PDA

View Full Version : Scratched glass!

Mike Olson
12-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to 'remove' a couple of scratches from inside a filled tank? I have a magnetic cleaner and I didnt notice what looks like a tiny sharp snail shell on the outer edge of the cleaner...it only made contact in a couple locations where the bow in my tank is!..One is 3 inches lon and a few 1 inch scratches....I had my 72 Bowfront for a year and never scratched it, I set my 150 Bowfront up 3 weeks ago....never fails!

j83
12-28-2005, 06:43 AM
I hate to be the one to break the news to you but I believe glass is very hard, if not impossible to repair especially with it being full of water. Acrylic yes, Glass No. I Think (although I am no expert) that there MAY be glass scratch repair kits out there but I have no idea how good they would be.

Chin_Lee
12-28-2005, 06:49 AM
have anybody seen that solution that you can apply on eyeglasses that removes all scratches? I've seen it on some infomercial and often wondered if it will work on our tanks for fine scratches. On TV, they scratched a pair of eyeglasses up with steelwool and then applied this stuff on it and it was all clear again. Hmmmmmm

OK never mind. did some research and it appears to have not worked for anybody who's tried it.
Disregard.

Doug
12-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Let me know if you find something. I scratched the new "starfire" front, because NOW, I find out its softer and scratches easier than normal glass.:sad:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggg. :twised: Nice way to wreck a new 180g cube.

I also now find out, that it appears there are different grades of starfire. DUH!!

I,m going to try the glass company itself today and see if anything can be used to buff it but from the responses on other boards, it appears that we who have scratches are toast. :cry:

Mike Olson
12-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies...I looked into it as well and found you can get an ultra fine sand cloth, sand it, then use this product that will fill...only thing is, they say it might cause a 'slight distortion'....I have had two people look at the tank and it took both about 5 mins. to find them...I guess I will have to live with it! I am big enough to admit I would #!@**&^ my glass trying to fix it!!!!!

Bryan
12-29-2005, 05:46 AM
The makers of Starphire Glas deny that it is softer than regular glass, but I disagree, I find my tank with a Starphirre front and sides can scratch quite easily.

Doug
12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
The makers of Starphire Glas deny that it is softer than regular glass, but I disagree, I find my tank with a Starphirre front and sides can scratch quite easily.

Thats what he told me also but I have the scratches. :twised: IF, it was one of us cleaning the tank, then whatever scratched it, did not scratch the other three sides. My builder said it does scratch easier, something I wish I had know sooner. Me stupid for not researching better but I have read hundreds of starfire threads and never once noticed it. Now that I have starfire, it "oh yea", you never knew that:rolleyes: and the threads on scratches and/or the light blue tint in the edge are everywhere.

Seems to be a divide on if it should be clear white looking edge down or have the ligh blue/green tint like mine.

I have some pics of mine but :smile:

Doug
12-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Here be the new scratched starfire glass. :sad:

Gools
12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Doug, my heart just sank looking at those pics. Don't know what to say. That truly sucks, I hope there will be a way to patch it up a bit.

Doug
12-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Doug, my heart just sank looking at those pics. Don't know what to say. That truly sucks, I hope there will be a way to patch it up a bit.

:cry:

The sad thing is the scratches are the main topic in all the threads on my new tank, on various boards, instead of the beauty and wonder of the tanks nice design, its set up and its inhabitants.

As I mentioned elsewhere, not really sure what I will do, short of taking it down.