PDA

View Full Version : A warning to those ever considering Heteractis magnifica

Delphinus
12-24-2005, 08:33 PM
In a word: don't.

Don't keep this anemone if you like to keep fish alongside.

It's a killer.

I have kept this anemone for nearly 5 years now. I have had to move it 3 or 4 times now in this time. Each time with tragic results.

The last time I moved the anemone, it was the result of a leaking tank and needing to move all animals from one tank to another. All fish were dead within 6 hours. I had assumed this was because it had slimed up; and the fish suffocated.

This time, I moved the anemone into a new home. Having thought I learned my lesson, I removed the anemone from the tank as quickly as possible, leaving all fish behind in the tank the anemone was removed from.

Well, within 30 minutes, my lubbock's wrasse is dead.

Watching him die was an extremely unpleasant experience. I am now wondering if it is some kind of neurotoxin that gets released in the event of anemone stress. I had 4 fish in there, two are clownfish. In the past, they've survived 3 of these "death incidents" now, which suggests to me they have some kind of immunity; although time will be the ultimate judge on that one; the day is young. My cardinalfish has been removed to a different tank and I'm watching her carefully. Although experience tells me that if she starts to show any problems, I will be unable to save her. Whatever it is, it is extremely efficient at killing fish.

I don't know what to say here. The anemone was pulled out within one minute. It released no slime that I could see; the slime it did release was all within the bucket and the new tank. The old tank; there was no visual indication of anything released into the water column. That means that whatever was released into the water column, it was invisible, and within one minute of me removing the anemone enough of it had been released into the water to prove fatal for at least one fish so far.

I've spent nearly two thousand dollars building a new dedicated species tank for this anemone. Now I'm once again faced with wondering if I really care enough for it, to continue on with keeping it. Half of me wants to flush the damn thing right now.

This is something I have not seen advertised so much about anemones. So this is something I wish to warn everyone about: at least with this species of anemone, they are potential killers of fish. Be warned. Do not attempt to keep this anemone unless you are prepared to have a dedicated setup, with ABSOLUTELY NO other fish in the system other than the symbionts.

robzilla
12-24-2005, 09:20 PM
sorry for your losses tony. its tragic to lose fish whatever the cause :(

Ruth
12-24-2005, 09:43 PM
It's funny we don't hear of this more Tony. I am sure you were super careful and fast but given your results I agree that the beast is letting off some kind of toxic chemical. I know that I have seen it in my tank with my huge green carpet and any other anemone that I have tried to add even way on the other side of a 230g. Strangely enough I have one that survived (a small GBTA) that is actually quite close to the carpet so go figure????
On another note if you do decide to get rid of that beautiful guy I would buy it from you in a hearbeat.:biggrin:

christyf5
12-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Wow Tony, so sorry to hear you've had problems with this beast again. :sad:

Skimmerking
12-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear there, Tony about your loss.:cry: Its a shame when you learn the unknown the hard way

Cap'n
12-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear you're having troubles with "The Thing" again. Let's hope the dedicated set-up allows you to fully enjoy the anenome and you don't have visions of it swirling down the drain whenever you look at the tank.