PDA

View Full Version : Finally.. at peace with my Reef.

OCDP
12-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, I never thought I would say it.. but I finally feel as if I am at peace with my reef. No more upgrading, no more purchases. Only things I need to keep me going is spare bulbs, and spare buckets of salt.

I am finally happy with what I have in there, watching it grow into colony sizes. Sure, there might be a couple frags out there I'd still like to add.. but that's about it. My tank requires very little maitenance now a days... the biggest chore would be scraping the glass of that nasty green algae, that for me.. transoforms into very short hair algae. Second chore would be water changes, but those are no sweat.

Anyone else out there finally content with everything in their reef? Anyone just doing the regular maitenance, water changes, emptying the skimmer cup, dosing ca and alk, and etc..

Feels good to stop buying, and fiddling.. and just watching things grow and actually ENJOYING my reef.

Just thought I'd share..

BMW Rider
12-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I wish :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just got my calcium reactor online, I would like to tidy up the electrical controls with a Neptune controller thus eliminating the multiple timers and controllers I'm using now. And I recently did some reading on ozonizers, and wondered if one of those would be benificial. I really want/need more corals too now that I have the ca reactor to keep up with the calcium.

Someday... someday.... I envy you.

muck
12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Must be time for a bigger tank then.. :razz: :razz:

dirtyreefer
12-20-2005, 08:28 PM
If you are getting GHA, perhaps you need to upgrade your skimmer :D

OCDP
12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
haha nooooo!

Hair algae is not that bad at all, I have a sea hare to take care of it. Although I'd prefer to not have nutrients in my tank.. but for a 20g it's a little harder. I do however, skim with an AquaC Remora. Very pleased with it... no complaints.

reeferaddict
12-20-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm kinda there... though I doubt it will ever end... I'm just waiting for an ozonizer, but for the most part I'm done too... this last upgrade (from 90 to 135), has taken a year, but I too am very happy with the results.

Sometimes just sitting and watching things grow can be a nice place to be in this hobby... but then along came someone on Monday offering up a 200g.... *sigh*.... I don't think so... at least not right now... :lol:

marie
12-21-2005, 03:03 AM
I've been there once or twice, it got kind of boring so I set up more tanks :lol: .

danny zubot
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm kind of there myself, that is until I get morelive rock on Boxing day. Then I'll have more room for corals.

All I really do lately is scrape glass, clean skimmate, dose and bi weekly water changes. Its good because I have lots of time to spend with mynew son. I can honestly say that within the next 2 years I will upgrade my tank again.:wink:

untamed
12-21-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm there with my 30 gallon hex...

...so I bought a new house and am planning the construction of the 360 gallon!

Funky_Fish14
12-22-2005, 12:26 AM
I dont think that day will ever come for me.... there will always be ways to make improvements. Although it can almost be a pain to do, I enjoy tinkering, upgrading, etc.... It helps keep me busy and always thinking about things. Its one of the things that even when its frustrating it can calm me down from other frustrations, lol.

Glad to hear you are happy at that point however!

Chris

Ruth
12-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Oh definately time for another tank before that feeling set in. That can only lead to complacency, boredom and just lack of interest. What's next? Anarchy I say!
I barely have my latest tank set up and it is far from stocked and already I am planning, and have ordered, my next tank. I think I need a 12 step program!
Honestly good for you. I think we all get enjoyment in different ways from our hobby. I love looking at the different stages that my systems are at and get a lot of enjoyment out of building them and watching them grow. :biggrin:

OCDP
12-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Haha... so I ended up going to Golds today, my Fluval 404 crapped out on me today. So I threw the big POS in the trash. I only used it for carbon anyways. So I bought another Seio 620, and of course... an acro frag hahah...

I just have no more room for stuff! I am happy with the tank, not fooling with things anymore.. just the weekly maitenance. Time to watch it all grow :cool:

Chaloupa
12-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey OCDP-I have to say my tank is finally where yours is too! It was started in October '04 and FINALLY all I have to do is dosing, water changes, empty skimmer cup, top up and that is it! The glass is even clean with my crew...and if you can look at older posts my tank was COVERED in hair algae and caulerpa algae, it was a MESS! But now I can rest easy and watch it grow! I realize now how all the hard work and research pays off and I enjoy it now! Congrats on yours!

And Ruth...I hear ya! I have a 50g FOWLR and my 65g hex reef....what do I have in the garage??? a 180g with 2 overflows and much gear...and a 135g that will take over from the 50g FOWLR...so 2 new tanks to start and fill.....if you find that 12 step program....let me know!!!??

SW_freak
12-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Good to hear I hope to one day be at peace with my 20 gallon High tank.
When are you going to start fraggin coral? Can you post some updated pics of the entire tank and this new acro?