PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing -- Long term users

mr_alberta
01-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone was dosing Vodka to their systems? If so, how long have you done it for and have you noticed any changes?

I tried dosing briefly (a whopping week! :redface:) a while back, but got sidetracked before I really got to dose a high enough amount to make a noticable impact on the tank.

Hopefully those who have done it long term can chime in. How much are you guys dosing?

For those of you wondering, Vodka dosing is a European technique to lower Nitrates and Phosphates in a system. I don't recommend anyone do this until you understand what needs to be done to ensure the safety of your animals!

EmilyB
01-03-2006, 05:19 AM
I just discovered capers in Caesers over the holidays....you'll have to pry the vodka from my cold dead hands.....:razz: :lol:

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone was dosing Vodka to their systems? If so, how long have you done it for and have you noticed any changes?

I tried dosing briefly (a whopping week! :redface:) a while back, but got sidetracked before I really got to dose a high enough amount to make a noticable impact on the tank.

Hopefully those who have done it long term can chime in. How much are you guys dosing?

For those of you wondering, Vodka dosing is a European technique to lower Nitrates and Phosphates in a system. I don't recommend anyone do this until you understand what needs to be done to ensure the safety of your animals!

Murminator
01-03-2006, 05:22 AM
I regularly dose with vodka:drinking: .....but not in the tank sorry Harv I had too

Bryan
01-03-2006, 05:25 AM
I experimented for about a month or so and it went ok, I did notice die off in nuisance algae as the bacteria bloom outcompeted the algae for nutrients, but it wasn't without consequences. I lost a clam and I noticed all coralline algae growth simply ceased. My corals also tended to brown out, which was odd as I expected them to lighten up.

I ended up dosing about 3-5 ml daily in my 125 gallon reef

dunl
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Sounds interesting...got any links for interested readers?

scuglass
01-03-2006, 04:46 PM
would this kill the macro in the sump??

vanreefer
01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I have dosed several times never strung them together though... I do notice a bloom of bacteria and get a snotty substance in the low flow areas of my sump... I just manualy remove it... oh and the skimmate seems to be thicker darker as well. Never dosed more than 1cc in 100 gals... water seemd clearer...a bit ...maybe?

I agree with Mr A don't do this without reading about it first... check RC I think there are about 150 pages of vodka discussion in about every forum

mr_alberta
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds interesting...got any links for interested readers?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/116101-post18.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288714&highlight=vodka

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=701738&perpage=25&pagenumber=1