PDA

View Full Version : New fish maybe lost!

MDG3
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Purchased a yellowheaded goby 4 1/2 days ago. Quarentine tank for 2 1/2 days (no gravel, fish looked lost and scared), main tank 2 days now, and fish is nowhere to be seen. :sad:

Went right for a cave under the live rock on the bottom and
may be lost. Disrupting the live rock is not an "OPTION" to find if he's a live or not.

Should I check Ammonia and nitrite for death or give him time to get used to the environment? Like I said it's been 2 days. :sad:

Squiddy
01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I bought 2 Yellow Gobies and 2 Green Gobies, all of which were very small. The two green gobies hung around for a couple of days after I put them in the tank and then disappeared. One of the yellow gobies lasted a couple of weeks and the other lasted about a month. Now I have none. Not sure what happened to them because they looked healthy and everything.

MDG3
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. :sad:

fakename
01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I would not give up yet. My yellow goby hid for weeks before coming out. Now he is a very visable fish in my tank!! Hopefully your fish is just hiding!
Also, these little gobies seem to do better in moderate to low flow areas. If you have a very high flow tank your goby might come out if you turn off all the flow.....
Good luck,
Aaron

psuedo
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
all of my gobies come out whenever they want. Usually when I am not looking though. Chances are it is still in there and you will see it a few weeks or a month or so down the road.

seashells
01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Are there any piles of sand, or mounds? We got 2 together & one disapeared right away, must have jumped. Wish I could catch the other one now as he is a mountain builder.

MDG3
01-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank all for the encouraging words. Checked on him a few minutes ago and I finally saw his head stick out of a tiny hole in the live rock. The hole was no bigger than your pinky finger. :surprise:

What a relief. :redface: Now I hope he will come out to eat eventually.

Thanks all.

MDG3
01-02-2006, 10:52 PM
I would not give up yet. My yellow goby hid for weeks before coming out. Now he is a very visable fish in my tank!! Hopefully your fish is just hiding!
Also, these little gobies seem to do better in moderate to low flow areas. If you have a very high flow tank your goby might come out if you turn off all the flow.....
Good luck,
Aaron

You were right, he was hiding. :redface:

Yes it's moderate flow at best. I may upgrade later when I get more experience and put corals. (FOWLR)

Thanks again

scuglass
01-03-2006, 01:50 AM
just a question. y did u bother quarintining if u just did it for 2 days? a proper quarintine should last like 4weeks minimum(if the fish is acting fine and healty) if u are gonna even bother with it. and y did u add the fish if it was acting scard? was it eating? ----this is not ment to be rude or flamming u just qusetions. i dont quarentine.

MDG3
01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
just a question. y did u bother quarintining if u just did it for 2 days? a proper quarintine should last like 4weeks minimum(if the fish is acting fine and healty) if u are gonna even bother with it. and y did u add the fish if it was acting scard? was it eating? ----this is not ment to be rude or flamming u just qusetions. i dont quarentine.

No offence taken. My Q-tank is a bare-bottom tank and at the time I thought the goby looked scared and lost because of it (or so I'm thinking). He had his nose to the bottom, going back and forth across the length of the tank. So I thought by putting him in the main tank where there is substrate, he might sift for food.

Remember, I'm a newb and in no way have any past experience with marine fish. :redface::neutral: