PDA

View Full Version : Photo Contest Rollover

titus
04-01-2002, 06:36 AM
Hello,

There's not enough entries in the March photo contest so it's going to be roll over to the month of Apr.

Reefmaster
04-02-2002, 12:32 AM
thanks titus, i have an entry but busy times. an extension - i ALWAYS asked for these in school!

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-02-2002, 12:54 AM
sounds good to me too as i had no time until next week or two. :D

pocilipora
04-02-2002, 01:37 AM
Just dont expect to win the prize unless your 2nd or 3rd.

Samw
04-02-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by pocilipora:
Just dont expect to win the prize unless your 2nd or 3rd.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heh. Sorry to hear that you got nothing for first place so far from Reefpure. I guess first place winner should have the right to refuse the first place prize and grab the 2nd place prize. :( Well, hopefully your stuff will arrive one day.

One_Divided
04-02-2002, 02:18 AM
Hey titus, why not a different subject? Sump/fuge is pretty weird.. I mean how do you get a nice artistic shot of a sump? Unless it's a very impressive set up, I don't see it being a hugely popular photo contest topic. :confused: smile.gif

How about we do something like best coral pic... that will get tons of entries.. :D

titus
04-02-2002, 03:54 AM
Hello,

Obviously if you guys have nice photos then it's better. Afterall, the sponsors will have more incentives to actually sponsor something that looks good, right? The contest isn't limited to sump. It's all goes.

As for Pocilipora, I'm sorry about the situation but it's beyond my control. I attempted to find out why with Dave but he told me things are fine. So......

Samw
04-02-2002, 04:34 AM
But what do you mean it isn't limited to the sump. This was the description for the contest: "Take the best sump shot you can".

I just got my camera and I've been meaning to enter but I don't have a sump. I was going to post a message exactly the same as what One Divided said. I didn't really think sump photos are very interesting either and since I don't have a sump, I was waiting for the March contest to be over so that I can participate in the new April contest.

My impression with some sponsors giving gift certificates as prizes is that it is intended simply to get a bigger sale. For example, gift certificates are given away so that the winner can use it to buy a bigger ticket item. However, some people simply want to redeem the certificate without buying bigger items so they redeem the certificate for stuff that is worth the same amount as the certificates. Thus the sponsor loses money instead of making money from the winner and there is no incentive to send the products to the winner in that case.

Some people will say I'm dead wrong here but this is the impression that I get and I might not be alone.

titus
04-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Hello,

Sorry guys my mistake. I now remember. The March contest started with everything goes but then no one entered the contest. Then someone came along suggesting photo of sumps. So that's why.... Sorry, there's too many things going on in this world and I forgot what happened.

With regards to the sponsorship, I'm not even going to speculate at anything. It's a terrible economy as far as I'm concerned. Some manufacturer's president and vp told me verbally that they'll do an ad banner but it's ended up simply as talk. As simple as that. My thinking is that the contest should be entered as purely for the joy of sharing. Who cares whether there are actual prizes anyway. I do agree, however, that people are not living up to the promises.

smokinreefer
04-03-2002, 12:35 AM
you mean i dont win?? tongue.gif
ahahhaha :D

Acro
04-03-2002, 01:35 AM
My impression with some sponsors giving gift certificates as prizes is that it is intended simply to get a bigger sale. For example, gift certificates are given away so that the winner can use it to buy a bigger ticket item. However, some people simply want to redeem the certificate without buying bigger items so they redeem the certificate for stuff that is worth the same amount as the certificates. Thus the sponsor loses money instead of making money from the winner and there is no incentive to send the products to the winner in that case.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps true Sam. I did just that but followed with a perchase with Reefpure. I'm sure you've heard about the results of that. And to keep all updated my masttercard has still not been credited.

My thinking is that the contest should be entered as purely for the joy of sharing. Who cares whether there are actual prizes anyway. I do agree, however, that people are not living up to the promises.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Titus I'm sure that is fine but if it states there are prizes to win then prizes should be won. And yes people should expect there prize if the contest states there are prizes to win.

Jamie

StirCrazy
04-03-2002, 02:23 AM
Titus, sence there seams to be problems with sponcers for the picture contest might I sugest having a web page that the winning photo (or first secon and third) of each month go and the winners are able to write a small blurb about there photo. kinda a braggin page.. whare people can go and look at the monthly winners. don't get me wrong prizes are cool but see if you can get small localy sponcered idems instead of the bigticket stuff thet there is problems with..

just my 2 cents

Steve

Samw
04-03-2002, 04:39 AM
Its becoming clear that giving away $100 in prizes each month by sponsors is not really working. So how about something smaller like a T-Shirt or Mug? Of course, the alternative is to not have any prizes at all. But having small prizes might keep things interesting.

titus
04-03-2002, 10:29 AM
Hello,

Haha I wish I can offer something guys. But as you all know I'm not doing this full time and I don't stock any items I can't. Don't get it me wrong, I've tried to get another manufacturer to sponsor also but they never came back at me. They agreed verbally on the phone and seemed all excited but oh well......

The writing the article part for the winner is a good idea. Maybe I can set that up for the next winner.

Samw
04-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Titus:
Hello,

Haha I wish I can offer something guys. But as you all know I'm not doing this full time and I don't stock any items I can't. Don't get it me wrong, I've tried to get another manufacturer to sponsor also but they never came back at me. They agreed verbally on the phone and seemed all excited but oh well......

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Understood Titus. No problem. Hey, how about some frag donations from members? I can see it now, "Winners of this month's photo context will receive this lovely tennis ball sized purple Acropora". smile.gif smile.gif

titus
04-03-2002, 10:45 PM
Hello,

Who's willing to donate the frags? haha.