PDA

View Full Version : shrimp compatibility ...

pc604
12-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi,

Every time I buy a peppermint shrimp, my skunk cleaner either kills it or harasses it into hiding so that it never comes out to eat, and it eventually starves to death. And I thought they were supposed to be friendly. I have a 20 gal nano ... could it be that the tank is too small for them to coexist?

My cleaner shrimp is also quite large, and I can never find a peppermint of similar size at any LFSs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bob I
12-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Hi,

Every time I buy a peppermint shrimp, my skunk cleaner either kills it or harasses it into hiding so that it never comes out to eat, and it eventually starves to death. And I thought they were supposed to be friendly. I have a 20 gal nano ... could it be that the tank is too small for them to coexist?

My cleaner shrimp is also quite large, and I can never find a peppermint of similar size at any LFSs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would probably think they are not compatible. Especially in a small tank. I have always found cleaners to be aggressive scavengers. I personally would not try it.:biggrin:

pc604
12-19-2005, 03:44 AM
Ya they're pretty aggressive... killed the last peppermint I bought.

Anybody with similar experiences or am I the only one? :(

pc604
12-19-2005, 05:29 AM
bump..........:)

DanG
12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I've got 2 peppermints and a skunk cleaner and they've been happy together for the last 6 or so months...
I've never noticed any agression from the skunk.

pc604
12-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Hm...maybe it's just my skunk cleaner that's aggressive. Or maybe my tank is too small. How big is your tank btw?

Ruth
12-20-2005, 01:47 AM
I put a peppermint shrimp in my 44g with a common cleaner and voila - no more peppermint. I am not positive it was the cleaner though as I also have a small Niger trigger in there. To date he has not bothered any of my inverts but I know that they are prone to so who know if it just died of ??? or if there is a killer lurking in my tank.

pc604
12-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Yup that's exactly what happened to me. My skunk cleaner just would not stop harassing the little peppermint.

marie
12-20-2005, 02:07 AM
I've found cleaner shrimp have a tendency to be thugs, even picking on little fish at feeding time :biggrin:

pc604
12-20-2005, 03:01 AM
and I just hate it when they steal food from corals when you're target feeding... i really want a peppermint though ... darn :(

has anybody kept peppermints and skunk cleaners in tanks <20 gallons w/ no problems?