PDA

View Full Version : question about a new 120

vanreefer
12-24-2005, 12:45 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4392
Do you think I am making too many holes in the back glass would laminating with acrylic help?

for the CL I am thinking sequence dart returning ~ 2000 gph after head losses
Return pump Mak 4 ~1000 GPH after head loss
Plus a tunze 6100 on a single controller

= ~6000 gph or 50 x turnover

I will be moving an overcrowded 75 worth of stuff in including ~100 LR

Debating the sand issue with 50 X turnover I am worried about a sand storm

The tank will have a 60 gal as a sump with ~40 gals of water an ASM G4X for a skimmer and an aqua-chill 1/4 hp chiller, and downdraft style Ca reactor

Thoughts...things I have overlooked...? any comments would be appriciated

Thanks
Dan

Invigor
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
i've got 3000gph goin thru my 105 gal, i do get certain errosion patterns in the sand caused by the waterflow, but no storms.

andresont
12-24-2005, 01:16 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...php?photo=4392
Do you think I am making too many holes in the back glass would laminating with acrylic help?

for the CL I am thinking sequence dart returning ~ 2000 gph after head losses
Return pump Mak 4 ~1000 GPH after head loss
Plus a tunze 6100 on a single controller

= ~6000 gph or 50 x turnover

I will be moving an overcrowded 75 worth of stuff in including ~100 LR

Debating the sand issue with 50 X turnover I am worried about a sand storm

The tank will have a 60 gal as a sump with ~40 gals of water an ASM G4X for a skimmer and an aqua-chill 1/4 hp chiller, and downdraft style Ca reactor

Thoughts...things I have overlooked...? any comments would be appriciated

Thanks
Dan
Sand will fly with Tunze pumps if it is a small / medium particle size.
If you get oolite (smallest possible size) it will fly a LOT LESS because particles are sitting closer to each other. also having the oolite sand is better because you food left overs and general dirt will not go deep in sand bed and your cucumbers and sea stars will have good chanse to clean all that up, also you will need only 1 inch of it.
All above is my opinion and there cuold be others.Thx for reading.

vanreefer
12-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Bump...
Anyone have any thoughts about the # of holes in the back pane of glass?

Skimmerking
12-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Looks good man , why not move the holes to the back just a thought. move the holes for the intake to the overflow would be alot easier.

mike JMO

vanreefer
12-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I was thinking about having the CL intake in the overflow box but then I would need a larger overflow box to handle the volume of water flowing throught it...

Skimmerking
12-26-2005, 03:35 AM
i was going to do the same thing Dano. But its not goign to be sucking water in to the overflow ,it will just have lots of water flowing into the overflow.

vanreefer
12-26-2005, 06:42 AM
I am basing my decision on the overflow calculator on RC... I believe the premise is you need a certian amount of linear inches to handle the water volume... anybody else have any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers

vanreefer
01-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I changed my plan a bit... http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/vanreefer/120%20setup/plumbingfinal.jpg

I will now have the CL intake in the bottom pane of glass go to a manifold then have 4 1 " exits into the tank with 1" bulkheads via spa flex tubing Closed loop wil be fed by sequence dart

the overflow will have a 1 1/2" drain and a 1" return which will be split inside the overflow and exit out of each side of the overflow box.
The drain will be split to feed the ASM G4X with recirc mod and gate valve mod. A Ball valve will be be used to create enough pressure to feed the skimmer
returning from the sump will be a MAK 4 Through the chiller and into a 1" bulkhead in the overflow box via spa flex tubing.
I plan to have a thin layer of sand and some LR and Macro in the sump... might try a mangrove pod just for the fun of it.
Any comments?