CITES and if the company is not a licensed importer/exporter, they will need to apply for an Import/Export license ($50). Once the CITES is approved (I have received it in as little as 5 days importing reptiles, but I have also had to wait 3 months which is the average wiat time) the animals need to be inspected at a designated port. Not every major city is a designated port so you may need to ship the animals to a customs broker to have the package inspected and CITES stamped. The customs broker will charge $500US for this service but this fee can be avoided if the company is willing to deliver the animals to the designated port themselves. The inspection itself will be $75 US. In addition to these fees, you will also be responsible for duty and GST when the animals arrive. Because of the high fees/time delays of the permits many people chance shipping animals without the proper papers but if you are caught doing this, you can face sever fines and jail time. For more information on CITES, do a search on google with the keywords US Fish Wildlife CITES. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Nathan

demon666
01-04-2006, 03:29 AM
you can also try ab wildlife office in stoney for more info. but from what i have heard from friends importing snakes frome the states it can be a big "P""I""T""A" and can cost more then the animal it self.