PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Back Xenia

Beverly
12-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I have several tall stalks of xenia that are out of control. I'm thinking of trimming back to about an inch from the rock. I'm pretty sure they will grow back from the stump that is left, but just want to make sure.

Anybody do this with success?

Invigor
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
yup, xenia is indestructable!

Edmonton Eskimo
12-27-2005, 09:20 PM
If you need to get rid of some clippings Bev I'll take some!

scotchy
12-27-2005, 09:45 PM
That is actually one of the fragging methods described on Garf. They even have a video on it.

Scott

Veng68
12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Do you know someone who has a butterflyfish?

Put the rock in the tank with the butterflyfish and see if he goes to town on it.

I read somewhere (I forget where) about someone who did that with a Racoon Butterflyfish.

Not sure how permanent that would be (ie. if they eat the whole xenia including the stump).

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

smokinreefer
12-28-2005, 12:25 AM
are you trying to trim it? or get rid of it?

if youre just wanting to trim, then yes, cutting the tops off will work. provided they are healthy the stumps will regrow.

if you are wanting to get rid of them completely, you will need to peel/scrape the whole stump off.

Beverly
12-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Scott,

Thanks for the tip. Here's the page for xenia propagation....

http://www.garf.org/MPegs/XeniaPropagation.html

Jason and anyone else,

PM me with your phone number and best time to call if you want some.

Shao,

Just want to trim it back and start it again. It's way out of control. Have a video that shows the xenia, but our server is down at the moment. so no video for the time being. Will post it either to this thread or in the buy/sell forum.

Vic,

Have a small latticed butterfly, but it doesn't nibble the xenia at all. Maybe when it grows up it will.