PDA

View Full Version : Good idea or round file

Ruth
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
We just moved our office after having a new office/shop built so I get a chance to see some of the stuff they have in the shop. Anyway they had this table built for them that is probably 6' X 4'. Of course it was built as a table for work so is designed to hold some really heavy stuff like well heads etc. Anyway it is on wheels but has 8 retractable legs that can be put down to stabalize and add support for really heavy things. It has one on each corner, 2 going down the center and another 2 along the 6' side on the edges. I thought this would make a cool tank stand because it would give you the ability to move your tank if say you had it against a wall and needed to move it out to fix plumbing or whatever. Am I out to lunch here or is this a good idea?

mr_alberta
12-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Can the table hold about ~3000lbs of weight? A 6'x4'x2' tank would weigh about that much full of water. Then factor in the weight of the tank/rocks/equipment....

Also, even if it could hold all that wieght, it probably wouldn't be that easy to push around once its full...

Just my 2 cents.

Ruth
12-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Yea your probably right Harvey and that's why your the DIY guy and I'm..........not. But actually I think it can hold that much but it is being pushed around on a concrete floor. Another brain cramp in the file.

Cap'n
12-18-2005, 09:44 PM
It sounds like the table would be able to hold that much weight, but once you start moving it around then you have to account for sheer forces on the legs, casters, etc. I think it would probably fail unless the legs have some extreme cross-bracing.

KrazyKuch
12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
It might be good for a smaller tank but not a big one!!!

Murminator
12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
If you ever got it moving look out. Go outside and try pushing around a new Chevy Colbalt they weigh 2800 LBS just for giggles :mrgreen: