PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please slap me!!!

titus
03-16-2002, 02:23 AM
Hello,

Slap slap slap. I almost have a sump done but just prior to gluing the back on, I realized I made a fatal mistake. Check out the picture. The piece pointed by the arrow should have been turn around. Ouch. I am so mad I am jumping up and down!!!!!

What's worst is that I used 3/8" material, which cost twice as much! I'm gonna burst!!
http://www.canreef.com/images/mistake.jpg

[ 15 March 2002, 22:24: Message edited by: Titus ]

StirCrazy
03-16-2002, 02:49 AM
hmm... :D
happens to the best of us smile.gif how hard isit to take it off? or can you with out breaking it?

Steve

titus
03-16-2002, 03:41 AM
Hello,

The piece is glued on solid. Zero bubble and everything. I purposefully let the glue cure before going back to put the other piece on so no chance of taking it off. The sump is still good if put together, just that there will be either:
1) a piece of acrylic sitting there as shown in the picture, or
2) glue another piece on to form a baffle, then make a cutout at the middle to allow to flow through

Anyway, I wonder what I should do with this. Any suggestions? I don't want to give the customer this but I wonder if I should just put it aside and wait for someone interested before putting it completely together, or cut it up to make use of the material.

StirCrazy
03-16-2002, 04:35 AM
hmm could you drill a small hole in it and hook up a float valve to it for a top off? that might be a good recovery smile.gif

Steve

titus
03-16-2002, 06:33 AM
Hello,

I guess one can do that.

Troy F
03-16-2002, 12:43 PM
Cut it out Titus, for the price you do your acrylic work I'm sure your customer will understand. Now if you were charging what the other acrylic shops around town are, then I'd expect a perfect product.

StirCrazy
03-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Troy F, I would expect perfect work nomater what price I am spending. I know when I make something on a miller at work (on my lunch breaks)even though I am not getting paid for the project I still want it to be as good as I can make it. I don't want something bad out there and have some one say "who made that?" so I don't think Titue is worried about how much some one is paying for it as much as his personal pride in his work.

Steve

Troy F
03-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Sturkrazy, the point is, the material is really expensive, Titus has minimal mark-up and the mistake has already been made. Anyone who's seen his work knows he takes a great deal of pride in his work but in this instant a mistake has been made that can be easily remedied without compromising the performance of the item. "Stuff Happens".

titus
03-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Hello Troy,

I agree with Steve. I don't want someone come along and ask "who made this", only to have the answer to me "titus at canreef".