PDA

View Full Version : My Drain is Too Loud

Myanth
01-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Hey everyone.

My name's Mike and I've been checking out all of your wonderful info here.
Great stuff.... maybe you can help me.

I have a 90 gal hagen set up with a 33 gal undersump. It's been running for about three weeks. I'm moving approx 1200 gph through the system and have encountered a problem that I did not anticipate. I have good flow, syphon break in the feed lines, proper water levels everywhere with no leaks, miraculously.

But my drain is so loud. the vortex draining from the surface is sucking air and the excellent design of my basement has gone to pot having my beautiful new fishtank about two feet below my wife's side of the bed. Please help.

I am feeding with a Little Giant FE1000 through 1" PVC, drain is through the end glass approx 1/4 down from top with 1 1/2" PVC elbowed 90 up. Water level is approx 1" above the elbow. I can be more specific if necessary but I think I have gone on long enough.

I was wondering if an air stack over top of the largest drop would allow the necessary air into the pipe or if that would stop the surface skimming. :neutral:

Thanks.

AndyL
01-03-2006, 03:39 AM
You may want to do a quick google search on the durso standpipe, stockman standpipe or hoffer gurgle buster. Basically fancy plumbing on the intake the reduce the noise.

My personal preference, is if there are 2 holes/bulkheads, put a simple stand pipe in one (emergency overflow) then add a ball valve to the second, reducing the flow so that the water level stays steady (and completely covering) the drain - no noise at all.

tbone
01-03-2006, 03:44 AM
here's some links u may want to try

http://home.nc.rr.com/stockmanreef/interest.htm
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe_frame.htm

Myanth
01-03-2006, 03:52 AM
Just one hole and it's in the side. The pressure line comes over the top to give syphon break. I'll check the links and the suggestions though. Thanks

Myanth
01-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Aqua silencer is a great thing. I have built something similar with a standing piece of pipe with abou six hundred hand drilled holes:redface: and a piece of 3/8 tube above it to allow air in. You can hear the air rushing in but it is exponentially better. The only worry I have and have almost encountered is the blockage of the drain holes causing an unnerving rise in water level. Thanks again.