PDA

View Full Version : water question

sharelove
12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi, I went and bought some RO water at the box store. Can I use this directly without having to age or add water conditioners like Amquel? Can I just add the salt mix and a powerhead and let that mix for a week and then use this for my water changes (which I do every week)? Can I use it fresh to top up?
thanks

jws444
12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Generally 'yes' to all your questions. Assuming that the RO water is good. Not all stores change their RO membranes religiously. :) See if you can borrow or buy a TDS meter and check it out. Mixing new SW overnight will be fine. I think mixing for 1 week is a bit overkill.

robzilla
12-19-2005, 05:46 PM
i mix mine overnight, some say 6 hours at a minimum if your in a pinch.
you should price out a ro/di unit, it's only 100 bucks on ebay. you price out a few jugs from the whse club, it will pay for itself quickly.

on another note:
are you located in nelson? i work in nelson daily. you get ahold of me if you got some questions. we are doing a group order for livestock in january if your interested.
rob

mark
12-20-2005, 04:49 PM
When I was using store bought ro/di, I would aerate for a day before using to top off or adding salt because of the pH. Aerating a day would bring back to neutral.

sharelove
01-03-2006, 05:54 AM
I bought a RO/DI unit! Just need to figure out how to install it...

DanG
01-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Which one did you get?

sharelove
01-03-2006, 11:41 PM
the one on ebay - aquasafe - 6 stage full warranty looks good...

MDG3
01-04-2006, 12:08 AM
When I was using store bought ro/di, I would aerate for a day before using to top off or adding salt because of the pH. Aerating a day would bring back to neutral.

I agree whole heartedly, AERATE, AERATE, AERATE.

Found out the hard way, when first setting up my tank.

PH= 7.3 with Instant Ocean salt mix. I thought it was a bad batch(or so I was told) but mixed it with powerhead only.

I proceeded to make a test batch to check if it was bad, but this time I used a powerhead and an air pump/stone and the PH=8.3.

From talking to others, it has something to do with carbon dioxide been released to bring the chemistry of the water in check.

I'm in no way an expert, just what I was told. :wink:

sharelove
01-04-2006, 11:01 PM
so even when my new OR/DI unit is hooked up, I have to aerate? I can't use it straight? I would add the salt mix and let a powerhead stir it up for a day or two and then add...

MDG3
01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
so even when my new OR/DI unit is hooked up, I have to aerate? I can't use it straight? I would add the salt mix and let a powerhead stir it up for a day or two and then add...

I would aerate if you are making new salt water, I don't think it's necessary for top off water, I don't anyway.