PDA

View Full Version : What to feed clownfish?

Doormatt
12-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I picked up a pair of captive bred clowns from OA yesterday, and I forgot to ask a vital question...What the heck do I feed these guys?

I've got:

Brine Shrimp
Bloodworms
Red or Green or Purple Seaweed Flakes (SeaVeggies)
Red or Green or Purple Seaweed Sheets (SeaVeggies)I've heard that the brine isn't the best for them, although they'll eat it readily. Personally, I figure bloodworms should be okay, but what I've read says they're omnivores, so I'm sure the seaweed will be okay as well.

Your thoughts?

Ruth
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
They will eat just about anything in my experience. I feed mine a mixture of homemade goop that contains lots of meaty stuff as well as nori, formula 1 and 2 flakes, cyclopeeze, garlic and selcon. They also readily accept mysis shrimp, which I believe is much more nutritious than brine. From what I have read brine shrimp, unless live or somehow gut loaded are sort of like popcorn - good to eat but does absolutely nothing for you nutritionally.

Biotech
12-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Ditto. They eat anything.

Doormatt
12-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Interesting...They just turned down seaweed flakes. Now, keep in mind this isn't a "flake" food, it's just dried seaweed.

Methinks I'll go buy a pack of frozen mysis shrimp later on.

Ruth
12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Matt when I feed mysis shrimp I thaw out the little cubes on a piece of paper towel and then rinse it in RODI water before mixing with some tank water to feed. I have read that there may be phosphates and other preservatives that they use when freezing this stuff that can build up in your tank over time. I don't know if it's true but why take a chance.

KrazyKuch
12-18-2005, 06:54 PM
My clowns will eat anything I throw at them except for sea veggies!!!!

andestang
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I also supplement mine with some cyclop-eeze flakes for good coloration.

Doormatt
12-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Even more intresting. They also turned down brine shrimp (frozen).

We'll see how they do with Mysis tomorrow.

KrazyKuch
12-18-2005, 10:37 PM
How big are they???

Doormatt
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Fairly small. Maybe a inch, inch and a quarter long?