PDA

View Full Version : slugs spitting stuff???

fresh
12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey all

I just noticed last night that I have two brownish looking slugs that have a very small shell/hat on top of them that just were spitting some kind of eggs or sperm or something similar!!!

They were spitting it once every 3 seconds, and after a short while, the top of my tank was covered by a mat of that stuff!!!

Is this bad or good? What should I do? What the heck are these?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Fresh.

muck
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
They sound like Stomatella snails..
Very possibley they were reproducing. :biggrin:

Bob I
12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Yes they are Stomatella. They are a good thing. However, the mat on top of the water is caused by far more things than the snails.:mrgreen:

fresh
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I just did a search on the net and that is exactly what they are :)

Thank you very much. That was very helpfull.

It also seems that they are very common, reef-safe, and are helpfull in combatting algea. So if they are reproducing, then all I have to say is "get yo freak on" ;) lol

Thanks again.
fresh

fresh
12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Bob I, after your comment, I don't know if I want to stick my hands in my tank any more ;) lol

Bob I
12-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Bob I, after your comment, I don't know if I want to stick my hands in my tank any more ;) lol

Scum on the water surface is very common. If you have an overflow it will get rid of it. There also surface skimming attachments for canister filters. Many people aim a powerhead at the surface to get rid of it. I have a Fluval return just under the water surface, it breaks it up too. Hope that helps.:mrgreen:

scuglass
12-20-2005, 04:10 AM
does it look like someone is smoking a pipe in the rocks? i have them too looks kinda kool.

fresh
12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I am not sure as to if they look like somebody smoking a pipe, because I have never seen somebody smoking a pipe ;) lol

scuglass
12-20-2005, 04:27 PM
never seen alice in wonderland? or shelock holmes? hehe