PDA

View Full Version : Stocking for 72 gallon reef......

mooch28
12-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Hey guys, first off. Tank specs.

72 gallon bow front
70 LBS of live rock
90 pounds aragnite
Mag 9.5 in closed loop for circulation
Fluval 404 for circulation and mechanical filtration
Aquamedic Turbofloater 1000 multi skimmer
No sump
No refuge
Pc (4 x 65 watt lighting) soon to be upgraded to 2 250watt HQI pendants.
LPS, SPS. (not yet, waiting for light.....)
Weekly 20% water changes with R/O water.

Now, for that set up above, im planning the following fish. Please forgive me if i ovrestock a bit, im fairly new to SW.

Pair of Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Bicolor Pseudochromis
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Sailfin/Algae Blenny
1 Powder Blue Tang

I will also be adding various snails, couple of shrimp. Hermit crabs, and poissbly one small star fish.

Am i ok with my stocking levels?? Am i over stocked, understock (meaning i have room for more), etc.

Thanks!

scuglass
12-21-2005, 05:06 AM
dont think the gramma and bi color wqill get along

Tarolisol
12-21-2005, 05:34 AM
The bicolor and royal gramma look almost identicle i would just pick one.

Ruth
12-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Powder blue tangs get quite large and are also a more finicky fish. They are very prone to ich (more so than most tangs because they are all prone to ich) If it was me I would seriously consider a smaller tang like a yellow or purple.

BMW Rider
12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
I'd skip the pseudochromis too. The cardinals don't like agressive tankmates and the pseudochromis deffinitly can be aggressive. I have a purple pseudochromis in my 50 gallon tank, and he doesn't take any crap from the tank bully, a domino damsel that is ten times his size.

andestang
12-21-2005, 03:20 PM
I also agree about the pseudochromis. Instead of the tang how about a flame angel - great starter fish, hardy, colorful and stay small for a 75g.

snaggle
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I would add more flow if you are going to have sps. I was running 2 fluval 204s my sump and 3 power heads and I still wanted more flow. Also are you going DSB or just a normal sand bed you might want to cut some sand and add some LR. Just my two cents.

Brad

danny zubot
12-21-2005, 03:55 PM
I too would scrap either one of the

Bicolor Pseudochromis
Royal Gramma Basslet

I'd replace it with a dwarf angel of some sort and a small yellow or regal tang.

mooch28
12-22-2005, 03:20 AM
Ok, then i'll do.....

Pair of Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Sailfin/Algae Blenny
1 Powder Blue Tang

As for the tang, i'll be giving him to a friend as he grows large. I really like this fish. As for flame angels, do they not pick at corals??

Overal though, what do yo guys think about my stocking levels. Would you say im heavily stocked or moderately.

Thanks!

andestang
12-22-2005, 04:20 AM
Ok, then i'll do.....
As for flame angels, do they not pick at corals??

I had one for just over 5 yrs and never had a problem and another fellow reefer I know had the same good experience. As for over stocked I may drop a couple if you are planning a moderate amount of corals.

Ruth
12-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Just remember that the Powder Blue Tang can be a difficult fish to keep and needs lots of swimming room and excellent and stable water conditions. The Powder Blue along with the Achilles seems to be more prone to getting ich.

danny zubot
12-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Personally I think those creatures will do fine in that tank. I have 8 fish in my 65 gallon but only one largish fish- regal tang.

As for the dwarf angels, they are hit and miss. I've had flame angels and presently a bi-colored angel and none have ever disturbed my corals.

mr_alberta
12-22-2005, 01:52 PM
The powder blue is one of the hardest tangs to care for as they are very disease prone. If you are new to the hobby I would suggest a hardier and smaller tang or wait a while until you get more experience and your tank matures.

As for the Flame Angel, I know 2 other reefers that had to remove them due to nipping. Like most dwarf angels, it is 50/50.

In my opinion you are at a safe-high side for fish load. Most of the fish you have in your list don't really swim around too much and will establish territories so ensure you have enough hiding places and rock.

JohnM99
12-24-2005, 12:58 AM
I had also wanted a Powder Blue tang - but the longer I have spent looking at them, and the more I have looked at some other tangs, the more I like some of the others.

One in particular is Acanthurus japonicus - one of the two so called Powder Brown - but that name doesn't do it justice - it is REALLY attractive. It also seems to be more inquisitive and enjoyable to watch. The previous comments about the lack of robustness of the Powder Blue are certainly true. Check out Bob Fenner's comments at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

A 75 is really the minimum size for any tang - and many people would say too small. 3.5 to 4 feet length is said to be minimum.

And even though the Yellow Tang is thought to be boring by some, it has to be one of my favorite fish - seeing a big school of them in Hawaii is unforgettable - and they have a great "personality".

The blue or regal or hippo tang Paracanthurus hepatus is also very striking looking - a bit skittish, like the Powder Blue, but healthier.

Other Zebrasomas are also good - Sailfins etc -

In fact, tangs are fabulous fish - I would love to have a monster tank that I could fill with tangs. Or another plane ticket to Hawaii.

I agree with the Pseudochromis advice - nasty little beggar.

May also want to consider more flow or even a Tunze surge box - I don't have one but they look great.

Good luck.