PDA

View Full Version : Invertebrate Population in 75 Gallon

prospero31
12-21-2005, 11:21 PM
I am on the verge of stocking my 75 gallon and wanted to begin, surprisingly enough, with some cleaners. Looking on the web, I see a lot of vendors offering some great deals for a 75 gallon tank. Yet when I compare what they are suggesting for a 75 gallon tank and what people actually have in their tanks, there seems to be a big discrepency (People seem to have far less inverts than what vendors recommend). As an example:

One U.S. vendor suggested/is packaging 35 red legged hermits, 22 astrea, 18 cerith, 15 scarlet hermit, 2 emerald crab, 1 brittle star, 1 serpent star, 20 nassarius and 10 nerite...all for a 75 gallon.

Pardon my confusion, however are these numbers correct for a 75 gallon?

snaggle
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
I had about that, but I found that the hermits ate the snails so I would go with that many snail and less hermit crabs.

Brad

Funky_Fish14
12-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Personally, the inverts dont help all that much... Im only going to have 4 Electric blue-leg hermits(the big ones) and the 7 or so snails I have left in my 75g.... the rest will be up to the equipment and me. I've had bad experience with emerald and sally lightfoot crabs, so Im not going to reccomend them. Scarlet hermits have been fairly non-violent for me(these are pure red).

I dont think many people have even near that many 'cleaners' in their tank. My favorite snail is the cerith snail, if you have to go with one species.

Chris

Ruth
12-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't care for crabs - even hermits - in my tanks and it seems I am on a perpetual hunt to trap them.
I have about 1 snail per gallon of water in both my large displays and it is an assortment of the different kinds depending on what is available.
I am always amazed at people that can list all the inverts they have in their tank - particularly large ones. I can only guess. I have shrimp in all my tanks, cleaner, coral banded, harlequin and there is supposed to be peppermint in one of them but I suspect that he has been someone's supper as I have not seen him in a while. I have a couple of conches in my 230 that has a sand bed.
I have a black cucumber in my 230 as well as a sea hare. HTH

prospero31
12-22-2005, 12:37 AM
I was just a little.."surprised" by the recommended amount - seemed like a large number of critters. I remain at the "I sure hope it will live" stage.