PDA

View Full Version : Just a question.

knubbins
12-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Hello again all, I was just wondering if you can cycle a new tank with uncured live rock? I appologise if this question sounds stupid but I just thought I would ask as I dont see how it would make a difference. Please remember that I am new and tragically prone to asking dumb questions :(.

Thanks for your input

fakename
12-19-2005, 01:15 AM
You can definetely cycle a tank with uncured live rock. The major difference will be that the uncured rock has more stuff still on it to die off than cured rock. Because there is more stuff there will be more debris, and you might even have to pull some of the rocks and scrub off some of the dead crud on them.
One method with uncured rock is to let it cure in the tank, with the tank bare bottom so you can easily siphon out debris, as the die off takes place.
The die off on the rock will provide lots of waste to get the cycle in your tank going, although it might take a bit longer to complete than with cured rock.....
Good Luck!
Aaron

Invigor
12-19-2005, 01:21 AM
if you're married, don't do it in the house.

Ruth
12-19-2005, 01:28 AM
I cycled both my large tanks with uncured live rock. The 230g I ordered the rock from J&L and was I ever glad it was summer and I could have the doors and windows open because for a couple of days it was a pretty intense smell. For my 190g I got the rock from Ocean Aquatics and I was dreading it because it was already too cold to leave everything open but actually there was virually no smell. Both shipment were uncured rock, in fact the stuff I got from OA was basically drop shipped.