PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang eating question

Ruth
12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I purchased a large (probably 8-9") Naso tang at the beginning of December. So far the only thing I can entice him to eat is Nori - loves it - grape calurpa - I have just about run out - and some chaeto. He is not at all interested in any meaty foods or formula 2 flack or pellet and in fact only began really tearing into the nori about one and half weeks ago. I have never had a tang before that wouldn't eat just about anything you put in the tank with gusto.
He appears to be healthy - no spots at all and nice plump belly bright color (for a Naso) and very active. Do you think he is ok on mainly Nori or any suggestions on getting him to take some meaty foods. I have tried mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and homemade goop. Even cyclopeeze doesn't really interest him. I have soaked all food in garlic and garlic and selcon.

DanG
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I thought most tangs were herbivores.

Ruth
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Well they are:biggrin: and I know that it is probably just me thinking that everything in my tank has to be a pig it's just that I have never had a tang that also would not go after meaty foods so I worry about him.:redface:

Ryan7
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Sounds like your doing the right things. IME Naso's are a more veggie tang then others. Keep those greens in the tank for him to graze and he should do fine. Keep soaking the foods in Garlic & Selcon.

Chin_Lee
12-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Ruth
I've had some species of tangs that eat meaty foods and some that are strictly vegetarian. I guess it all depends on their "upbringing" and their "lifestyle". But seriously, if they just eat vegies, i wouldn't be too concern considering that is their major food groups. If its strictly carnivorous, then I would be more concern.
see you soon

OAcalgary
12-21-2005, 07:23 PM
i feed my 2 year old Achilles tang exclusively on Nori and he is fat as a pig, tailfin is growng to streak, and weekend i feed him cyclopfreeze.