PDA

View Full Version : Additions

SJSobczyk
12-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Currently in my 75 gallon i have 2 black Clarkii clownfish, 4 blue/green chromis and a couple of inverts. I was looking at the Flame Hawkfish as another addition, has anyone every kept one? Any stories?

Main question: Do you think i have the room to add it?

Thanks

Steve

Ruth
12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I think you have room in your tank as long as you have sufficient biological filtration with live rock and whatever else you are using. Have never owned one although I would love to find one as they are beautiful fish. From what I understand they are jumpers though and can go after your shrimp, crabs and snails.

SJSobczyk
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks Ruth. I currently have about 140 lbs of LR. But i also have a CBS, a peppermint shrimp, and a couple of different snails. It looks like such an amazing fish and would add some nice color, i just dont know if i want to risk it.

Steve

Bob I
12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I have had a Flame Hawk, and found it to be one of the nicest additions to my tank I ever had. As far as I observed it was in no way a jumper. Due to its lack of swim bladder it can hardly swim, let alone jump. They are naturally predatory on shrimp. If it will fit into its mouth it will likely consume it. It has been stated that they are OK with shrimp that are large.:biggrin:

You should have plenty of room in your 75 that contains only six fish. I had mine in a 10 gallon tank for awhile. I am very sorry I took mine back to the LFS. It was in my early reefkeeping days when I wanted some shrimp. To this day I am still kicking my behind. If I ever see one at a reasonable price I will get it.

naesco
12-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I have had a Flame Hawk, and found it to be one of the nicest additions to my tank I ever had. As far as I observed it was in no way a jumper. Due to its lack of swim bladder it can hardly swim, let alone jump. They are naturally predatory on shrimp. If it will fit into its mouth it will likely consume it. It has been stated that they are OK with shrimp that are large.:biggrin:

You should have plenty of room in your 75 that contains only six fish. I had mine in a 10 gallon tank for awhile. I am very sorry I took mine back to the LFS. It was in my early reefkeeping days when I wanted some shrimp. To this day I am still kicking my behind. If I ever see one at a reasonable price I will get it.

Stop kicking your behind. If you had a angel in a ten gallon you did the fish a favour by returning it to the LFS.

MobyDick
12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Where do you see ANGLE?Stop kicking your behind. If you had a angel in a ten gallon you did the fish a favour by returning it to the LFS.

naesco
12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Where do you see ANGLE?
Oops, I goofed.

Where do you see ANGLE?

Bob I
12-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Stop kicking your behind. If you had a angel in a ten gallon you did the fish a favour by returning it to the LFS.

You need to read more carefully before venturing an opinion. We are talking about a Flame HAWKFISH. Not a Flame ANGEL. The hawk was in the 10 just a few days while I was negotiating its return with the LFS.:mrgreen:

Ruth
12-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I realize that these fish do not have swim bladders but I recall researching wetwebmedia and a couple of other sites when I was looking for one and the information said that they like to perch up high on the rockwork and that they are jumpers - well just about any fish can be a jumper for that matter - but do your own research, as I am sure that Bob has done, and then decide based on the information you find out if this fish is suited for your system.

Bob I
12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't know what they based their information on, but sometimes fish do surprising things.:silly: Based on my observations, mine would have had a lot of difficulty jumping, as it was a weak swimmer. In my tank he would have had to go to the bottom, and make a run for it.:eek:

Cap'n
12-21-2005, 02:00 AM
I have never had a flame hawkfish but I did have a longnose hawkfish. I will echo Bob's sentiment, one of the best fish I have ever had and will definitely get another one if the price and specimen are right.

Behaviour is supposed to be the same; perching, curious, interesting fish. They do look very different, distinct body shapes. Mine could really swim, and jump. I rescued it off the floor once during a water change and found it dried up on the floor on its last day.