PDA

View Full Version : DAS EX-1 protein skimmer

Saltysteve
01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Has anyone heard of or using one of these external protein skimmers?
Looks like quite the rig.

Thanks

Griffin
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I am using a external DAS skimmer on my 120gal (guess i would have to find out if its a ex-1 or not) and it works awesome - one pump to deliver water and another on the skimmer for ccirculation and air induction. Easy to set up but very slight adjustment on the air valve is needed. Large collection cup with easy twist off fof cleaning. I also have a lifereef skimmer for another tank and i would have to say the DAS does a better job. Your welcome to come take a look but i guess that would be big drive.

Cheers
Rich

Saltysteve
01-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Rich, could you possibly send me a picture of it. I would like to see if it is the same one :D
I decided to buy it, made my decision based on the wrong model though. Went to pick it up today and it is external only etc..... looks nice though!

debsteve@sunwave.net

Saltysteve
01-03-2006, 01:48 AM
I found these online, Deltec APF600, the DAS looks very very similar to these. Without taking actual measurements, the same thing.
What do you all think of their design etc?

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/apf600.php

Griffin
01-03-2006, 02:25 AM
That is so close to the DAS skimmer i have. The design works great - just cleaned out the skimmate tonight and it was thick on the sides and i cleaned it out 3 days ago. To me it works awesome - easy air adjustment - i shut off the water intake only and leave the other pump running when i clean it out so it never misses a beat. I bought it from a guy downtown for $100 (awesome deal) - didn't know anything about them - I was nervous about the 2 pumps crapping out but looking at it the pumps could be matched with off make ones, nice big collection cup and large chamber. Once turned on - maybe 3 slight turns of the air inlet over 2 hours and i haven't touched the setting since. I think once you hook it up you will be very pleased with it's performance. I have to find my cable for my camera but i will take some pics tomorrow - actually have to take some pics of the whole tank now that it's back up since the fire. :)

Rich

Saltysteve
01-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks Rich, 100 bucks, holy smokes :)

Griffin
01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Its amazing what one finds in vancouver.craigslist when canreef goes down - heck my center overflow 120gal with stand and canopy was $150 lol. It was just my lucky week thats all.

Cheers
Rich

Saltysteve
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Sweet,I have to get out more LOL
Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your skimmer. I am still undecided :(

Saltysteve
01-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, I guess I made up my mind, this thing is huge. I have never plumbed such a beast, I'm hoping all will be well. Letting the PVC glue for another 12 hours then I will give it the final rinse before it goes into action. Any comments would be great!

Steve
http://rcpilot.users.sunwave.net/EX-1.jpg

Griffin
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Looks identical to mine except my inlet pipe is not connected to the outlet on the top as you have it and my hose to my inlet pump is differant (mine should actually be longer so the pump can sit on the bottom of the sump) Looks awesome though and yea it is a big hunk of plastic but it works great. Just set up a new computer last night so i have to load some software before i can upload some pics but will do so by the weekend.

Cheers
Rich

Saltysteve
01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey Rich,
I had to construct everything myself. I'm feeding mine right off my overflow. So far I have to lower my output pipe. The water is filling up 1/2 inch above the chamber. Where is your water level set for optimal skimming?
I may end up going simple and running an MJ1200 to it LOL...

Looking forward to seeing yours in action!
Steve

Griffin
01-07-2006, 05:00 AM
i don't think a mj1200 will do it - i use a mag 250 (came attached) and it works great - a 1200 probibly won't have the volume (smaller outlet on the mj comapred to 1/2 outlet on the mag) of water you need to run it but you can try. My water level goes to the bottom of the skimmer cup edge with only foam above the bottom cup edge. Got the pics - just trying to find the darn cable to upload them.

Cheers
Rich

Saltysteve
01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Bottom of the skimmer cup edge. So if you were to shut the air off (valve) you could take the collection cup off and the water would be just below the rim?
That's where mine is sitting now! I almost got mine hooked up and running tonight. Ran into a snag when I realized I never glued a piece of pipe to the T for the output hose to fit on :? Hoping to have her all hooked up and running tomorrow night! :D

Griffin
01-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I just shut the gate valve for the intake water = leave the circulation and air going - water drops well below the cup attaching area. Funny you say you didn't glue one piece - i did the same thing lol

Saltysteve
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
OK, I failed miserably :D
Just put the new skimmer online and I ran out of towels , again :(
The extra resistance from having the sump hooked up made my life miserable. Water came out of the ouptut vent....... So I hooked up a seperate line to the sump and now my durso/drain setup is inconsistent. The water level in my overflow is going up and down etc...

Need to figure out how to get a constant drain, it is affecting the water level in the skimmer??