PDA

View Full Version : Humidity...

untamed
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
As I continue to plan...and plan...and plan...for my 360gal installation....I am currently thinking about controlling humidity. There are lots of discussion streams on other forums about this, but they usually involve using the central air conditioning to dehumidify.

I don't have central air. How are other people handling humidity issues in greater Vancouver? Is it effective enough just to vent the warm, moist air to the outside?

Invigor
12-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Is it effective enough just to vent the warm, moist air to the outside?

absolutely. Just gotta do it right.

www.humidex.ca

Chin_Lee
12-30-2005, 06:18 PM
As I continue to plan...and plan...and plan...for my 360gal installation....I am currently thinking about controlling humidity. There are lots of discussion streams on other forums about this, but they usually involve using the central air conditioning to dehumidify.

I don't have central air. How are other people handling humidity issues in greater Vancouver? Is it effective enough just to vent the warm, moist air to the outside?

if your installation and location will allow you to, install two 3 or 4" vent pipes to and from the outside of the house and opposite ends of your massive tank. they can be attached to the outside of your house similar to how your dryer outlet or bathroom fans are installed. Install identical in-line fans to each of the vent pipes - one to blow in air and the other to blow out air. This will bring fresh cooler air from outside over your tank while the same amount of humid warmer air will be sucked outside from the other end.
Or just get a portable dehumidifier into the room. I have one that has a digital control and you can attach a garden hose to drain into a drain if you have one close by..... be prepared to prepare and use lots of RO/DI water

untamed
12-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the input!

So the Humidex is really a controlled vent? I suppose this is similar to Chin_lee's suggestion of vents in/out, except that the fans are controlled automatically by humidity level?

It also sounds like we are fortunate that the outside air humidity is not so high that it would be bad to bring it inside. If the outside air was very humid, bringing it in to replace the fish room air would do no good.

untamed
12-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Hmmm...I'm not wild about Humidex's claim that "vented humid air is naturally replaced by leakage of less humid air through doors and windows..."

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a glorified (ie. overpriced) vent connected to a humidistat.

Veng68
12-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Hmmm...I'm not wild about Humidex's claim that "vented humid air is naturally replaced by leakage of less humid air through doors and windows..."

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a glorified (ie. overpriced) vent connected to a humidistat.
Check it out:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21222&highlight=humidex

Ask Biotech........ he had one installed....... maybe if you ask him ....... you can visit...... I think you live in the same hood :)

Cheers.
Aquaman