PDA

View Full Version : Softies vs SPS: battle of the brown

christyf5
12-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey guys,

So my tank is mostly sps now (and busy with them), I have a few LPS (frogspawn, blastomussa and cynarina) and some ricordia and zoos. I still have a couple of softies that I've had for over 3 years now and was previously unwilling to give up. Well I mostly still am but I was just wondering about peoples experiences with softies and polyp extension/sps coloration. Currently I have a finger leather which is quite large and a mushroom leather the size of a softball. The mushroom leather doesn't seem to be affecting anything in its vicinity (softies are at opposite ends of the tank). However the finger leather barely has its polyps out anymore (but its always been a bit on the cranky side). A couple of acros that are rather close by have lost alot of color (very pale) and their polyps seem retracted, yet the milliporas that are just as close seem to be doing fine, albeit a bit on the brown side.

I'm hoping to replace my lights next week, thinking that was the case (plus I'm sick of the yellow). Currently I am running Iwasakis that are just past the 1 year mark. Previously I have run them for up to 18 months (at which time I figured I should probably replace them) but have heard people run them up to 24 months.

Anyone experienced this before?? Should I run carbon more often?? Currenly I run it when I feel like it :razz:

Christy :)

Veng68
12-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Since you say your runnning the carbon when you feel like it....... why not run it more regularly and see what happens?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]