PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater bacteria on Saltwater

Sammy
12-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Howdy all,

Im new to saltwater, been running fresh for few years and I am really digging the reef setups. I can see many changes to my fish room over the next couple years thats for sure. (Ok... next few months)

Need some input or feedback about Freshwater/saltwater beneficial bacteria.
I have been reading quite a few reports on the net lately that The beneficial bacteria from the freshwater filter will do the same job on a saltwater tank if transfered over. I was under the impression that it would not work on a reef tank once seeded by a fresh water tank? Anythoughts?

Cheers,

Sammy

Johnny Reefer
12-20-2005, 03:58 AM
I would say no.
Saltwater systems have other bacteria involved, besides Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter.
Namely Nitrosococcus mobilis, N. oceanus, and Nitrospira spp.
I would think that if you started off with a seeded FW filter, you would have an imbalance of too much of the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter and not enough of the others.
I think it is better to start from scratch and let the filter balance itself out right from the get go, IMHO. (If that makes any sense?):lol:

Cheers,

Sammy
12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks Johnny Reefer :)

That makes more sense then any other info I have gotting on this subject. Thanks a bunch.

Sammy

BCOrchidGuy
12-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I agree, the bacteria is different. I don't see any advantage to doing it this way other than when you add salt you'd kill off all your bacteria and you'd end up with your ammonia spike and your new bacteria would have something to consume. I doubt however that it would make much difference in your cycle time. Don't forget as well most of your equipment will likely need to be changed as well. For the most part salt water tanks need tons of water movement, if you want to grow coral you'll need higher quality lights with different colour spectrum than if you were keeping a fresh water fish tank, or a freshwater plant tank. Live rock etc, it's easier just to start fresh (new).

Doug