PDA

View Full Version : Re: Reef-roids

andestang
12-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Has anyone ever tried Reef-roids by Polyp Lab? Used for LPS feedings. Here's the link - http://www.polyplab.com/products.html

dreef
12-28-2005, 10:43 PM
I have been waiting and waiting till they had it in stock.It came in stock on dec.23rd and i ordered some.Heck for 20 bucks i'll give it a go.I'll post back on this thread after i give em a try.

RonPeter
12-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I just ordered some as well, I have heard great things about the product from a friend who uses it.

dreef
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Got mine yesterday,good size of product,going to last a long time.This product reminds me of what an american is selling on ebay.Very fine powder with an orange color.Drives the brittle stars and bristle worms CRAZY.The live rock comes alive seconds after the product is placed into my tank.Even my black sun coral became responsive to feeding under full light.Going to have to wait till i use this further,but looks promising.

RonPeter
01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Does it make your skimmer go crazy? Thanks

dreef
01-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Does it make your skimmer go crazy?

Actually it is suggested that you shut off your skimmer for awhile as well as powerheads,etc.Give the corals a chance to get at the food before it's floats by.

andestang
01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Well ordered some so I guess we'll see how it works between us all.

RonPeter
01-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I ordered some a few weeks ago as well but it hasn't arrived yet so am looking forward to trying it out.

robzilla
01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
ron, your gonna have to let me know how this works. may have to order some too

christyf5
01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Indeed! :biggrin: And post pics of it. I'm sort of curious to know if its much like the reef chili product that I use (sporadically:razz: ).

dreef
01-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Well i hosted these on photo bucket as i have no idea how to upload them here ??

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/highball67/DSC00665.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/highball67/DSC00662.jpg

Have a good camera but it wanted to use the flash.As for the color i would say it's like terra cotta, as the clay pots for plants.

christyf5
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
You don't have to upload them here as they are already loaded onto photobucket, you just have to copy and paste them with the tags, or click the little yellow picture above the reply box in your reply.

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/highball67/DSC00665.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/highball67/DSC00662.jpg

dreef
01-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Daaaa thanks Christy !!

christyf5
01-04-2006, 09:13 PM
No problemo.:biggrin: It sorta looks the same as reef chili only less orange-y. Is it a dry powder? I find with the reef chili, because it is mostly cyclop-eeze, it really absorbs the moisture and gets really clumpy.

dreef
01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Yes it is a little lighter in color than reef chili and yes it is a dry powder.Smells the same as reef chili,kinda fishy.I don't seem to have a problem with clumping? maybe my place is dryer,low humidity here in the prairies in the winter.

Psyire
01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I just ordered some to give it a try. I use Reef Chili quite abit and am quite happy with it. I figure it'll be good to alternate between both.

dreef
01-05-2006, 12:27 AM
And you get way more product than reef chili,id say about 4-5 times more so it's way cheaper,and your supporting a canadian company :)

Psyire
01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
That's good to know. I still like to feed a variety, and this way I can say my tank is on 'roids. lol

Polyp Lab
01-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to contact Titus for sponsorship but so far he has not replied to me. I'm not sure who else to speak to. Can a moderator please message me in regards to this? I used paypal to pay for the subscription but would like to ask some questions to the moderator in charge of this. Thank you

As for the product, although it looks similar to Reefchili, the ingredients are completely different. Reefchili is just a mix of cyclopeeze, GP and ESV dried phyto.

The ingredients in Reef-roids are not just repackaged coral-foods. It is a mixture of naturally occuring marine organisms. One of them being a species of extremely nutritious zooplankton. All of the ingredients in Reef-roids are truly unique to our product and are not available anywhere else in the reefkeeping hobby.

Ron your package was sent out a while ago. It should be there soon. Contact me if it doesn't arrive within the next few working days.

Psyire and Andestang, your package went out yesterday morning. you should get it next week.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the roids. We spent a LOT of time working on this product so to see satisfied users is the best compliment we could receive.

Thank you.

Willow
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
hey polyp-lab. i noticed on aquarium pro's message board you guys were giving out samples to try at a few local shops in the toronto area. i emailed one our local shops to ask if they could get some samples as well for us to try but i guess with christmas it probably got overlooked. any chance some of us on the west coast could get some to try out?

Polyp Lab
01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
We can send out samples. Check the mainpage on our website to learn how.

www.polyplab.com

Psyire
01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
So I got my reefroids the other day and fed my first feeding last night.

I must say I'm impressed. I've never seen such extension from my Acanthastrea Echinata. My Red/Yellow Gorgonians were polyped out like crazy as well. The response from my ricordia & zoo's was immediate.

The big test is how well it helps my corals grow and survive. This ofcourse will take some time to figure out, but I'll post any updates I have.

So far, two thumbs up!

robzilla
01-17-2006, 03:34 AM
got my sample today and fed my tank. the open brain gobbled it up :)
the zoo's and candy cane looks like they enjoyed it too. time will tell.... :)
gonna have too order a big container

Crumm
01-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Got my sample today... going to try it tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it from all the positive responses so far.

Tang_Man_Montreal
01-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Got my sample today in the mail... Will try tonight and report back.
I've been using Golden Pearls for a long time.

Polyp Lab
01-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey Tang man,

GP's and Reef-roids are not even similar in composition.

To start, GP's is made primarily from processed fishmeal. Reef-roids doesn't have any fish product in it.

Reef-roids is an unprocessed product. We use only whole ingredients in Reef-roids so that your water quality will not change. While providing an extremely palatable and nutritious supplement for your corals.

And if you want to be adventurous. Try putting 3 tablespoons of Reef-roids in your tank. It'll just end up in your skimmer with no algae outbreaks. Then try putting 3 tablespoons of GP's in your tank. =)

OCDP
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Ugh, not to sound like an idiot , but how did you all recieve your free sample? Do you contact them through the website and simply ask for it? Or am I completely blind and am not seeing the free sample section. Thanks! This product sounds worthy of a buy.. but I'd like to sample it first, and perhaps order the reef roids with the reefresh when that is available. Thanks!

Scott

christyf5
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
The free sample offer ended about a week ago. It was a sidelink and you had to email them for it. Its no longer on their webpage.

OCDP
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
thanks....

geopod
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I used Golden Pearls before And I just got my free sample of Reef Roids and Now I am ready to buy a bunch.I couldnt believe the responses I had from my tank everything was going crazy for food.Way faster then the GP I used to use.Way to go Polyp Lab.

george

Joe Reefer
01-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I have not got my free sample yet.:cry:

StirCrazy
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey Tang man,

GP's and Reef-roids are not even similar in composition.

To start, GP's is made primarily from processed fishmeal. Reef-roids doesn't have any fish product in it.

it is a good thing you stated this as they look exactly like one of my smaller sized GP :mrgreen: I even had to grab some and look and I can't tell the difference, first thing that popped into my head was man I already have 2lbs of this stuff LOL

Steve

geopod
01-23-2006, 11:06 PM
hahaha Steve, I actually did the same thing.I had to pull out the GP to see if it was the same thing with a different name

george

dreef
01-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Got my sample in the mail today.I got it to give to a good friend to try.I bought a full size the first day it was available.It's got my thumbs up for an amazing product.

fishguyxd
01-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Got my free sample too look forward to trying it out.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Just got my sample yesterday & the gorgonia is extending very well on it.

Does anybody know if OA got in their shipment of Reef-roids yet?

Biotech
01-24-2006, 05:03 AM
James (OA) said Thrs

Chin_Lee
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
OK i've tried the sample for three days straight and I am impressed so far by this product. The powder mixes with water easily and does not float like other freeze dried stuff. The instructions were to add 1/2 teaspoon for each 100 gallons. I only used about 1/2 teaspoon for my system, turned off all pumps, and cut the return pump to a low output. I used a turkey baster and target fed my zoos, goniopora, and all my acros. The sizes look similar to that of rotifers (that I used to culture). I can't say i've seen any dramatic difference yet but I can see the polyps on the acros sucking back these stuff. In lieu of my future plan to culture rotifers, I'm just going to keep using this stuff. Looking forward to long term results.
Interesting effect on some of my acros - they started sliming when I fed them with this stuff. Not much though maybe a few strands of slime. Does anybody know if this is normal or a positive/negative sign for acros?

muck
01-24-2006, 03:52 PM
They must be drooling Chin.. :razz:

andestang
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Well after a couple of weeks of use I like what I see so far. I was almost ready to give my frogspawn its last rights and now it has almost doubled in size :mrgreen: , so I'm hoping this will continue. My ric's have also responded well. I will see after a couple of months if this progress keeps up.

Chin_Lee
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
They must be drooling Chin.. :razz:

so should I keep rubbing the acros between my fingers too? seems to make them drool a lot - they must like the taste of my skin :lol:

Willow
01-24-2006, 04:00 PM
so should I keep rubbing the acros between my fingers too? seems to make them drool a lot - they must like the taste of my skin :lol:

im not sure about acros chin but some lps often slime up when being fed in an effort to catch more food.

Jaws
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Chin,

I spoke with Polyp Lab about this product for acros and this is mainly for soft and LPS (filter feeding) corals. Not that it's harmful for acros but it wasn't really designed to benefit them.

OK i've tried the sample for three days straight and I am impressed so far by this product. The powder mixes with water easily and does not float like other freeze dried stuff. The instructions were to add 1/2 teaspoon for each 100 gallons. I only used about 1/2 teaspoon for my system, turned off all pumps, and cut the return pump to a low output. I used a turkey baster and target fed my zoos, goniopora, and all my acros. The sizes look similar to that of rotifers (that I used to culture). I can't say i've seen any dramatic difference yet but I can see the polyps on the acros sucking back these stuff. In lieu of my future plan to culture rotifers, I'm just going to keep using this stuff. Looking forward to long term results.
Interesting effect on some of my acros - they started sliming when I fed them with this stuff. Not much though maybe a few strands of slime. Does anybody know if this is normal or a positive/negative sign for acros?

christyf5
01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
They did have something on their site saying they were working on a food for SPS but I notice its gone now.:neutral:

OCDP
01-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I know where a chunk of my 400$ is going that's for sure. I haven't really heard one bad thing from anyone about it on here yet either. Sounds like a good product!

Polyp Lab
01-25-2006, 02:27 AM
We are very glad everyone is enjoying the product. A lot of work went into developing that product. The goal was to create a food as nutritious, palatable and water-stable as live food without the cost/hassle of culturing.

Chin: Your acro sliming is a natural reaction when they are fed. They are mesenterial filaments that they will secret in an effort to trap as much particulate food as possible. although the slime you notice when you touch them is likely a stress reponse and not a sign of finger-eating corals =)

Christyf5, Wait a couple weeks. The guys at the lab at putting the finishing touches on that SPS product that I can only describe as... incredible.

Good luck with everyone's reef!

andestang
01-25-2006, 03:16 AM
The guys at the lab at putting the finishing touches on that SPS product that I can only describe as... incredible.
Can't wait to see how this turns out. :cool:

christyf5
01-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Can't wait to see how this turns out. :cool:

Ditto :biggrin:

kuatto
01-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Got my sample and will try it tommorow,can't wait to see how things go.
Thanks again for the free sample.

lil_clownfish13
01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
sounds very interesting-- does anyone think/have experience with this as a food for reluctant sun corals?? im curious!

tina

dreef
01-25-2006, 04:50 PM
does anyone think/have experience with this as a food for reluctant sun corals

I have a black sun coral which as u know doesn't like light,usually have to turn off main lights and just use actinic to get them to let their feeding tentacles out.Not with roids !! they'll be ready to feed under full lighting.Though mine have always ben easy to target feed with frozen live foods.

mark
01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Any effects to clams?

OCDP
01-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Any effects to clams?

Good question, and how about anemones? Anybody notice a reaction to these guys as well? Thanks.

lil_clownfish13
01-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone from west coast bought this? How much is shipping typically? Im in AB

Psyire
01-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Cost me $26.40 total that includes shipping & GST.

lil_clownfish13
01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
well i ordered my big bottle to give it a try-- sounds like a fabulous product!

ps. Dave at polyp lab-- fantastic customer service! very impressed!

Scavenger
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately my free sample never arrived. :( Not sure if it never got shipped or the mailman lost another package.
Fortunately I was given a sample from a friend.

Wow! I sure didn't expect what I saw. My large finger leather looked like a million pulsing xenias and the hammer mucused it up and sucked it in like spaghetti. Most corals seemed to enjoy as well, but those 2 had me in awe.

OCDP
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Okay... nothing but excellent remarks keep coming in. I am ordering mine tonight. :mrgreen:

RobbAdams
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I recieved an e-mail a while back saying my sample was being mailed, but I never got it? Oh well

Robb Adams

Polyp Lab
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,

We are on the bring of release another product and we have been EXTREMELY busy.

I would kindly request that anyone who previously requested a sample of Reef-roids but did not receive it in the mail, please re-send your address to polyplab@gmail.com

(RobbAdams, Scavenger, etc. etc.)

We sent out over 250 samples and it is possible that a few of the addresses got lost in the pile.

I personally apologize for anyone who requested for a sample but did not receive it (I was the person who was supposed to send them out)

Regards,

Dave

Willow
02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
well i grabbed a container from oa last week and tried it twice. i have a 90 gallon lps tank with many different acans, blastos, chalice, frogspawn, hammer, bubble, diplo, zoo's... i didn't notice any initial amazing results like others have experienced. some of the corals accepted it, other just wouldn’t open for it the fish all seemed to like it. the acans reacted and started to feed and some zoo's reacted but the tank didn’t wig out and go into a feeding frenzy. i feed a variety of other foods regularly so that might be why some people are getting a reaction if they don’t feed their tank to often. i guess my results may be more long term (when the container is empty) as to how effective the food is for me. hopefully i can keep my acans fat and colourfull with it.

i should also add that i didn’t observe any weird side effects like algae outbreaks after feeding like i did gp's. i wonder if this food might be effective in raising fish fry with? i know chin had a hell of a time when he was raising his last batch of bangaii's.

OCDP
02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Just ordered mine, finally. I am very excited to try it out... sounds very promising.

Bought myself some more LPS corals over the past month as well.. should be cool! I'll post back my results as well..

Mike Olson
02-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I have been feeding my 150 with reef roids for the past 1 1/2 weeks...my gorgonian, open brains, frogspawn and hammer have all responded by noticeably expanding more. Definitely like the product! I have beenfeeding a teaspoon every two days...how much is everyone using and how frequently? A teaspoon even seems like alot with all the pumps off!

OCDP
02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Okay, recieved my Reef-Roids last night and fed the tank for the first time. I just used a small little chunk of roids in the 20g.. turned the pumps off, and target fed a few areas (frogspawn, hammer, rics, zoos, anemone, clam) Just to see the reactions.... then I dumped the rest of the batch in the tank and turned pumps back on. My observations after the first feed:

Frogspawn - Slimed up, then shrunk up about half hour later (eating?)
Hammer - No reaction. [perhaps I didn't get enough roids onto it]
Rics - My blue ric's started puffing up in a couple areas. My green Yuma did not appear to have a reaction.
Zoos - Not all zoos ate this stuff, but my bullseyes closed up completely around the food.. pretty neat.
Anemone - As soon as the roids hit the tank you could see the tentacles go all crazy trying to catch the food, but when I spot fed... the thing just tried closing right up .. again, pretty neat.
Clam - You could tell it tried to eat some, it closed up and re-expanded.

My fish went pretty nuts as well... clowns were just swimming all over trying to suck it all up... my watchman goby went bonkers, trying to steal my pipette I used out of my hands.. he literally stuck his whole mouth over the syringe haha.

All in all, not too bad for the first feed! I was pretty impressed with the reactions, so long-term use should be pretty interesting. Looking forward to seeing long-term results :D