PDA

View Full Version : Shaw or Telus internet

mark
12-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Have Shaw now, no complaints but Telus is promoting the iPod nano.

What's the differance re: speed and access?

Chad
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Have Shaw now, no complaints but Telus is promoting the iPod nano.

What's the differance re: speed and access?

just get telus then switch back a month after :) I have a friend who did that once when they were promoting a web cam if you signed up. Though maybe they have some contract now preventing you from leaving within a certain time frame..

AndyL
12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Speed wise, depends on your neighbourhood... In some areas shaw is really slow, in others its pretty darned quick. Telus is about the same across the board...

When the cable connection is good, it will blow away the DSL. But on the down side, our area has some connectivity problems with shaw - the cable internet will just cut out for significant periods of time.

For my neck of the woods, the shaw connection is faster - but less reliable. I've got telus, my neighbours got shaw - and honestly we've setup our routers so we can both access either network; so if I'm doing a big download I can use his, if his connection is down he'll use mine.

Andy

Bryan
12-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Just a rant here, but don't these offers sometimes **** you off. A couple of months ago Canada trust was giving away a free Ipod for people who moved their accounts to them. I have been a loyal Canada Trust customer for 10 years holding saving, mortgage and loan accounts with them, why don't they throw me a FREE Ipod for all my continued business!!

Gizmo
12-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Just a rant here, but don't these offers sometimes **** you off. A couple of months ago Canada trust was giving away a free Ipod for people who moved their accounts to them. I have been a loyal Canada Trust customer for 10 years holding saving, mortgage and loan accounts with them, why don't they throw me a FREE Ipod for all my continued business!!

Damn straight! Shaw offers their NEW customers free PPV's when you buy a digital cable terminal, I bought 3 at different times, I sure as hell didnt get any more free PPV's.

As fer the original question telus or shaw. One word... Union. Telus is THE worst telecommunications company in Canada. They treat their customers like garbage, and not to mention their employee's, which in turn creates even more distaste towards customer service. Just on ethics alone one should not ever use telus. Shaw does have better service on average... 5Mbit download and 1 MBit upload on their standard service. Telus is 1.5 Down and 640kbit up. IF your lucky.

scuglass
12-27-2005, 11:40 PM
i was with shaw and in woodbine it sucked it always disconnected me i have telus now and never havre problems

Abbyreefer
12-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Bryan if you go in and complain to the bank manager and mention that you will move all of your business especially your mortgage I'm sure they will give you the Ipod.. But agree with you 100% I'm already with shaw and like Cable internet but find you'll never get the same deals as if you keep switching back and forth from cable to DSL.

smokinreefer
12-28-2005, 12:52 AM
i've never used telus.

and i've personally never had any noteable connections problems with shaw.

i'm sure there are people who have had both good and bad experiences with either provider. but i would think about which provider you think will provide you with better products and customer service.

keep in mind, to get the nano you will need to be on a 3yr contract. and will pay a hefty penalty [can you say, the price of a nano!] if you need to break that contract for any reason.

Cap'n
12-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Telus sucks! I hate the company so much I even switched my phone to Shaw as well. Best part, (besides reliable service), $55 every month no matter how much I'm online or on the phone.

BMW Rider
12-28-2005, 03:22 AM
I've had Telus high speed for a number of years now, and the service has been great. I've had only two or three outages in that time. I originally chose ADSL because I had my computer in a location that would have been nearly impossible to run the cable to. I've had no reason to switch since, and a few months ago they gave me a free upgrade to the enhanced ADSL which gives me 2.5 mbs plus double the web space and a few other extras. Most of the time when I encounter slow downloads, it is due to the server on the other end, thus a faster cable connection would not improve the speed anyway. I don't do huge downloads, so no concern there either, and the speed I have is plenty fast for normal browsing.

Oh, and watch those voip phone services, they will never tell you unless you ask, but they do not provide full 911 service like a regular telephone connection. When you dial into 911, your phone number and address are automatically entered into the 911 computer system providing you are calling from a normal phone line. If you use a voip line, they probably will not get that information since the majority of those services have not bothered to try to provide that important feature, and in fact they have fought to delay having to provide it. Even a cell phone will at least provide a cell location and a phone number to 911. This data is important since it can speed the dispatch of emergency services, or if you are unable to give the operator the data they will have it all ready and be able to send help.

I'm in no way a cheerleader for Telus, I just like to compare apples to apples when I chose a service provider.

Bob I
12-28-2005, 03:32 AM
It is probably just a matter choice. I have used Shaw light for years and have never had a problem. This post is coming from Moscow Idaho BTW using Super 8 Motel's network.:biggrin:

christyf5
12-28-2005, 05:31 AM
After the 3rd rate hike in less than a year with Shaw, I switched to Telus and never looked back.

smokinreefer
12-28-2005, 05:31 AM
heh, well SHAW phone service isnt VOIP, it's just like having a landline.

Chad
12-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Just a quick comment on the VOIP and 911. I believe in the next few months all VoIP providers must provide complete 911 coverage. I could be wrong on the timeing but it is certainly very soon.

StirCrazy
12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
After the 3rd rate hike in less than a year with Shaw, I switched to Telus and never looked back.

um what rate hikes?

Steve.

I have had Shaw internet sense it came out in Victoria and never had problems with it being slow or anything, the people in my neighborhood that have telus have nothing but problems with slowness. Apparently this is because how far away we are from the telus hub. anyways telus just screwed me over on my phone plan (reduced my unlimited long distance to 800 minuets with out my permission. so they basically said I don't care what your contract says we are not honoring it) so I told them to take a hike and went with the shaw phone and it is actually better, it is more clear and has features that telus didn't support.

All and all I cannot recommend telus to anyone my daughter just got her own place and went with telus hi speed to get the Nano ipod, well that was a month ago and she still doesn't have internet as it won't work and Telus charges big bucks to come out and get you running where with Shaw there is no service fees if they have to come to your house. Also Telus has never been good with the customer service end of things to start with.

Steve

christyf5
12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
When I signed with Shaw in 2001 it started out being about $39.95. In the year we had it, it went up to $42.95, $44.95 and finally $46.95. When telus called and offered us ADSL for $36.95 it was a no brainer.

fishface
12-28-2005, 05:31 PM
i was using shaw for a few years but after several calls from what seemed like the mafia, they told me i was using too much bandwidth (don't make us tell you again!)...i dumped them for telus. very strange indeed since i was under the impression that unlimited access meant unlimited access...hhmmm, i guess not :)

rickjames
12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Besides my dislikes for Telus, which I won't go into...

I have used ADSL, Shaw, and Shaw in the 3 homes I have lived in and Shaw has been by far the best connection. Better speed, less downtime, etc. Also, and I may be nitpicking here, but having to register your MAC address for ADSL is a royal pain in the @$$. Especially when since the registration tool is an obscure link and the password to use it is indepedent of your userid/password for web administration. So you always end up calling them and talking to the computer on the end (so annoying), and then to someone on their helpdesk. Oh and just a tip, if you talk jibberish to the computer voice on the other line it won't understand you and will put you through to someone right away rather then prompt you with annoying questions.

There that is my .02.

Chad
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
i was using shaw for a few years but after several calls from what seemed like the mafia, they told me i was using too much bandwidth (don't make us tell you again!)...i dumped them for telus. very strange indeed since i was under the impression that unlimited access meant unlimited access...hhmmm, i guess not :)

Well, anyone who uses the internet for general legit means will never reach their alloted bandwidth. But people who DL pirated Movies or host music swapping etc will eat up their bandwidth fast. Generaly they only hassel you when its been like that for a few months.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I was considering switching to Telus but I just got off the phone with a Telus Mobility customer service rep. & she was totally unhelpful & totally rude & did a complete disservice for the company. I will now be sticking with Shaw because anytime I called Shaw up, their reps were helpful & courteous. If I didn't just resign up with Telus Mobility, I'd cancel my plan right now. A pox on that customer rep's <fill in body part of choice>!!!!

scuglass
12-29-2005, 02:40 AM
lol yah shaw phoned my friend and told him to take it easy on the downloads or hed have to pay for increased bandwith. who new downloading cds 24/7 would cause a problem

StirCrazy
12-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Well, anyone who uses the internet for general legit means will never reach their alloted bandwidth. But people who DL pirated Movies or host music swapping etc will eat up their bandwidth fast. Generaly they only hassel you when its been like that for a few months.

or people who send vidios of there kids to the grandparents.. which is legit..

Steve

StirCrazy
12-30-2005, 12:18 AM
When I signed with Shaw in 2001 it started out being about $39.95. In the year we had it, it went up to $42.95, $44.95 and finally $46.95. When telus called and offered us ADSL for $36.95 it was a no brainer.

man I have been with shaw for ... must be 7 or 8 years now (ever sence they came out with high speed) and it has always been 45.00/month. you must have gotten a promo or something.. I know I missed out on all the promos as I was on Shaw befor it was actualy released as a "tester account"

Steve

Cap'n
12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Did you buy your modem? That knocks the price down a fair bit.

digital-audiophile
12-30-2005, 01:41 AM
I've used Shaw for 5 years and they have been a good internet provider. There have only been maybe 2-3 times that I can remember thT I have not been able to get online but in those cases they fixed the problem fast. You may have to wait for ages on hold with them to get help but they are are always good at fixing a problem.

I personally HATE Telus as a corporation and will not give them a single dime unless I am forced to.

Gizmo
12-30-2005, 01:42 AM

Shaw = some transfer limitation (uploads are monitored) BUT they dont care what you download/upload

Telus = no transfer limitations, but they do monitor what you are downloading/uploading. My brother got a call from telus saying he had to stop the download of "Gone in 60 seconds" or they would cancel his internet. Mafia... Thats Telus.

DiscusZ
12-30-2005, 05:27 AM
If you going with Telus to get the Nano make you you read the "FINE" print to get the Nano you are signing up for 3 years and to break that will cost you.. (I know I am in the "business" .. Remember nothing is "FREE" your paying for it once way or another.

Jim

Reefhawk1
12-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Definatly watch what you sign up for. Telus ripped me off 120 dollars because I cancelled my internet service with them. They told me that they would increace the internet speed if I signed up with them for two years no signed contract, just over the phone. I never did notice a difference in speed, when I went to cancel with them I told them I didnt notice a diiference and I wanted proof on paper that my internet speed was increased. It never happened and I hate telus. I will never pay them another cent for internet or phone :twised:

And every time I phone them with a problem I recieved a message saying (all lines are busy call back later), What a joke.

Dabbler
12-31-2005, 01:56 AM
I switched from shaw to telus many years ago. Shaw was having issues and my internet was up and down for weeks. Telus called and offered me adsl for $30 a mounth and they would throw in the modum for free......and I have since been with telus. I have had a Cellphone for 14 years with telus...no problems, great service, new phone every 3 years {and not just those cheapy phones either,the one I wanted}. I have had great service.

And if you want to talk about Unions...we can start another thread or go for a coffee

tinpusher
12-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Sorry don't have time to read all 3 pages so if this is covered already I appologize.

If you are a big downloader and go over the Shaw limit they will charge you for the extra usage. I am on Telus and constantly go over the limit and have never been bothered. I have several friends who left Shaw and went to Telus for that very reason.

muck
12-31-2005, 03:12 AM
If you are a big downloader and go over the Shaw limit they will charge you for the extra usage. I am on Telus and constantly go over the limit and have never been bothered. I have several friends who left Shaw and went to Telus for that very reason.

Whats the shaw limit?
I have never had problems with this.. :wink:

Gizmo
12-31-2005, 05:10 AM
I've never had a problem with shaw's download limit. BUT if you use a P2P program like say Bit Torrent, which uploads almost as much as you download, you will run into problems with shaw. Shaw hates huge uploads. So if you can find a way to download lots w/o uploading, your in the clear.

StirCrazy
12-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Did you buy your modem? That knocks the price down a fair bit.

you never had the option of buying it untill the last few years and I did a couple years ago and it knocks it down exactly 5 bucks a month so I now pay 40.00 per month. well actualy more like 150ish / month but that includes digital cable with 2 recivers (one normal one HD) and digital phone and internet.

Steve