PDA

View Full Version : Still Not Onboard With The New Board

Johnny Reefer
01-01-2006, 04:44 AM
It happened again.
I log in.
Spend twenty minutes, or so, typing away.
Click "Submit Reply"...
and I'm told I'm not logged in.
Huh?
What the...?
What am I missing here?

Thanx.

PS And where are all the threads in this and other forums?
I see only one "Sticky" in the Q&A forum and that's it.
I don't get it.

Thanx.

muck
01-01-2006, 08:05 AM
PS And where are all the threads in this and other forums?
I see only one "Sticky" in the Q&A forum and that's it.
I don't get it.

Thanx.

If you go into your User CP, click on Edit Options.
Then scroll down to Thread Display Options and change the Default Thread Age.

I set mine to Show all Threads and it displays all the threads ever posted. You can set it it show only those threads posted from the last day or the last month or a number of different options. Im guessing yours is set to last day as that is what mine defaulted to after the forum software switch. Let me know if that helps you at all.. :wink:

Johnny Reefer
01-01-2006, 12:31 PM
If you go into your User CP, click on Edit Options.
Then scroll down to Thread Display Options and change the Default Thread Age.

I set mine to Show all Threads and it displays all the threads ever posted. You can set it it show only those threads posted from the last day or the last month or a number of different options. Im guessing yours is set to last day as that is what mine defaulted to after the forum software switch. Let me know if that helps you at all.. :wink:
Thanx Ryan. That solved that problem.
Any thoughts on the other problem? That being changing what appears to be a less than or equal to twenty minute automatic time-out log off. Not sure if this is unique to my account, (as I haven't seen anyone else express experiencing this), or if it is an occaissional thing, but it's happened to me a few times. It'd be nice to have at least an hour to comfortably compose a post without having to scramble under pressure of a short time restraint.
Us hunt and peck typists tend to make things even worse and drag it out longer under such conditions.
I've seen some interest on the board, lately, expressing interest in premium membership by way of paying a fee. I'm all for that and maybe one of the benefits to such could be a longer log on time for paying subscribers.

Cheers,

Delphinus
01-01-2006, 04:46 PM
The cookie idle timeout limit is currently set to 900 seconds (15 minutes). Unfortunately it is the the same value for everyone and AFAIK cannot be customized on a user by user basis.

If we were to increase it to, say, 1200 seconds (20 minutes), do you think that would be enough? We need to be careful about how much to increase it, as it impacts several things at once (at a minimum, it also impacts the "who's online" listing, that list is based on the same timeout duration after those person's last activities).

Also, what you could do is set the "remember me" option on the board, that way you don't have re-login in the case of a timeout. However posts that were marked as unread before the logout would probably now be marked as read.

Johnny Reefer
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanx for replying, Tony.

I had a :idea: go on today and recalled that with the old board we could do the ol' Word Document cut & paste trick. Does that still work on the new board?
If so, then I suppose 15 minutes would be okay, although 20 would be nice.

Re: The "Remember Me" option....been down that road already.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20900
I wonder if Norton's "Password Manager" would work for that. Anyone know?

Still with "Remember Me"...so am I correct to understand that if I can figure that out then, even though I might get timed out, I'd still be logged on and I wouldn't lose my post composition?

Thanx much,:smile:

christyf5
01-02-2006, 03:08 AM
By clicking the "remember me" box your computer should retain a cookie that should keep you logged in anytime you are at the site. So make sure your computer is set to accept cookies. Other than that, I'm sorry I don't know much about this computer stuff to help you (and no doubt someone else will come on here and tell me I'm full of it :razz:). I'm having the same problem on another website, luckily it doesn't boot me off in the middle of a post but I have to log in every time I go there, even after clicking the "remember me" box.