PDA

View Full Version : what is the best "calcium chloride" brand?

fresh
12-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

I am just about to start the journey of dosing calcium chloride and baking soda using the "homemade two part calcium and alkalinity additive system" link that Beverly pointed to here.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

I bought the arm-and-hammer baking soda, but I need to buy the calcium chloride, and I wanted to know if others have had any success with any given brands. I was previously told that there is something called Spa-Cal that Ideal-Spa carries here in Surrey, but I checked with them and they don't carry it anymore. They have replaced it with a different line.

So if you have any idea what I should get, and where to get it from, please let me know as soon as you can.

Thank you very much.

MO

Invigor
12-31-2005, 11:58 PM
kent turbo calcium

fresh
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Thank you, but I am looking for the homemade calcium buffer, using calcium chloride and water solution.

Invigor
01-01-2006, 12:22 AM
hmm, there was someone on here from manitoba that has like 20lbs of the stuff, think it was silvermax or something..let me look

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19706

I'm also under the impression "Quinster" has some he's willing to give away

fresh
01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
what about localy? anybody knows where I can pick up some "safe" and "good" calcium chloride?

Thank you.

Bryan
01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Kent Turbo is "Calcium Chloride". It may cost more but it is food grade as opposed to something you may find in a hardware store that may be contaminated with heavy metals.

Chin_Lee
01-03-2006, 04:28 AM
dow flake 97-98% can be bought at the pool and spa place located on Fraser Hwy just east of 160.

what about localy? anybody knows where I can pick up some "safe" and "good" calcium chloride?

Thank you.

fresh
01-05-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey Chin,

I did try that store "Ideal Pool and Spa" and they don't have neither the dow-flakes, nor the cal-spa!!!

Actually they did have the dow-flakes but in 50lbs bag, and for a 72 gal tank, that will last me somewhere near 100 years ;) so I can't justify buying that.

They had their own brand, which is called Calcium!!!

Can I use that? or is there anywhere else I can go for dow-flakes or spa-cal???

Thanks again.

Chin_Lee
01-05-2006, 04:59 AM
the 50 lb bag was the only one ive used and tried. I won't recommend the other ones just because they haven't been tried as after market additives whereas the dow has been.
Although i'm sure the other brands will work just as well you will have to make that call at your own risk without any input or suggestion from me because I don't feel the risk outweighs the price of your livestock in your tank.
i know that doesn't help so..... sorry :(

muck
01-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Why not get the 50lb bag. You could keep what you want and sell the rest.
Im sure there are others in your situation that would be interested.. :biggrin:

crusty1
01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
We bought Dow flake through Total Pet. They had to order it in though.