PDA

View Full Version : Editing subject lines

EmilyB
12-19-2005, 01:09 AM
It's nice to be able to edit the subject line in a thread, to say something is sold for example, saves people reading the message for nothing. Can't seem to do that anymore ?

muck
12-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Try double clicking on the box your thread title is in.
(Not on your thread title itself though)

Bob I
12-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Nope the suject line is not in a box when you go to edit mode. And FYI I am not hijacking this thread. I have the same problem.:sad:

Delphinus
12-19-2005, 02:10 AM
In in the "advanced editor" there seems to be the facility to edit the thread title. You should also be able to set the advanced editor as your default somewhere in your profile.

Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll look into it further.

KrazyKuch
12-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Delphinus is right it is in the advanced editor which you can set as your default editor in you "User CP" Edit options!!

Bob I
12-19-2005, 03:26 AM
All I can find is enhanced editor. That is how I am set up, but it does not have any function for editing subject lines.:sad:

KrazyKuch
12-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Hey bob when you click on the edit button, at the bottom of the page write beside were it says Save click on the button right next to it "Go Advanced" from their you can change the title!!

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Hey bob when you click on the edit button, at the bottom of the page write beside were it says Save click on the button right next to it "Go Advanced" from their you can change the title!!
Not sure what I'm missing here.:frown:
Tried the above but it only changed the title within the posts.
It didn't actually change the "main" title.
Help?

Thanx much,

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Seems that one can edit a post, but they can't edit their thread title?

Thanx much,:smile:

christyf5
01-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Yes you can edit your thread title. Click on edit, then under the reply box it will say, submit or "go advanced". When you click "go advanced" the page will refresh and above the text box will be your thread title. I don't believe you have to fill out the "reason for change" or whatever it says on there.

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Yes you can edit your thread title. Click on edit, then under the reply box it will say, submit or "go advanced". When you click "go advanced" the page will refresh and above the text box will be your thread title. I don't believe you have to fill out the "reason for change" or whatever it says on there.
That's what I did. It just added the new title to the post. It didn't actually change the thread title.
I'll try again.

Cheers,:smile:

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Nope. Sorry. I must be missing something.:sad:

If there is anyone out there who has actually had success in changing a Thread title, I would very much like to hear how you did it.

Willow
01-17-2006, 04:22 AM
your are trying to edit a thread you created right?

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 04:43 AM
your are trying to edit a thread you created right?
Yep, thats right. Just want to change the title, is all.

Samw
01-17-2006, 06:38 AM
I tried it a few times and it doesn't change the subject in the index pages. You only see the edited subject when you are reading the message itself. When you search for threads (old or new), the search results will show the old subject.

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Okay. Well, I guess the last resort is to ask if a moderator can change a thread title for me, please? (Since the thread was moved from one forum to another, I don't think that is too much to ask is it?).

Thanx much,

christyf5
01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
PM me and I'll do it, if I can. I can't figure it out either :confused: Which thread is this? Is it the one that got moved to Tank specs?? I'll move it out into reef so at least people see it there.

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
PM me and I'll do it, if I can. I can't figure it out either :confused: Which thread is this? Is it the one that got moved to Tank specs?? I'll move it out into reef so at least people see it there.

PM sent.

Thanx,

Delphinus
01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I just tried it and the feature does work.

Are you editing the FIRST post of the thread? It will only work if you edit that one. If you edit any of the subsequent posts, it will only edit the title of that individual post.

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, the first post.
But I don't want to edit the title of the post.
I want to edit the title of the whole Thread.
I've tried everything I can think of, but there seems to be no feature that enables members to edit a Thread title.
Maybe mods have the ability?....

christyf5
01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Tony, of course it works for you, you're a moderator :razz:

I tried it and it didn't work for me (as a regular member). For now I guess you'll have to PM the mods for a change in thread title. Unless Titus knows how to do it.:neutral:

Delphinus
01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I tried it as a regular member ..... ?? It honestly worked.

Ok, I'll keep looking into this....

Willow
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
it's probably a permissions setting set for each forum and each level of group member.

Delphinus
01-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Ok, figured it out. There is a time limit for which thread titles can be changed. It was set at 5 minutes. So if you edited the thread right away, it would work, but after 5 minutes you cannot change the title in the index, only the individual post.

It seems as if we cannot disable this "feature" altogether, I set it to 0 minutes and suddenly we couldn't change thread titles at all anymore.

So ... I've changed it to 24 hours. If you have a change of heart about a thread title, have it within that first day after posting. Otherwise.. seems we're stuck with the title as-is. Sorry..

christyf5
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
OK I changed it to approximately 1 gigajillion minutes, so keep track of how many minutes its been since you created that thread that you want to change the title of :wink:

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanx guys, for your time, effort and interest in this.

Thanx, Christy, for the thread title change.:biggrin:

Good luck in what you guys discover, regarding this.

I know I'll be using more thought in selecting a forum for new threads, from now on, in attempts to avoid this.

Thanx again and cheers,:biggrin:

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Fantastic! Great work Guys!
Just made one minor additional change to the newly changed thread title and it took!:biggrin:
Looks like 1 gigajillion minutes falls within Dec 1st to today.

Thanx heaps again and cheers,:biggrin: